Benelli Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
On Everybody's Buddy List
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I really need to use an authentic Benelli Tornado Tre oil filter or is there a substitute that I can purchase from the auto store.

Illene B.:confused:

·
1,841 Posts
oil filter

Hello Illene, There was some info about oil filters on this site, i have in my little note book that a filter for an early mazda 323 fits, also a hastings LF113 and a K&N HP 1008. I know the benelli part is a rip off, but it is probably better to drink two or three cans of Fosters less than normal and fit the benelli filter. If still under warrenty and the engine failed they would blame the filter if it was not the benelli part.:lager:

·
341 Posts
Hiflofiltro

HF553 is the code no for the part made by HIFLOFILTRO

changed it myself, exact fit

paid around EUR 7 for it and is a Benelli replacement part, wouldn't advise to fit car's filters on the motorcycle

·
5,967 Posts
Oil Filter

Illene, I've had the Benelli filter tested against the Ryco Z436, and the Ryco comes out better. I've used it from the start, when the original ones were hard to get hold of.

The results of the test can be found HERE

For a stack more info on the Tornado, have a look HERE. I've been collecting this for the past 18 months or so. Some of it taken from this forum.

·
1,841 Posts
oil filter

If the benelli filter is not available then the replacements above may be ok, but if you think about for instance the results of the test engenia had done ,it shows less flow resistance on the ryco filter, this may be due to the media allowing larger particles through. By my experience and also what I have read on this forum the tre engine contaminates the oil faster than most engines, for this reason I would stick to the benelli filter.
Decisions, decisions !;)

·
5,967 Posts
the tre engine contaminates the oil faster than most engines
I've gotta disagree with you there Colin. I've been testing my oil everytime I change it, and barring the first change, she's been pristine. The trend shows that it would still be pristine at 10,000km. At 15,000 it would be starting to show signs of use. (The testing includes wear, contamination & chemistry.)

On the lower flow resistance of the Ryco filter? It could also mean that there is more filter area. The filter rating is 30 microns - 0.0012". I can't think of any bearing tolerances tighter than this, but I'm prepared to be enlightened!

·
1,841 Posts
oil filters

Hi Engenia, My bikes oil was visually disscoloured more than any other bike i have had, and I think it was johnny o that said about giving extra oil changes, which i did. What i am trying to say is 1) the warrenty may be void if using non benelli parts. 2) there are other factors that could make a different make of filter less suitable (or on the other hand more suitable )
The trouble is unless long term tests and wear rates are carried out, no one will ever know which filter is best !
If you have a look on this site http://www.aus-cartalk.com/auspoc/techstuff.htm ,it is quite interesting, some filters use paper media not synthetic and it can deform etc.. some filters do filter lower than 30 microns, before we talk about molecular structure ! I just believe Illene would be better off using the benelli filter.;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts