Benelli Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just wondering if your Tornado consumes oil, and if so, how much?

Last week i had the oil pressure light coming up when braking hard, so i checked the level and it was below minimum :\ i had to add more than 0.5l before it was at an acceptable level and i think i can still put in more before it even reaches halfway between min and max. Now of course I dont know how much oil they put in at the last service (at 9500km 3 weeks ago, bike now has 13300 km) so thats something i check after the next service. But anyway, anyone ever encountered this?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
New one on me....my TRE does not use any oil at all and the pressure light has never come on under heavy breaking.... :|

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oil consumption

The Tornado's use a small amount of oil, nothing to worry about; the bikes have forged pistons for less reciprocating mass; forged pistons expand more when they heat up so they tend to let a little oil past when cold. This is my take on the matter :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oil Consumption

I have just returned from a 1300 mile (trouble free) trip around Europe. I topped the oil up before I left and the level was just above the low mark when I returned.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oil

Hi Laurance,

So how many litres did you have to replace when you arrived home.

Just so we know how many litres are being consumed over the 2400 Kms.

The Tre usually holds 3.5 litres of oil (with the oil filter)

Do you notice some oil (spotting) coming through the exhaust?

Cheers
Tax

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oil consumption

1/2 ltr was enough to take it from just above the minimum mark to just above half way up the viewing glass.

I didn't fill it right up to the maximum mark as it's due a service in about 2 hundred miles, but I guess another 1/2 ltr would have done the trick.

Can't say I noticed any oil coming through the exhaust though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Oil consumption

Thanks Laurence.

Good to know, so roughly a litre of oil burnt every 2500 Kms.

Regards
Taksil

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: re

Hello,

Mine seems to burn a bit more oil than what I would have thought to be normal, but then this is not a normal bike eh.. not for nothing that I named it 'ïl mistress'.. beautiful, temperamental and expensive to keep:rollin

I guess the oil burn could be due to the forged pistons Johnny O mentioned, I am running the race exhaust and map, so this may play a part too. It also could be the that the rough clutch heats the oil up a bit more..

Would be interesting to hear from the guys who have had the hydraulic clutch upgrade as to whether they have similar oil burn???

regards
Tax

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Been keepin an eye on my oil and havnt really found its used much at all. Did a trackday and thrashed the pants outta the poor girl and even then it was fine. I bought mine with 2500 miles, i put nearly a litre in it at 2900 and its got about 3600 now and it doesnt seem to have moved. Having problems working out how much antifreeze is in the expansion tank though - any idea's?

dean100yz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts