Benelli Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Fyule
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I wonder if anyone could enlighten me - just walked past the shed and heard what sounded like a geiger counter, upon closer inspection it seems to be coming from the front end of the Nelli, sticking my head under the screen ( got a double bubble so I canm get in there) it sounds like it is coming from the clocks or the lights, very odd.

My wife did mention a while ago that it was making a noise - I just told her it was pining to get out, but she was right.

Has anyone heard a noise like this from their bikes and if so did you pinpoint the source.

Thanks
Fraser

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
it's shivering from being let out recently in a Scottish winter, then being subjected to an icy bath :rolling:

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Hi Fraser,

I've only known this to happen to one other owner and it turned out to be that the battery was either running down low on power or was on the blink.

If you have power in your shed do you keep the bike on a battery conditioner?

·
Fyule
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Laurence you've hit the nail on the head, I'm surfing the net looking for a new battery for the bike as we type. When I got the bike I knew the battery was not great, but have had it on an optimate since I got it, but it does not hold charge. Great, the bike has an audio waring on the battery going low!

I know there has probably been a million and one threads of batteries for the bikes, what do you recommend, I had it down to 3, bearing in mind the battery I have currently on the bike is a Lead acid GS GT14-B4, I was looking at:
Westco AGM battery GT14-B4 with 135CCA
Dynavolt Nanogel MG12-b4 CCA 95
Dynavolt Nanogel MG14-b4 CCA110

I can get them for under £60.

ANy thoughts, cheers
Fraser

·
mid life crisis merchant
897 Posts
Hmmm that's strange cos normally you only hear two sounds from a nelli, one is the fantastic sound track when you cane the knackers out of them but the most common is the sound of pound notes leaving your wallet and going straight down the drain :rolling: ( we can't help but love them though ;) )

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Excuse my French but they sound like a load of $hit to me Fraser. They are cheap but they could turn out to be false economy.

This is what I would recommend:-

1. YT12B-BS 153x70x130 (125 CCA)(original)
2. PowerSonic PTZ14S 150x87x110 (145 CCA)
3. Yuasa YTZ12S 150x87x110 (210CCA)
4. Yuasa YTZ14S 150x87x110 (230CCA)
5. Dekka ETX9BS - replacement for YTZ14
6.I've got a Yuasa YTX12BS (180 CCA) in mine (150mm x 87mm x 130mm) It's a bit of a tight squeeze but works fine. :clap:

However if you are on a tight budget, I've also heard good things about Knightbatteries 150x87x110 (230 CCA)

·
Fyule
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Dynavolt MG12-b4 is the one that Bennets stock, so thought it would be OK, but I'm willing to pay more if a better battery is recommended, I will look at the ones you mentioned
Cheers, Fraser

·
5,934 Posts
I'm using a Dekka ETX9BS. It's rated at only 120 CCA but that's at 0F. Under normal use, it's WAY better than that. Mine, when new, produced 400 CCA at 20C.
I never leave it on a battery conditioner, although I've got one. It just doesn't need it.

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Sounds like you have a Monster Errol ...........and the Bike battery is not bad either :rolling:

Fraser, If Russ is recommending the Dynavolt then I guess it must be up to the job then :clap:

·
Fyule
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Folks

Ordered An Yuasa YTZ14S (230CCA) battery from SG motorsports on south coast at £62, thought this seemed OK, let hope it sorts the wee noise out.
cheers for the suggestions
Fraser

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hi Fraser,

wish you good luck with that noise. Hope it will be gone after you replaced the battery.

Seems that all the electric of the nelli is a bit sensitive for low batt.

I´ll cross my fingers for you.

Besides: As you maybe recognized, I also got one RS. Paid more than you and had no Superbike windshield. But ordered it from a dealer and now have.

Hopefully, I will have my new headlight soon and the tempserature will rise. Here, we only have 0°C during the day. Too bad. It´s time that spring is coming

·
Fyule
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi All
Fitted the new battery, YTZ14S, (fatter but shorter than the original), seems to have solved the 'odd noise' that I had, so must have been the dead battery, thanks for the advice, also Laurence, thanks for the battery recommendations, I will always bow to experience.:bow:
Odd thing I noticed, the new battery has been on charger for 4 days, went out and disconnected the optimate whilst I waxed the bike, popped the charger on again after an hour and it had the cheek to say the battery was back charging, even though the wee green 'good' light had been on for days!
cheers
Fraser

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
The optimate goes through a check sequence every time you connect it to the battery and it takes a few minutes to complete this but it should go back to reading fully charged pretty soon after that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts