Benelli Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
On Everybody's Buddy List
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Tornado Tre is approaching 3,000 km and I was wondering how much oil the bike will generally use at this stage. For example; would it burn half a litre over a 300 km trip if nicely tuned?
:confused: (Should my oil always be Ester based 15/50?)

Illene.

·
903 Posts
Oil

:p

I did not have to add any oil to my Tre in between services, even after a weekend racing the bike at Misano.

I use Silkolene Comp 4 semi synthetic in all my bikes and never had any problems or had to top up. 0.5 litre of oil just to travel 187.5 miles seems a bit excessive, I have not heard of any other members bikes using oil to this degree.:(

·
AndrewT
41 Posts
If mine uses oil I will scream

After a lot of deliberating I have just got a Tornado; one reason because my Ducati drank oil. If the tornado uses oil I will scream.

AndrewT:D

·
1,841 Posts
oil

Benelli recommend 15/50 synthetic, but more important is the spec, the spec is...... jaso-maccmcg4
......acea a3
......api sj
(or higher)
whether synthetic, semi synthetic, or mineral these numbers basically mean the oil has been tested to meet standards.So effectivly do the same job.
My rs has not required any oil in 1000miles, if the engine is not put under much load it may not bed in properly,causing it to burn oil. most engines will use a bit of oil at first.

·
On Everybody's Buddy List
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry if anybody misunderstood. I wasn't actually saying that I had burnt any oil. The bike is fine. Was just suggesting a figure for comparison sake. Thanks for the input.

Illene.;)

·
5,889 Posts
oil use?

1/2 litre in 300 km is a bit high. Maybe in 1000km. It'll depend on how it was run in. If it was babied, the rings won't have seated as best they could, and it'll burn oil, and be lower on compression than it might have been.

As a comparison, the oil level on mine doesn't change between services, but it may be replacing oil with petrol, as it definitely thins out with use. This hasn't shown up in the testing though, so maybe something else is happening. I'll have to ask the lubrication engineer who tests it.

·
Unofficial Factory Tester
166 Posts
Oil usage

My first Tre engine was OK, the next one seemed to drink a bit more oil than I liked, did not smoke or anything but a 600km trip would drink up around half a litre.

The new RS engine doesn't seem to suffer from this as yet:bow:

·
Unofficial Factory Tester
166 Posts
Anyone have any experience with Motul oils???

I was using Silkolene 4pro plus 10/50 which was good,

tried using Motul's race oil last winter and I actually had starting problems in that the nelli did n't want to fireup as if there was some slippage.

New RS engine came with Shell from the mechanic's

trying to source Silkolene but they are out of stock, so thinking og going back to Motul..

Any other owner use Motul and if so please advise

thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts