Benelli Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the bike out for the first time today to try out my new wheels and got a total of just under 10 miles when disaster struck>:
I had stopped at a petrol station to fill her up and after paying for the gas I went back out to start her up. Put the key in the ignition, turned it and was greeted by the most awful rattling noise from the front of the bike:eek Gave it a little throttle to see what would happen and the noise just became more intense. So I managed to wheel the bike to the side of the garage to try again. Same noise but it started cutting out on me. I thought I would try once more and for some strange reason it seemed to clear itself (well almost). So I headed off back home and then realised that I could feel heat rising from up underneath the front part of the petrol tank and then I could smell it!!!! Burning:eek :eek
I managed to limp home and the left hand side fairing is scorching to touch, the fans haven't stopped at all and the distinct smell of burning plastic started to die off after a few minutes.
Tomorrow I'll be taking the fairings off to have a look but I guess KJM will be getting a call a lot sooner than they would expect me to call:evil :evil :evil

Pissed off to the max

Al:( :evil >: :eek: :rolleyes :\

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
10 miles Eh............ that must be a bit of a record for you with this bike!!!!!!!

Jeez Al, I just can't believe the run of bad luck you are having with that bike of yours. If it was anybody else, I'm sure they would have been driven round the twist by now.

It sounds a bit like you've been running 'dry'. You've not lost one of those replaced core plugs by any chance have you?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hard luck Al, I,ve almost dcided to change my tnt early next year because of the poor customer service, and always having that nagging feeling that the bike is going to let me down.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bloody sh*t, Al. This is to bad for words.
It must be a failure of the mecanic;)

If you take off the fairing please let us know what is wrong with your italian bitch. If possible post some pics.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As I said before, while they are not able to fix it, at least they try not to give back the bike as they got it. Therefore a high risk of damage is always there with a mechanic you don't know well.

They say the knowledge of the mechanics is increasing with the level of damage they make.

I am sorry, I was afraid that you had a problem with your wheels, but this looks even nastier the way you described it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well for some strange strange reason the running problems with the bike seemed to go away after I topped up the coolant (not by a lot mind you). Glen at KJM thought that there might have been an air pocket which was trapped in the system and I think that he may have been right.
Laurence came up today to have a look at the bike but could find nothing (thanks for coming up Laurence, even though we could find nothing it was great of you to offer you services .... it was much appreciated;) ).
So I took the bike for a spin and she seems to be running as sweet as a nut:b

Let's hope we get some good weather for me to really try these new tyres of mine out;)

Al8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Engine rattle

Hmmm, it just doesn't sound right, a lack of coolant does not cause a rattle. In my past experiences, the only bike that has had an intermitent rattle was an RS that eventually blew a balance shaft bearing.

If that rattle comes back, I'd have to think it is the same thing, problem is, your dealer will have to hear the rattle for him to go ahead and tear the engine down.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Engine rattle

Hmmm, it just doesn't sound right, a lack of coolant does not cause a rattle.
That thought is still in the back of my mind Johnny 0:eek:
Laurence and I thought that the rattle may have been the water pump, but just like you mate I'm still not convinced 100% that everything is okay:\ I'll just have to wait over the next few days/weeks (if she lasts that long) to see what's going to happen:rolleyes

Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Engine rattle

Big Bad Al, did you check that your sporran pins weren’t clanking on the tank or perhaps the empty Glenfiddich bottles “err rattling in there crates” :p ………….seriously mate I hope it was only a hiccup you’ve not had the best of luck so far love the wheels what are they like for cleaning.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Broken Benelli.

Hey Al, if your bike is truly buggered and you're looking to re-vanmp some of the outlay you have spent on the 'Nelli..... I'll give you 50 quid for the wheels!!!;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts