Benelli Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many people I take my bike off the road for the winter - This year between November and the first week of March.

This is my first winter of Benelli ownership and my RS is stored in my garage:
without power I cannot use an' optimate'.(It is covered and on a paddock stand).

Should it be started regularly, by using a portable starter pack?
Or is it fine to leave it until it is back on the road? :confused:

Even after a couple of weeks the battery is getting low....

I've owned all kinds of bikes and they all seem to have different requirements.

Would the voice(s) of experience!:bow:

Regards
Stephen

·
Registered
256 Posts
regular starting

Personally like to start mine every so often and give it a little run on the paddock stand - keeps oilways clear and seals/chain lubricated as much as can be without riding.

Mind you my battery seems fine - had also not used much since Oct, and put the datatool 4 alarm into standby, but took it out end of Nov and forgot to put alarm in standby - started fine yesterday with no hint of any battery problem so really is an enigma, as my clocks reset as much as the next mans and it is not the battery being low. Funny enough it seems better starting with the lights on (which i did by accident as they are always on with my vfr!)

Cheers

Sean

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Regular Starting

Sean,
Thanks for the advice - I have an 'Acumen' alarm and have put that on standby.
Will start her periodically and do as you suggest.

I have never had my clocks reset?

My lap timer refused to reset, earlier in the year: the dealer sorted it using the 'black arts'.

Thanks again.

Stephen

·
Registered
209 Posts
Wimp ! :D :D :D
Ride it every day - thats why they invented these

:ele: :ele: :ele: :ele: :ele:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Someone elses bike

Love to ride someone else's Nelli through winter......already taking it's toll on my VFR:doh: And it's not the snow for you aussie types, it's the salt over here all over the roads at the first sight of cold...in fact they have normally run by the time they really need it:bawl:

·
Registered
108 Posts
OK here is my take on the whole start or not to start during the coarse of a winter.
The way I look at is like this, after let's say two weeks of storage you want to start the bike well at that point all the lubrication that is going to drain out of the motor will have already done so. No more appreciable amount of oil is going to drain into the crankcase. So in essence the engine has the least amount of oil protection on it and you are going to repeatedly start it in this condition.
Take the battery inside and hook it up to a battery tender.
Put in some fuel stabilizer and let it run through the throttle bodies for at least 5 min.
Leave it til you can take it out and ride it regularly in the spring.

But that's just me.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Says the man that lives in that freezing cold place - Melbourne, Australia!
he he he - I used to live in the South Island of NZ - does that count ? Oh dam, now they know I'm a kiwi :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I bang it up on paddock stands and only ride it if its dry and salt free roads over the winter

Once every 4-8 weeks I will fire it up on the stands if it hasnt been run and leave it running for 10 - 15mins (ish)

I have power in my garage and if its nearer 8 weeks since it ran I will hook up the optimate a day before hand

Other than that - I do bugger all

(No idea if this is right or wrong - but its what I have always done with all my bikes)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Over-Wintering

Guys,

Thanks for the advice.

I've not had any issues over the winter with other bikes - I'm just a bit paranoid when it comes to the Benelli and I want, what has so far been a totally reliable machine, to emerge from hibernation as good as when it was put to bed.

Drekka: Ride your 'Nelli' across the Great Western Desert and you'll get an idea of what road salt can do to a bike!

I'd LOVE a go on that 'Busa' :p

S

1 - 10 of 10 Posts