Benelli Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought a optimate 4 .and a friend tells me these are actualy not good ?
any truth or shoild i use it ?

·
5,931 Posts
Not sure about the Optimate, but I reckon you shouldn't leave any battery on trickle charge for extended periods. It just warms them up for no good reason.
I've heard a couple of stories lately, about batteries being toasted this way.

·
Registered
403 Posts
trickle chgr

Dunno, I just pull the seat and disconnet the +ve terminal when it's in hibernation, seems to be alright.
But as errol said, bit weary of a full time trickle. last bat I bought was 256 dollar, can get one to start a bulldozer for that price. ( and 10 x size)

·
Registered
864 Posts
Have to agree with you guys. In my experience these trickle chargers are not good for the battery. Disconnect it and if need be give it an hr on a regular charger to top it up if need be.

·
Fyule
697 Posts
Hi all, just to add my tuppenceworth, I've used optimate 3 on all my bikes, never cooked a battery using one, but now I've mentioned it... The old guzzi has an odyssey battery and even that is happy with the optimate. Never used the Optimate 4 though, but I can't see it being a retrograde step.
cheers,
Fraser

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
the best Ive had was one from Buffalo.
Couldn't you get one here in the U.K. Mark :rolling:

·
No good with spanners....
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,417 Posts
If you've got an alarm on the bike i think they're a must.My old ZX9 used to get thru a battery every winter when it wasnt in use.Dont think the alarm would function if i just took the battery off over the winter.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hi, i have used an optimate 3 on all my bikes and have never had a problem although i don't leave it on long term ( a full day every few weeks in winter and every thing has been well so far, ron d

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Mines on all the time in the winter. If Benelli gave me a decent battery I wouldnt bother :doh:

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
I have the Optimate 2 and it done my battery no harm on my other bike (but then again it was Japanese so it didn't bugger up that often).
However, should you find yourself all alone at night with nothing to do ... plug the bugger in and stick the crocodile clamps to your nipples and see what happens. If you leave them on overnight you wake up in the morning feeling really refreshed for some reason:rolling:

Al:rolleyes:

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have the Optimate 2 and it done my battery no harm on my other bike (but then again it was Japanese so it didn't bugger up that often).
However, should you find yourself all alone at night with nothing to do ... plug the bugger in and stick the crocodile clamps to your nipples and see what happens. If you leave them on overnight you wake up in the morning feeling really refreshed for some reason:rolling:

Al:rolleyes:
Tryin to rediscover the spark between me and the Mrs blew mine up..........:doh:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts