Benelli Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if any of you nice people out there have had a similar problem. I put my Benelli Tornado Tre away last week with no problems. This weekend it refused to start. The ignition comes on but that is as far as it goes because the word OIL flashes on the display. The manual tells me to add oil but the oil level is fine (just below max). I think it must be a sensor or wiring fault. I downloaded the workshop manual but this doesn't tell me where the sensor is. Any advice welcome (apart from 'take it to your nearest Benelli authorised dealer'!)Thanks
AW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oil Warning

It may be nothing to do with the Oil warning as this always flashes until the engine is running and the oil is up to pressure.

Does the engine turn over at all when you turn the key & press the start button or is it not even doing that?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oil warning

Thanks for the reply. No the starter doesn't work and the engine doesn't turn. I have only had the bike 2 weeks and I might be being stupid. The side stand is up and the bike is in neutral.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Andrew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: oil warning

I'm certain that your oil level is fine. The display always flashes "Oil". Make sure that your battery is charged and that you pull in the clutch and the engine switch in on. Otherwise, you might check fuses.

Hope this helps,

Joel

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

One idea, as stupid as it sounds its easily done. Ignore the oil flashing on the dash, only worry if it comes on when riding :b instead. When you switch the ignition on, obviously disalarming the benelli/meta alarm & switching the key to 'on' within 30 secs, check the right side switchgear of your bike. If the red button is pushed in nothing will happen. Mine stuck once enough to make the bike turnover but not start - a bit of WD40 soon sorted it though.

There just idea's to be honest. If they dont work and the bike still turns over without starting etc there could also be a possibility that although the alarm is allowing you to switch on the bike so to speak the immobiliser may be cutting the engine from starting (ive had this happen on cars when the key robs reset themselves) in which case you will have to go to a benelli dealer to have it reset.

Goodluck!!!

Dean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bike not starting

Thanks Joel. I will check the fuses. The bike has been on the Benelli charger all week so the battery should be fine.
I will check the fuses.
Thank you once again.
Andrew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

dispite the neutral and the side stand you also need to handle the clutch. So contact on (alarm off), side stand up, gears in neutral and clutch in. then normaly your beauty has to start.:rolleyes

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is your battery stock? I had the exact same problem before, even if I had the battery charged the bike still wouldn't start. If you tested it with a volt meter and it's not quite 12V, it wouldn't start. And even if the battery read 12V still it might not start either (water/acid mix below the marks in the cells...) The best thing to do would be to replace the damn cheap FIAMM battery with an Yuasa unit. model number YT12B-4.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@#%$ battery

mine did the exact same thing, had it on a charger all week, a multimeter read 13v, all controls in correct position, I found the battery was on the way out, the bike eventually started that morning but a few hours later on a ride to uni the bike completely died going round a corner with a truck up my ass. Seems the utter crap chinese battery dropped a cell, I dont know what brand it was, is wasnt a Fiamma, just had chinese characterers all over it, replaced with Yuasa as toby mentioned, not a problem, also check the bracket of the ecu, this is directly under the riders seat, some people have had the brackets sharp edge cut though there wiring loom.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: @#%$ battery

you know what Nathan... you're right... it was a Taiwan made battery with Chinese all over it. It was not a fiamma. My Tre cut off right in the middle of an intersection the day I brought it home. Never in my 20 some years of riding had I had to push a bike from the middle of a street to a curb.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: @#%$ battery

I don't think that the side stand has to be up, but the clutch lever, as I stated earlier, must be pulled in. Make sure that the wires on the clutch lever are okay as well.

The Chinese batteries are crap. Even though they read 13+ volts, they don't have the cranking power to handle the bike. That is why we put a brand spanking new Yuasa battery, properly filled and slooooow charged by yours truly, in each and every Tornado we get. I've only been here since the beginning of the year, so it is a fairly new policy, but we'll continue to do so. They cost us over $80 each, but otherwise your bike won't run. Funny thing is, the TNTs come with Yuasa batteries new in the box :)

Cheers,

Joel

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TnT comes with The Yuasa eh?

:x

So looks like the factory knows that there is a problem with crap batteries and the load the bike requires in order to fire up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: TnT comes with The Yuasa eh?

Hope you might av got it sorted know, but just check the wire going into the clutch switch as mine done the same & all it turned out to be the wire had slightly pulled off the terminal under the rubber cover.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts