Benelli Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally had some time after picking up RS last week to check it over before got a pass to go out tomorrow morning...

Wont start though.
"Oil" is displayed on the dash and red light is flashing.
Does this automatically stop the bike starting? Press the starter and nothing happens.

Looking at the sight glass cant tell if its over-filled or not enough oil... see pic below. Also looks different from manual and has a metal piece showing in the window. If I do need oil pretty sure it has semi-synthetic. Does this need to 10W/40 as opposed to 15W/50 for Synthetic as stated in the manual? Looking at old service sheets has been filled with semi 10W/40 in the past.
The previous owner just did an oil and filter change and it has done zero miles according to service book since this was done.

Any help greatly appreciated! Dont want to overfill if already too much oil.
Thanks,
Dino

·
ENGLAND FOREVER
1,565 Posts
Hi Mate, my Oil warning symbol flashes when i turn my ignition on & i think this is correct. As for not starting, make sure that you are pulling the clutch in, i didnt do this when i got my one & looked a right plonker when i found out.
Also make sure its not in gear with the stand down.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mate, my Oil warning symbol flashes when i turn my ignition on & i think this is correct. As for not starting, make sure that you are pulling the clutch in, i didnt do this when i got my one & looked a right plonker when i found out.
Also make sure its not in gear with the stand down.
Ah-ha... nope... wasnt pulling clutch in.
So Oil flashing in display is OK with ignition on then. I guess if it flashing once running then do have to worry!!!

Right back tothe garage to wheel bike outside and try again. Back shortly!

(PS. Your Fortuna Benelli looked very nice at Ace Cafe last weekend :) )

·
Registered
74 Posts
oil light

HI, I HAVE A TRE AND THE OIL FLASHING ON THE DASH IS THE NORM, AS LEE SAYS CLUTCH in, master stop in correct, position, netural and it should turn over. cheers nastyf1:D

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It lives!

Thanks all. Clutch it was. :bow:
What a dweeb!

Sounds great too... even on the standard can.
Cant wait for tomorrow morning.

No oil light once started.
Still wondering why cant see level in the sight glass though.
Think I need to top up coolant too. Will wait until it cools down before checking everything again.

·
ENGLAND FOREVER
1,565 Posts
Ah-ha... nope... wasnt pulling clutch in.
So Oil flashing in display is OK with ignition on then. I guess if it flashing once running then do have to worry!!!

Right back tothe garage to wheel bike outside and try again. Back shortly!

(PS. Your Fortuna Benelli looked very nice at Ace Cafe last weekend :) )
Its an easy mistake to make mate, i have always had Yams & Kwakers & you dont have to pull the clutch in to start them, when i got my one i was ready to put a hammer through it until i came on the forum & some kind soul put me straight. I am not really the tech bloke on the forum but i think that the Oil symbol is on until the Oil pessure builds up, sure Colin or one of the other Techies will confirm or deny this. Thanks for the kind words about my Baby, all compliments gratefully recieved :clap: :clap:

·
ENGLAND FOREVER
1,565 Posts
Holly shit.......I got something right.......Its a bloody Miracle :ele: :ele: :ele: :ele: :ele: :ele:

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Well done Lee!!!...Oh, and if your bike was standing upright when you took the pic of your oil level sight glass Dino you are filled to the max so enjoy your run :clap:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
....... i think that the Oil symbol is on until the Oil pessure builds up, sure Colin or one of the other Techies will confirm or deny this.
Spot on Lee :clap:

...another point to remember is that it takes a fair few minutes for the oil to drain down to show the level in the sight glass. Gsve me a fright not long ago :)

·
ENGLAND FOREVER
1,565 Posts
Spot on Lee :clap:

...another point to remember is that it takes a fair few minutes for the oil to drain down to show the level in the sight glass. Gsve me a fright not long ago :)
Ill give myself a pat on the back :lager: :lager: :lager:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well done Lee!!!...Oh, and if your bike was standing upright when you took the pic of your oil level sight glass Dino you are filled to the max so enjoy your run :clap:
Cheers and yep - on rear paddock stand - so upright with a bit of forward tilt :)

·
1,841 Posts
Dino, dont fill the coolant to the level mark on the tank. The tank is just a catch tank.It catches coolant if the pressure opens the cap seal.If you have coolant in the tank, then if it opens the cap for a reason then it blows whatever is in the catch tank straight out in front of the rear tyre.
Note,it is not an expansion tank. Errols site prob has details.
colin

·
Registered
271 Posts
Dino, dont fill the coolant to the level mark on the tank. The tank is just a catch tank.It catches coolant if the pressure opens the cap seal.If you have coolant in the tank, then if it opens the cap for a reason then it blows whatever is in the catch tank straight out in front of the rear tyre.
colin
yep ... and I bloody freaked out when it happened to me :(

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
When you bike has been standing too long you will get oil then BATT flashing then it might not start.:bawl: If you are leaving a long time buy a maximiser:clap: unless you already have one:clap: .

·
No good with spanners....
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,418 Posts
oh yeah,i did the clutch thing,was about to give the dealer both barrels after they had cleared off from delivering it:doh: :doh: felt a right twat:rolling: :rolling:

my Tre is on an optimate and i get batt then oil in the clocks at startup;)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
colin
Cheers.. just been reading Errols site:
http://www.engenia.com.au/03_Maintenance/15_FillingCoolant/CoolantBleeding.html

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When you bike has been standing too long you will get oil then BATT flashing then it might not start.:bawl: If you are leaving a long time buy a maximiser:clap: unless you already have one:clap: .
I got that this afternoon.. Bat then Oil... then the Bat disappeared.
Already have an Optimate, so have put on my Optimate connector to battery terminals now... and its on charge whilst we speak (although battery is quite new according to prev owner).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Cheers and yep - on rear paddock stand - so upright with a bit of forward tilt :)
If you're at the max level when on the rear paddock stand you actually have slightly overfilled. All other bikes I've owned you check the oil when the bike is level.

When I did my first oil change I filled it to the max when on the rear stand. Then when I lowered the bike onto the ground the entire sight glass was full of oil. :mad: So I drained a little out to where it's at max when the bike is level. Here's what my LE looks like when on the rear paddock stand:

And here it is when level:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts