Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Just Went Out To Go For A Ride Into Town And Did All The Norm,
Put Key In,turned It,held Clutch In Pushed Starter Button And Nothing.
All Is Working,lights,horn,blinkers And So On.but It Won't Tick Over At All.

Any Thoughts On What The Hell......

Thanks
Madwog

·
Registered
34 Posts
Has your battery sounded at all suspect in the last starts? Mine died on a trip within 6 hours it wouldn't turn the starter. Park lights ignition etc worked but nothing on starter. If you can crash start it and it rides ok until you turn it off then slow to turn over or nothing the Chinese battery is shagged.

·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no mate it has not sounded sus,but tomorrow i'll have a go at crash starting it
and then see how it go's.thanks Hamil

·
Registered
403 Posts
no starty

I had a problem, where the phonic wheel unscrewed and the timing pickup never picked up anything, but it cranked over, noted by punching a hole in the plastic cover by the side of the crank. but doesnt sound like a problem of yours

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Nothing happens?

Sounds like a problem with one of the inhibitor circuits eg Kill switch, Clutch switch, sidestand switch. There's also the starter relay which switches between starter and resetting the trip computer. If the lights & indicators work, the battery is probably OK.

If the lights turn off when you press the start button, the bike is "seeing" the button press which tells you something useful
If the lights dim, its probably trying to turn the starter

You're probably going to need a meter and the wiring diagram to get much further but its always worth wiggling the connectors to the Kill switch, clutch, switch, sidestand switch. Even better if you can get a slave to press the button whilst you wiggle - although it might suddenly start and make you foul yourself

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sounds exactly like mine when the clutch switch went out.

Pull back the rubber sleeve on the switch that is screwed into the clutch lever then pull out the two wires and twist them together.

It will just disable the clutch safety switch.

If that is what is wrong it is also an Aprilia part.

Good Luck

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
I know 5 TNT's that have the white connector problem (see my post last week) its a connector under the seat with white link wires hanging out of it this connector disables the ignition and fuel pump but everything else works wiggle the wires spray with WD40 and try starting again (turn kill switch off then back on first)
Good luck

Terry

·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK just been out playing around with the wires,wiggled and cheaked all the sensors,clutch,sidestand,starter button,all the fuses and wires.
even sprayed WD40 down into the white wires under the fuses box under the seat.
even tryed to roll start it
tryed it in 2nd,4th,5th and 6th gear and it would not start.
all the fuel pump and other noises work, but won't start.
it's got me dumb founded:confused: :confused:

·
3,085 Posts
easy

its cursed, only incineration will cure it :D
so what do you get, powered dash? headlight, etc, maybe a lead to the starters vibrated off? the battery could have dropped a cell, enough V to power the dash, but not enough to throw out the starter solenoid, does it go tickatickaticka when you hit the starter?
remove battery and try hooking up a car battery

·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its cursed, only incineration will cure it :D
That did cross my mind:D
not even a tickaticka when you push the starter button
i'll try the car battery tomorrow,if i can find a spare battery.
but it doe's have a full tank of fuel in it:D ;) :D ;)

·
1,841 Posts
Ok, so its in neutral,ignition on,sidestand up,fuel pump makes a noise. So (from wiring diag) put a volt meter on terminal 3 (bl/ve colour) and terminal 4 (ne) of the starter relay,does it get 12 volts when starter button pressed ?
The manual also states to check for 12 volts at ye/gr and black (earth) wires at starter relay.
ye/gr = yellow/grey.
Of the 4 wires 1 and 2 appear to be the power out to fuses so they should be live all the time.
Wires 3 and 4 appear to be the coil wires, ie when energised the starter relay should click in.
Are you sure you have tried joining the 2 wires that go to the clutch switch ?
colin. hope this may help.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
back in 03 when i collected my tornado, i rode into a petrol station stopped filled up went back to bike and had same scenario as you ,now weather this is relevent to a tnt /cr/trk etc i dont no . but at the rear of a tornado under the rear seat is a bank of tiny fuses . one of them had blown that was the cause of none start , hope this helps . otherwise looks like the wallet is out for some lucky auto ectrician

regards
richardm

·
1,841 Posts
but did you short that clutch switch ?!;)
You can also check the start relay coil by putting a meter on resistance across 3 and 4,if approx 4.4 ohms it is ok. If open or short circuit, ie infinity ohms or zero ohms then it is kaput.

·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if you mean short that clutch switch by unpluging it and taping them together,
yes i did and nothing happend.
as for a volt meter i don't have and need to get one so i have'nt got that
far in testing the wires yet.
i might call my Auto electrician to come and have alook
it's just :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: the f**K out of me:D

·
1,841 Posts
Sorry, if you dont have a meter my suggestions are not much help,if you get a meter, or call someone to look at the fault, there is a flow diagram on page 328 of the workshop manual so it should only be a systematic check to locate the fault.It may be the start button itself or the start relay etc..
If I lived round the corner from you I would come and help as I want to know what it is myself !
colin....

·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know 5 TNT's that have the white connector problem (see my post last week) its a connector under the seat with white link wires hanging out of it this connector disables the ignition and fuel pump but everything else works wiggle the wires spray with WD40 and try starting again (turn kill switch off then back on first)
Good luck

Terry
OK VTX you were right had the auto electrician around this morning,
after following all the wires and up and down the whole bike it ended up being
the white connector with the white wire loops hanging out of it under the fuse box.
it was that bad that the pins inside the plug were coroded away.
he cut the wires that had the loop on them and just looped those wires together.now all fine and my baby starts:D :D
thanks to all for your help:clap: :clap:
all with tnt's should check that white plug out.it happened couse of water when washing the bike,

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
OK VTX you were right had the auto electrician around this morning,
after following all the wires and up and down the whole bike it ended up being
the white connector with the white wire loops hanging out of it under the fuse box.
it was that bad that the pins inside the plug were coroded away.
he cut the wires that had the loop on them and just looped those wires together.now all fine and my baby starts:D :D
thanks to all for your help:clap: :clap:
all with tnt's should check that white plug out.it happened couse of water when washing the bike,
No problem buddy,
its a stupid design leaving an electrical connector swimming around in water until it rots away

Terry

1 - 20 of 25 Posts