Benelli Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so this is not BENELLI specific - but A please for help in diagnosing an engine problem on my recentl aquired TRIFIELD

Went to the TRIFIELD this morning intending to take her on her 1st run into work. After 5 miles of warming up I decided to open her up a bit (not too much) but the engine flet verry viby and not realy pulling clean. After about 20miles I lost power so not knowing the bike I caried on fo a couple of miles trying fuel and wobbling electrics to no avail. So I pulled over an d took my helmet off to listen to the engine.

Ts making a metalic tap-tap-tap on the LHS (when sat on bike) which seems to be coming from the bottom 1/2 of the engine.

Ive uploaded a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQaZjR5GemE to Youtube taken after I'd been recovered home!

Can any of you "older bike nuts" point me in the right direction on this!

Want to get it up and running whilst theres some summer to enjoy it with.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Is it def coming from bottom end?, hard to tell listening from video, but thats the same sound the small end bearings make when theyre shot, if it is the bottom I'm buggered if I know

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like its coming from the bottom but the noise it too rattly for big ends in my limited experience.
Maybe I should start with the cyclinders off and see what I find?

·
Fyule
697 Posts
Nigel, Have you checked the valve clearances? as you say it sounds a bit rattly for bottom end, take it from me the bottom end failure noise is more aking to the knocking on a lump of wood type noise. Sounds Tappety to me, i would quickly check the valve clearances, before opening her up further, always best to try the simple things to rule them out. Oh, and check the bloody obvious too- check the oil - does it leak or burn any?
Good luck with trying to sort her out, these mistresses take a lot of tlc (and cash), oh just like wimmin then!
Fraser

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I'd agree with Fraser.
Another to consider, would be the primary drive?
I've checked on the net and found its a chain primary (looks duplex) can rattle (or worse) if not adjusted.

View attachment 1572

·
Fyule
697 Posts
Nigel,
Bob's right about the primary drive, I spoke to a mechanic mate last night who used to work on these things, suggests you have a looksy into the inspection hole into the primary drive casing, usually you can hook the chain with you finger and tell if it is loose.

Other things to check would be the alternator shaft nut which apparantly can work loose and any of the other big nuts in that area!

Sticking a screwdriver onto the casings of the engine and resting your ear on the pastic end of it will possibly help you to locate the noise, certainly will rule out if it is from the head or bottom end.

Kepp us all posted on how it is going on.

Fraser

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Frazer (sorry about the Furgus must have had some vision of 1/2 Frazer 1/2 Angus) ... Ive got a van on hire and will take the Trifield doown to Steve at Northants Cl***ic Bikes in Retford whereit has frequented most of its life for a diagnostics on Saturday.

Dependant on the scale and cost of repair I will either leave it with him or bring it back and start my winter project early.

I've spotted a 3TA engine reworked to 500ccc in bits so might get this as a back-up engine????

·
Fyule
697 Posts
Thats a scary thought, half me, half Angus:rolling: :rolling:

good luck with the diagnostics on the Trifield

cheers, Fraser

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Thats not scary thats pure genius ! :D A true Frankenstein Monster with helpfulness and the ability to produce home brew now thats good in my books :clap: (sad to say though both of us going bald :( )

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Other things to check would be the alternator shaft nut which apparantly can work loose and any of the other big nuts in that area!
Scary ...thinking Nigel has got himself a bike with Benelli-like tendencies, akin to our Z25 shearing problem Ahhh! :rolling: :rolling:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Hi Nigel. That's a pretty little bike you've got there. The frame looks like a 250 Crusader, a sporty little single cylinder 4 stroke with a decent handling frame, which lent itself to having the compact unit construction 350 or 500 Triumph engine grafted in.
As has already been said, it sounds like either knackered small end(s), or tappets. Worn small ends are unlikely to cause a sudden loss of power, whereas, if for some reason your valve clearances suddenly opened right up, it affects the valve timing and valve lift, which will. Likewise, a slack primary chain will just rattle, but that sounded like a definite tapping noise. So I would also tend to agree with Frazer, so it will be interesting to hear what your guy finds.
Trouble with old Brit bikes is that there is always something going wrong, and it will cost you a fortune to run if you have to pay someone to fix it every time. Part of the 'pleasure' :rolleyes: of owning them is the spannering - er - allegedly...:D
Good luck with it!

Cheers

Ian

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
Trouble with old Brit bikes is that there is always something going wrong, and it will cost you a fortune to run if you have to pay someone to fix it every time. Part of the 'pleasure' :rolleyes: of owning them is the spannering - er - allegedly...:D
Good luck with it!

Cheers

Ian
:rolling: I love it Ian :bow: , don't forget were talking of Benelli owners here too ! :rolleyes:

:rolling:

:D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dropped TRIFIED off to Steve at Northants Cl***ic Bikes this morning and should know the damage by Tuesday. 1st impressions are thats its not too serious and the noised are coming fom the duplex chain or clutch. But no explanation of why the bike should be running down on power.

Whilst its in the shop Steve will give it a thorough check over and also try and find me a set of tyres that will fit 17" rims and have a "round" profile so I can get it leaned over. Got Avon Supreme's 3.50-17 on and the rear is square making for interesting handling changes.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's a big end failure

Steve at Northants Classics called me today with the bad news that one of the big ends has gone hence the noise, vibration and power drop due to lowered compression on one cylinder with the con rod dropped.
Professional re build with warranty at almost £1000 means i'm off tho hire a van and pick it up to do it myself!
Looks like my winter project has started early. Might as well do all the other jobs on the wish list whilst it's in bits. Powder coat frame and swing arm, New bushes, re wire, re upholster seat etc.......

·
Fyule
697 Posts
really sorry to hear the bad news nigel. but as you say you get to start working on the bike sooner rather than later. It's a good idea to get to know your classic well before riding it a lot, that way you know whats been done on it (also what hasn't!) and you know what to do if it ever lets you down miles from home.

Good luck with working on it, if you want a hand and I can make it south (wife and daughter and dog and cats and horse and fish permitting!!!), I would love to give you a hand.

cheers, Fraser

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Frazer - thanks for the offer which is much appreciated.
I've got a mate at work to re-build the ngine for me (ex TT race mechanic) and I'll handle the rest of the bike purchasing new for old where knackered off eBay.

My only real regrett is its cost me 2 van hires (couldnt ask St Angus of Benelli to ferry it about the country again) 600 miles and 3 hours labour to get the fault diagnosed.... Should have just dived in myself.

Plan to get the frame bead blasted and powder coated along with the swing arm and also get the cyliner barrels painted whilst it in bits.
Grand plan is to et it back on the road for some time in September and run it in possibly with a trip up to meet a guzzie 1198!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts