Benelli Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw a tornado on ebay and under the spec it says "Slipper Clutch - Change gear without using the clutch"... Is that true? My understanding of the slipper clutch is that it slips the clutch when the engine is under load to avoid the back wheel locking or damage to the engine, ie if you are changing down at high revs... Am I on the right track or is there more to it that makes clutchless gearchanges easier or possible down as well as up the gears?

Cheers

Col

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Just saw a tornado on ebay and under the spec it says "Slipper Clutch - Change gear without using the clutch"... Is that true? My understanding of the slipper clutch is that it slips the clutch when the engine is under load to avoid the back wheel locking or damage to the engine, ie if you are changing down at high revs... Am I on the right track or is there more to it that makes clutchless gearchanges easier or possible down as well as up the gears?

Cheers

Col
Colin, you are on the right track fella!

I think someone doesn't know sod all about bikes when they wrote that trash!

Clutchless gear changes going down the box are possible, and once you get the knack, as easy as going up the box, you just do everything opposite and back off the throttle slightly whilst applying pressure to the change lever. I use it some times, but only when cruising, I certainly wouldn't try it if I was 'making progress'!

Andy

·
Registered
83 Posts
Tornadotre is spot on. Our tornado's are easy to crash box, although it has nothing to do with the slipper clutch. Fair play to you Tornadotre, i've downed cog's a few times without the clutch but more luck than judgement!:) :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Clutchless changes

Actually I have found clutchless upchanges to be far easier than using the clutch, especially under hard acceleration, but think this is due to the casette gearbox. Anyway doesn't help to get the thing in neutral:(

·
Registered
197 Posts
i only shift up without using the clutch.
When riding on a track, constantly using the clutch to shift up is killer for your clutch plates, and most instructors advice against using the clutch to shift up.

Downshifting is a different story ofcourse ;)

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
There are also big arguements in favour of using the clutchless method going up through the box when you are carrying a pillion - the gear changes are a lot smoother and more or less negate the whack in the back of the helmet from inexperienced pillions as they nut you!:doh:

·
1,231 Posts
Nuts!!

I won't ride pillions that have nuts. And I protect my nuts by having the boobied pillions keep their hands directly on my nuts thus negating any impact effects. Plus, it feels pretty good.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
I won't ride pillions that have nuts. And I protect my nuts by having the boobied pillions keep their hands directly on my nuts thus negating any impact effects. Plus, it feels pretty good.

Johnny boy, I think it has been lost in the translation slightly - nutting is a commonly used term in the UK for a headbutt, not getting rear ended by a ************!

Andy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts