Benelli Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a smashin ride out yesterday with my bro.
He was on his 955i Daytona, me on "nelli the nutcrusher" (as named by my beloved missus...)

Leyburn, over to Hawes and then onto Devils Bridge at Kirby Londsdale.
Loads of bikes about including a yellow Tornado spied heading in the other direction towards Hawes..anyone on here ?

anyhoo, in Leyburn, whilst enjoying the oral delights of a Mr Whippy 99er, i black R1 cruised past...complete with flouro jacketed plod riding it! Police written large over his back being the give away.
I was not aware that North Yorks plod were using unmarked sportsbikes but there you go. Dont suppose you see too many R1 riders wearing flouro jackets so not too hard to spot, unless of course your mirrors are totally hopeless....

Other than the temp gauge telling lies again the bike behaved very well, though perhaps rather too stiffly set-up for some of the Dales roads. Still loads of fun tho and was good to start putting a few miles on it.

The Benelli certainly turned a few heads and think i almost convinced one eldely gent that he really needed a Tornado to add to his collection of Rudges and New Imperials.....

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
I take it you have ridden your bro's bike so how do you rate it against the nelli?

With the R1 and green jacket i would imagine he was out showing the bikers what they got. Next time wont be so noticable

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My last bike was on 02 Daytona, my bros is a 2005 ltd edition (basically a few carbon goodies)

In comparison with the Benelli i suppose the best way of desribing it is that the Triumph is "just" a fast road bike compared to the much more radical Nelli.

Outright performance is not much different, though in truth suspect the trumpet has a little more power and torque throughout the range.
Handling wise there is no comparison, with the totally planted feel of the nelli making the trumpet feel very heavy and slow steering.

Brakes are good on both bikes.
Fuel consumption....well best not go there....! at least when the nelli is used as god intended.

Build quality wise the trumpet always felt a little agricultural, even compared to the japs never mind the nelli.
To me one of the joys of the nelli is the multitude of beautiful engineering details which abound on the bike. the trumpet does not come close on that one.

The both sound great.
My bro uses the triumph two up with his teenage son a good and suspect that it is rather more suited to this role than would be the nelli, especially when the seat height is taken into account.

Ian

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Nice one Ian. We were heading down to Devil's Bridge but a nasty accident blocking the A19 made us point West.
Ended up at Hartside Café, again.. :rolling: I should buy shares in that place, as always seem to end up there.. :doh:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts