Benelli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Baldwin B1400 is the same physical size and same thread as the original. They don't have a cross on the Benelli part number (R180107101000).

The specs on the Baldwin B1400 are:
23 nominal microns
45 absolute microns

350 PSI burst pressure
75 PSI collapse pressure
175 PSI working pressure
14 PSI by-pass valve

Flow Rate: 3 Gallons per minute @ 5 PSI. 5 Gallons per minute @ 10 PSI.

Anyone able to measure the original?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am informed that Hastings part number that corresponds to the Baldwin (quoted in Engenia's post) is Hastings LF 113.

Also car model Mazda 323 has a similar item with identical specs including oil flow.

regards
Tax

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just talked to a Valvoline rep. Their nearest match is a V05. It fits the Mazda 323.
Ryco's Austn tech line is 1 800 804 541, email <[email protected]>
Ryco's possible match is Z436 (not Z79A as I previously posted)

Ryco will do a restriction test on my spare Benelli filter, and suggest an acceptable match.

Watch this space!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mazda oil filter

Hi Guys,

Will double check with the Mazda rep.

There are two filters, one is identical to the item on the bike, the other is an inch longer (which would be better providing there is room under the header pipes to fit it)

Recalling from my conversation with the Mazda dealership GM (who happens to be my neighbour) it is the current filter for the earlier model 323, but I will confirm once I recheck.

Guys with regards to Johnny O's advice re warranty claims..

Anyone who has a bike that is currently under the two year warranty period should try their dealer for OEM Benelli parts in the fiirst instance.

It was my idea to start this section to aid one another when benelli parts are unavailable (in some cases when the factory fails to ship within a resaonable time) or should the factory go belly up.

For those owners coming out of warranty periods, this sort of shared information is very welcome so please keep adding on info on spares as and when you come across it/them.

Thanks
Tax:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alternative oil filter

Quoted directly from an email received 27 July 2005, from GUD Automotive, Melbourne, Australia:-

"As per our telephone conversation, we have reviewed the Benelli filter you sent to us and have the following comments on it:

Dimensionally the filter is most similar to the Ryco Z436 filter. The only potentially significant difference is the seal to thread start dimension. On the Benelli filter this measures 9mm, whereas Z436 is 6mm. This should not cause a problem if the threaded spigot on the mounting pad is threaded far enough down. If not the thread will bottom out and you will not get good seal compression. You can test this by checking when the filter seal first contacts the mounting pad and then ensuring you get 2/3 of a turn beyond this. (this should be done by hand - if you need a tool to tighten to this level you may have bottomed out the thread). Note, some mounting pads have a nut or other features which require such a high seal to thread start which may also affect this.

I also noted that the Benelli seal is white in colour, this suggests the seal may be made from a silicone rubber (It is very difficult to get good physical properties with nitrile rubber without using Carbon Black). As silicone rubbers have a much wider temperature range, this may have been done to account for very high engine temperatures, or because the filter is sent all over the world (ie Canada where start up temperatures of -40ºC can be expected, to Saudi Arabia where ambient temperatures in excess of 50ºC are common). If it is the latter, you should have no problem in Australia with the nitrile seal in the Z436. If it is high engine temperatures, then there is the possibility of the seal taking a compression set, and after a period, you could get oil leaks from the seal area. In extreme cases the seal can vulcanise onto the mounting pad and be difficult to remove. I don't think this is likely, but if you try the filter keep an eye out for the first change or so.

We also have done a restriction test and the Z436 shows slightly lower restriction than the Benelli filter (see below). Therefore the filter is ok in this respect.

I cannot comment on the life or efficiency of the filter, but I can tell you that the Z436 media uses a high quality full flow oil filter media with an absolute micron rating of approximately 30microns. This is where 99% of particles are expected to be filtered out. The filter is most commonly used on late model (90s onwards) Mazda engines and late model Subaru engines, where change intervals of 12,500km are specified.

