Benelli Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-de-hi

Just a quickie...apart from getting a puncture (feeling the front tuck on a roundabout on a busy Saturday aint good...kept it sticky side down luckily) I also noticed a large plume of oily smoke discharge on startup....on closer inspection noticed that oil was running quite low.

This has gone from full after the service to about Min in @1000 miles. Is this normal?

Previous big bikes I've had usually need a little sip after about 1000 miles but not about 1/2 litre.

Can't see any leaks or owt

Is it normal or are the Benelli gremlins about to lunch me engine?

BTW ColinT CD's in the post

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Drinking Oil!

I think this is quite normal, on my run back to the UK I managed to burn off most, if not all the oil in my sump!
I don't remember what the capacity of the sump is, however I managed to put a litre of oil in on my return and it still hasn't even registered in the window! Another litre or so will be going into it when I get back to the UK this weekend (the bike's still there, I'm not riding it back with a empty sump!) as soon as I can remember how much is supposed to go in it!

Can anyone help? How much is the bike supposed to hold?

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oil Capacity

Hi Andy,

The Workshop manual states:-
3.8 ltr with filter
3.5 ltr without filter

Hope this helps,

Laurence

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Oil Capacity

Cheers matey, I have packed all my stuff into boxes and is currently waiting pick up to be delivered back to the UK, so I couldn't check the manuals.

Think I'd best go and buy some more oil when I get home!

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Niquem, the oil use sounds ok. I used about 1/2 ltr in first 300 mls,but very little now. You dont want to be too gentle or the bores glaze. I had a kawa rx1000 and after 1000 mls it was smokey and using oil ! i did not realise how fast it was, so i had been treating it like a baby ! after i did the 1/2 mile sprint at brighton 155 terminal,and a bit more fast riding it used virtually no oil, and no smoke.
By the way the cd came today ! ,thanks a lot matey.
I will buy you a beer if we ever meet, and i will stick a note in a charity box as you suggested. Thanks again.:D :lol :lol :lol :lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I prefer the 'loading' way of running in anyway...so no fear of glazing bores..

I checked the oil a couple of weeks ago and it seemed fine then within 300 miles it went down to min....just seemed a bit quick s'all.

Had 160 (on the speedo) out of mine so far ...there was still abit to go n'all

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Oil usage

Niquem, I run a TNT but the engines are basically the same. I have never had to top up the oil (bikes got over 11k on the clock) it only gets and needs oil when having a service...... I've always thought the benelli's were not oil burners....... in 3rd gear Try getting the revs well up then shut the throttle of and coast for as long as possible (until revs are down to 1500rpm ish) then wack the throttle open if you get a fair amount of smoke that usually indicates piston rings if the only time you see oil smoke is on initial start from a long stand this usually indicates valve guide/seal wear.......... my brother had a kwaker 12R only 18 months old and it guzzled oil the only indication was puffs of smoke when gunning the bike a compression test confirmed piston probs after a new engine which developt the same problem he exchanged it for a gixer 1000 k6 keep us posted.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oil use

Mines an '03 and I cant say its ever really used more than just a few 100ml. Got mine with 2500 miles, its got around 6500 been around brands and Isle of Man + some good long road rides. I was under the impression these engines wern't oil burners??

Maybe its just a new lump and settling in but keep us posted

Dean100yz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts