Benelli Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all, I am currently looking at buying a new bike (for me) after 8 years of owning a Suzuki RGV 250. I have two bikes on my short list:
1, Triumph Daytona 650 and
2, Benelli Tornado
I have been reading the earlier posts on the Tornado and there have been one or two issues when the bike was released.
I am looking to buy a used Tornado.
So to my noob question.
Would all the initial running problems be fixed on a used bike? or would it be better to save for a new one?
The main issues which concerned me where the engine cutting out and the overheating issues.
Maintenance cost would not be an issue on a bike that looks this good.
Thanks Carl.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey Carl I bought a 2003 model after having a good look round for various italian bikes and come across a red tre with one lady owner and 2900 miles. No no matter what negative things you've read you've gotta get one. Fair enough the Triumph is british and a great bike but the sheer noise, handling and feeling you get from the benelli you just wont get from almost any bike! The only things I've found on mine is that cursed counter display resetting 'cos of the battery not holding enough ompth. Its not a worry as such you'll just find the clock and trip meter reset. I think they all do this. I got a few receipts from red dog with mine on recalls like the stand switch etc. Also there's a few silly things like mines had the neutral thing fixed but it can still be a little sh*ty gettin in neutral sometimes. The rest is history - the benelli isen't quick and yes it is a little quirky but you'll never look back. I've covered a 1000 miles in under a month as well as a trackday at brands on the std 207rr rubber and its been good as gold.

Goodluck either ways

Dean100yz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The real question...

Do you want to be just another bike in the crowd. I fly jets for a living and believe me, things go wrong occasionally with them. When they go wrong I still want to fly the next day. The Benelli will have things go worng. They will be small and nigly but with a bike as striking as this it doesn't matter!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dean100yz.
The clock reset dosnt sound too bad just a quirk of ownership and the RGV had a few quirks (or charms) of its own. Such as not running in the rain and many many gear changes due to lack of torque.
You have raised a point which I didnt think of and that is reciepts for the recalls in addition to the normal services.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Carl. Hopefully you'll keep your RGV250... that's a beauty. The Tornado is not going to handle like a 250 and the corner speed is not going to compare.

After the initial hassle of sorting things out with my '05 Tre (the usual stuff you read in this forum) it's running pretty good now. The 2-strokes runs pretty cool, however the Tre is not meant for stop and go traffic. I'm always watching the temperature gauage when riding it.

Once you get your Tre, just go through it to make sure everything's ok. I found it to be really nicely laid out, considering the amount of stuff that's on it.

Howcome the Bimota V-Due is not on your short list? :D

Toby

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My RGV has just come to the end of its usefull life i'm afriad. It was my first big? bike bought of a mate who raced them (but looked after them well) its on a Q plate so isnt worth much as a complete bike so it looks like it is going to broken into bits. It is a sad time but 8 years of trouble free running as a rider and owner I cant ask for anything more.
I am 32 now and I am slowing down (a bit) so dont need to race around anymore, it is more important to look and sound good.
I AM NOT A SHEEP I follow my own path so not even considered a fireblade....;)
As to why I havent considered a Bimota, I havent seen one for sale, rare as I would say.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
John Dowd

That guy is a legend. I gave up MX about 2 years back and am just starting to get back into it now. Im 24 and cant believe how hard it is from when I was 18-21 and yet im still a kid as such!! That blokes 40 and still going on strong. Respect to that....hang about im sure we were talking about something else on this site...hmmm:lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: John Dowd

...as long as it's 2-wheel related topic I'm sure Roland --our awesome ezOp-- wouldn't mind (too much ;) .) However, I am very intriqued... what kind of jet do you pilot johnyrottin?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Wanna buy my V-Due? It's in perfect condition, only about 35 miles on it (I rode it a little last week)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Whoa! Mark! you have a v-due? is it a fuel injected or carb model? Originally I called GPstar looking for a v-due but ended up with a Tre. please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tyes of aircraft

I have flown the majority of current US military aircraft to include the Talon, Talon 2, the new Texan training aircraft, etc. However, as was mentioned earlier, we do get older. At least our bodies do, our toys seem to just get more expensive. Since I now have a family and my lifestyle has adjusted accordingly, I am flying refuelers. If someone can explain how to get pictures on here I will attempt to put up one of my last jet and my harley. Don't have any with the Benelli yet.
8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: tyes of aircraft

Are you all in Americans on this thread?
Am I the only one from Blighty?
Doesnt matter anyway bikes and jet fighters what a mix.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: tyes of aircraft

johnyrottin, if you would e-mail me the picutre, I'll host it on my server and link it from this forum. Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good old blighty

reevos Im an essex boy through and through - theres a fair few from the UK on here, and I've seen a dew aussie's, french well all sorts!!

dean100yz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Good old blighty

Bloody good worldwide mix then.
I would imagine all our bikes would be wrapped up in the garage as a result of all the gritting going on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Clearing the cobwebs

the old road salts gettin a bit much now - the tre has an outside temperature gauge fitted and other than when in traffic its pretty accurate. I went out for a spin yesterday and it went down to 4 degrees celcius, and in the car later (after clubbin around midnight...ish) it was -2. Think this may be the last ride until atleast the weekend when I do my weekly burnham and tillingham run ;-) If you wanna clear a bike out this time of year do it on the track cos theres still good grip once the tyres are warm (as long as its not raining!). Around £60 will give you an all day session and you can normally turn up in the morning. Try www.focusedevents.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Clearing the cobwebs

Just around 30 -35 degrees in good old A U S T R A L I A

The Pilot Powers stick like @#%$ to a blanket.. any road anywhere..

Especially out west of Sydney, The Blue Mountains, Putty Road runs..

How are you Roland?

Rgds
tax

1 - 18 of 18 Posts