I hope this helps you, and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me and I will answer them as best as possible.

Regards

David Brooks
Engineering Manager
GUD Automotive

Flow&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Restriction (kPa)
Rate&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Ryco&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Benelli
l/m&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Z436&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 0180107101000
0&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 0&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 0
4.5&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 6&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 6
9.1&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 8&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 9
13.6&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 11&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 15
18.2&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 14&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 20
22.7&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 20&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 25
27.3&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 23&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 30
31.8&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 30&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 36
36.4&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 35&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 41
41&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 42&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 47
45.5&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 46&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 55

I haven't tried it yet, but will check it out at my next filter change, in another 5000 k's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oil filter

For the UK guys here try K&N part number HP-1008
there meant to be good and fit also an exact model and the site actually lists benelli is www.hiflofiltro.com they make one for the benelli and I've used hiflo in the past with good results (well she never blew!). I think the cost of both is around £8

dean100yz

·
5,889 Posts
Another Alternative Oil Filter

ScottsPerformance
in the US make a stainless steel mesh oil filter for the Triumph triples. The product number is S1. It fits the Tornado. See pix below.

The beauty of this, is that it can be taken apart, cleaned & re-used. The side benefit, is that you can see what's been filtered, and maybe head off any pending disaster (eg.cam chain worn excessively)
Not cheap, but worth it.

·
5,889 Posts
Bloody brilliant! It's seen 1 oil change already.
Bit scary seeing all the filtered particles though.
The extra magnet collects iron better than the sump plug magnet. It sees all the oil, not just what happens to pass nearby.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Does anyone know the OD diameter of the oil filter. I am away from the bike for a few days and have a friend that has a few filtermags and is willing to part with one.

Thank You

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Bloody brilliant! It's seen 1 oil change already.
Bit scary seeing all the filtered particles though.
The extra magnet collects iron better than the sump plug magnet. It sees all the oil, not just what happens to pass nearby.
A risk with some magnetic filters is that once the metalic bits form into a magnetised 'clump', they break off and re-enter the oil system. Does the Scott retain / filter these out?

·
5,889 Posts
A risk with some magnetic filters is that once the metalic bits form into a magnetised 'clump', they break off and re-enter the oil system. Does the Scott retain / filter these out?
Yep, it's on the filter input side. So if it does break away, it'll end up in the filter itself.

·
5,889 Posts
The Scotts re-usable oil filter might not be such a good idea after-all. I just removed it to clean (6th time) to discover it's collapsed. On closer, microscopic inspection, it's full of debris. This, after cleaning it in kero, and blowing it out as they recommend.
I sent them an email 24 hrs ago, but no response yet. We'll see .....

·
5,889 Posts
Just talked to Scotts.

Scotts reckon that the filter is clogged with clutch debris, and NO filter bypass will allow enough oil to bypass in that situation - seems bullshit to me. In fact, it IS bullshit. I just talked to the engineering manager of GUD Automotive, the co. the makes the Ryco brand, and he was adamant that the bypass valve should be able to take the full flow without the filter crushing. Their product is designed & tested to do just that.

Scotts are looking into a suitable cleaning fluid that will dissolve this muck - would have been nice to get an "heads up" on that development.

Scotts are also recommending ultrasonic cleaning - now.

Scotts are NOT going to send me a new filter free of charge ..... and I'm NOT going to spend $AUD 120 for something that they clearly haven't got sorted.

I'm going back to using a Ryco Z436 disposable paper filter, and I'll be opening it up to check the collected debris at every change.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hi Errol,

wow, that´s bad news. I was about to order one for mine. But guess, I will postpone it.

Thanks for sharing your experience

·
3,081 Posts
ryco

at 10-12 bucks, I can do a few oil changes before its cheaper than one of those Scotts ones, go ryco 's 436, aussie quality all the way. I agree about the bypass, otherwise why have one if it cant handle full flow in a emergency??!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts