Benelli Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh dear its looks like my 6 week old tnt has sprung a leak

On the left side low down there is a rubber bung which it looks like is leaking oil

anybody any ideas what that is:(

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
On the left side low down there is a rubber bung which it looks like is leaking oil

anybody any ideas what that is:(
Yep, that's the golden liquid stuff that you put in the engine to lubricate it........thought that you would have known that Eric. :rolling:

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

Its rubber and its stuck where its hard to see [get the message]:)

What is it now?

and why is it leaking on a 1900 mile bike?

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tosh came in by to see it today and it does not look good

He's trying to get a hold of russ to find out if it can repaired insitu or it the engine has to be taken out of the bike and the cases split

Something I am not very happy about on a 6 week old bike, i feel this should not be the case as the bike would seem not fit for purpose

Something I had to go through with a VFR800vtec which only got resolved when i got my solicitor to sort it out and a new bike sourced

I seem to have got a lemon as the speedo the tacho a rear light and now this have gone kaput

And tosh is still waiting for Motogb to send a speedo [5 weeks]and speedo sensor[2 weeks]

I love the bike but not the back up

·
Registered
403 Posts
Tosh came in by to see it today and it does not look good

He's trying to get a hold of russ to find out if it can repaired insitu or it the engine has to be taken out of the bike and the cases split

Something I am not very happy about on a 6 week old bike, i feel this should not be the case as the bike would seem not fit for purpose

Something I had to go through with a VFR800vtec which only got resolved when i got my solicitor to sort it out and a new bike sourced

I seem to have got a lemon as the speedo the tacho a rear light and now this have gone kaput

And tosh is still waiting for Motogb to send a speedo [5 weeks]and speedo sensor[2 weeks]

I love the bike but not the back up
Oh well, would seem that maria and mario was keeping the use of that recommended three bond paste 1215 to a minimum, must have been some budget cut backs, T
To do it properly, the cases would HAVE to be split, and it think that you already know that. These cases at this point carries the main bearings.

I would dare say, that you are not impressed, i myself would not at that 6 weeks, but mine had the same issue at the same time frame. I take things like that as a non event on benelli's, beleive me it can be much much worse, like the clocks going out.

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well she's off to get looked at and hopefully fixed before I come back my holidays as I wont be a happy bunny with no bike to come home to

I might even hire a scooter on majorca/mallorca for some fun in the sun

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heyhey the love of my life is home and hopefully fixed without a case split

Tosh reckons it was a hose union under the bike getting blown up the side of the engine so hopefully he's right

Came up the road in the pissin rain and i think the speedo is reading high

Im sure of it i was not going that fast, honest:rolling:

·
Fyule
697 Posts
Hi Eric

Glad you've got the bike back and seems OK, glad it was a simple fix, and I bet you are mightily releived at that, even though it would all have been covered by warranty.

As for the speedo reading high, spinning up the rear were you?:ele:

Hopefully we'll all get another rideout together, must round the troops up soon.

Fraser

·
Registered
403 Posts
Heyhey the love of my life is home and hopefully fixed without a case split

Tosh reckons it was a hose union under the bike getting blown up the side of the engine so hopefully he's right
Horse-Sh*t :doh:

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well mallard your right

Went for a blast tonight and its still leaking

It now looks like its coming from below the alternator

Im getting kind of pissed off now

Im supposed to go to Tomintoul [137 miles] on saturday to take pics of where I crashed 3 years ago for my lawyer, cant go with oil dripping off the engine

·
Registered
113 Posts
oil leak

Hi Dynamo dont panic just yet, It seems from your post that it could just be a problem with the alternator O ring, If so its just a 30 min job to replace:)

·
5,934 Posts
Agree with dodgy, that's easy. Job done in no time. Done it myself.
The alternator must have been off recently, & replaced without shortening the original o-ring, or renewing it entirely. It's been pinched off when the alternator was slid into place.

·
Registered
403 Posts
looks true

Agree with dodgy, that's easy. Job done in no time. Done it myself.
The alternator must have been off recently, & replaced without shortening the original o-ring, or renewing it entirely. It's been pinched off when the alternator was slid into place.
yes by the look, oil running down the casing join, that is the issue. take it off, and take it too an o-ring place, they can fit the new o-ring to size.
buy a couple, and some 243 and 648 loctite. eyeball the alternator bolt, make sure the special washer is in there and put it back on.

PM me with e-mail address and i will send you the updated factory sheet to show what needs to be done.

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thnx mallard but she is only 7 weeks old so it will get done on warranty

I decided to take the chance and went off the tomintoul for the day[260 miles]. I just stopped every now and then and wiped the little oil that had run down the casings,

Off touring again next week do need to get it sorted this week

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok oil leak is hopefully a in the past as the alternator seal was knacked

At the same time the speedo was changed for the r4 version which not only works but its now possible to see the indicator, neutral lights etc

Also sorted was the one of the rear lights which had stopped working and all conections from the speedo head were waterproofed

Tosh also tinkered with the mapping and its amazing how the character has changed. The throttle used to be so fast but he has smoothed that out a lot which has induced a little hesitation on a steady throttle. But the biggest change seems to be at the top end where it obviously had a flat spot which i could sometimes feel. now it just keeps pulling and pulling ad pulling and pulling and pulling and pul.................................:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts