Benelli Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
charged the battery today but still can't get it to turn over...seem to have the disengaging starter problem (manages a couple of turns but won't fire) then just "whirrs." Doesn't seem to be any issue witht he display though unlike some others on here.

dunno if this is relevant but put it in first gear and tried pushing it with the clutch in....generally that would take about 5% more effort than in neutral...now takes about 200% more effort...I'm talking stiff as hell...even down an incline just doesn't want to budge and will only move with me at full lean angle and my full 13 stones into it.

Back on charge now as the last efforts seemed to drain it from 12v to 8.5.

what a pisser - 3 hours of lovely sunshine and no ice on the roads and I can't get out...and now I can actually see the rain clouds approaching.:bawl:

Any ideas?

·
1,841 Posts
prob a cell gone in battery,get a load test by a battery supplier. The clutch is prob just sticking a bit due to cold/standing a while, A charged batt should read over 12 volts and after an attempt to start it will drop volts but should soon recover back to 12v,unless it is knackered. If the batt is tested good then worry more on the hard to turn over symptom.
Colin...

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers colin...battery is pretty new so doubt it is the problem.

Left it on charge last night but there was a power cut about 8 pm which turned the whole thing off so charging it again this morning..will see how it goes.

·
Registered
159 Posts
No help w/ the starter but as to your pushing problem, did you check the air in the tires? When my Tre came off the truck everything looked fine but pushing it around it felt like it weighed 1,000 lbs. Checked the tires and there was only 13psi in them. Aired them up and it moved like a dream :doh:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
No its not the tyres...although wouldn't be the first time I've missed something so obvious!

its fine in neutral

Bit concerned now as have charged the battery a few times now and still can't get it started...same story every time..one or two attempts sounds like its turning over and about to fire...then it just "whirrs"....after that it'll just whirr away and doesn't sound close to starting.

G

·

dunno if this is relevant but put it in first gear and tried pushing it with the clutch in....generally that would take about 5% more effort than in neutral...now takes about 200% more effort...I'm talking stiff as hell...even down an incline just doesn't want to budge and will only move with me at full lean angle and my full 13 stones into it.
Matey
Got Beni out yesturday and its just the same as yours when i try to push it when in gear. Really heavy but when the oil has warmed up it seems fine.. Maybe its to do with the slipper clutch. BUMP STARTS SEEM IMPOSSIBLE...
Its abit of a NO NO but try jumping it off your/some1's car battery. I wouldn't have the car running but a bigger battery on leads may just give your starter a bit of a kick to get it going, if not then it sounds like its the starter and she'll have to come out for inspection, Never done it but sure there are plenty of nelli owners on here who can tell you the bests way to go about it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers for that.

I'll give it a go from my car battery tonight...unless anyone thinks this is a bad idea????

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Ian, I wouldn't be doing anything until you have whipped that starter out and checked that the starter gears are OK.

If you have lost a tooth or two or the splined shaft is on the way out, you may be doing more harm than good in trying to start it again.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
thanks Laurence...i just came in from a short ride...finally got it started ok so must have just been a simple battery problem. :)

And one problem solved and I've got another.:mad: .the injection warning light is on...don't suppose that could be a gremlin as a result of the battery...my neutral light is another that stays on form longer than it should but at least it goes out after a minute or so!

Probably wishful thinking and a trip to Russ beckons!:bawl:

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Glad you managed to get it going again Ian........you were beginning to worry me there.

The injector light should turn itself off eventually after a few days and hopefully this has only been caused by the dodgy starting. Any faults will be logged on the ECU so Russ should be able to check this if you are taking it down to him soon.

By the way, I'm sure I saw a post recently that indicated that he may be organizing a service pick-up for Bikes up North which may save you a looooooooong ride down.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Evening Laurence...so glad you're still online as you've made my night with the news on the injector light! I'm guessing a real injector issue would be pretty obvious.

In saying that I'm long overdue a trip to Russ anyway. you're right, he is supposed to be arranging a group pick up of Scottish bikes assuming there's enough interest so just watching the forum and waiting for an announcement.

That was one horrible ride tonight...roads are wet and its just starting to freeze. Could hardly see a thing through my visor after the first lorry came past me...just salted up immediately. (No gags about salty helmets please...I know how some of the gents on here minds work)

Really got to get it down to Russ and back before May!!

G

·
Glad to hear that nelli lives again friend. Did you jump it in the end.
Not somthing i would make a habbit of but needs must wen the nelli wont start.
I'll back up wot Laurence said about the light. If it was serious then it would shut down completely.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ssshhhh...don't want to admit to jumping it off the car battery...but yes...that did the trick. The battery charger i have has a European plug and in my run of bad luck yesterday I managed to break the only Eurpoean to UK adaptor I have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts