Benelli Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All,

Quick question. I tried to search but didn't get any hits.

Are the oil filters from the 900 and 1130 the same? I'm finally coming up on the 600-mile mark and will need to change the oil and filter. I'm assuming my local Benelli dealers will only stock 1130 parts since the 900's weren't really sold here.

Also, is it essential for the bike to go in for it's 600 mile service or can I just change the oil/filter and take it in at 3,000mi?

·
5,931 Posts
Are the oil filters from the 900 and 1130 the same? I'm finally coming up on the 600-mile mark and will need to change the oil and filter. I'm assuming my local Benelli dealers will only stock 1130 parts since the 900's weren't really sold here.

Also, is it essential for the bike to go in for it's 600 mile service or can I just change the oil/filter and take it in at 3,000mi?
Can't be sure, but the 2 engines are essentially the same, so it stands to reason that the oil filters are too.
There are lots of alternatives though. Have a look here.

My first service was purely oil + filter as you suggest. Some dealers may check other stuff that's about to fall off, but you can do that as well. I think that Bennetts also remove the sump, and clean up any debris left over from manufacture. I did this many thousands later, and found quite a bit of rubbish in there. The pick up filter keeps it out of the oil pump, and the oil filter does it's job too, before the oil sees the rest of the engine.

·
903 Posts
The 1130 and 900 Tornado's use the same oil filters. The alternaitive to the official Benelli oil filters is a HiFlow filter, part no HF553, this will work just as well and is half the price for all you price watchers!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Dont know about the USA but here in the UK if you dont get a dealer service history, it can effect your warranty, see the booklet than came with the bike to clarify the situation.
Also it helps when it comes to resale value, I always like to see a full dealer service history when i buy a 2nd hand bike, good luck with the 1130, Steve.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dont know about the USA but here in the UK if you dont get a dealer service history, it can effect your warranty, see the booklet than came with the bike to clarify the situation.
Also it helps when it comes to resale value, I always like to see a full dealer service history when i buy a 2nd hand bike, good luck with the 1130, Steve.
Here in the states it is illegal for a manufacturer to deny warranty work for not using dealers for service UNLESS that service is provided for free. So for instance BMW (cages) here come w/ 4 years of service for free so you must use their dealers for all service or risk having your warranty voided.

So as long as you keep good notes and receipts for the work you did they can't deny you unless you did something stupid (rode without oil or something like that).

This is my first exotic so Idk what the resale market is like but in my years of running Jap bikes I've found if someone keeps good notes on maintenance it doesn't change the value.

Thanks for the info Lloyd. I'll just pick up a Benelli filter for this first change and worry about finding a substitute next time.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Wow thats great, I wish it was like that here, the manufacturers (not Benelli dealers of course, because they are pretty good to be fair) have us over a barrell !

·
Registered
864 Posts
Wow thats great, I wish it was like that here, the manufacturers (not Benelli dealers of course, because they are pretty good to be fair) have us over a barrell !
Not now with block exemption rules. As long as your bike / car has been serviced according to the manufacturers specifications with parts that are equivelant or superior to oem - your warranty must be honoured. I have never taken a bike to a dealer other than parking up to purchase parts or consumables for my home maintenance / servicing. Even before the block exemption regulations I have never had an issue with a few bikes that required warranty claims. Car dealerships used to enjoy the dripping roast of servicing that had to come back through their doors but they are having to fight hard for servicing work now as cars can be taken to indipendents that are still under the manufacturers warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts