Benelli Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Tornado 900 TRE some days ago and has surprising discovered that it use 15-40W oil. I find it a little strange that a modern motor use this grade. Normally modern bike motors use 5-40W synthetic. Do any of you have an explanation why 899 motors needs 15-40W synthetic oil ?

·
Registered
131 Posts
According to my manual the Tornado should be "API SJ 15w/50(synthetic) JASO MA CC MC G4". this just happens to be the same spec as Mobil1 for motorcycles (generally accepted as one of the better oils). I have tried running mine on lighter oils and even though you would of thought the difference should be minimal there is a definate improvement with the correct oil, neutral works and she seems to run quieter.
Also in real terms the Nelli engine is probably at least 10 years old now in design, so isnt really that modern.

·
Registered
92 Posts
With multigrade oil Narrow band oils are generally better than wider band oils.

(example: 20w 40 has better lubrication than 5w 50...)

Also thicker oil on high temp is better for lubricating. (the second value of the multigrade oil)

I would go for the15w50 (as you would not ride in wintertime I assume)

On my ducati 955 (916sp) I use 20w60. Because of tolarances and high RPM. This bike gets really hot and does not lubricate well with 5w40

·
Fyule
697 Posts
hello chaps, I popped some fresh oil into my RS when I swapped the engines, used Motul, expensive but good, the other 15W40 option is silkolene, but I've been advised against it by quite a few people, lord only knows why, but I bow to their better judgement and experience. Hein Gericke do the Motul oils, although if you shop around you'll get it cheaper on line I suspect.
Fraser

1 - 4 of 4 Posts