Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man

im currently fuming, this fucking RS has left me stranded twice in 4 days. first the battery , now the thing bloody conks out

Headed out at 6am with my mates this morning did a nice lap of the TT, came round the second time all seemingly fine, get to just before grahams memorial doing around 100 in 5th and the fucking thing starts feeling wrong, the warning light comes on and the dash oil starts flashing, so i pull in the clutch coast the side as the engine died. no .il spilage anywhere, no leaks etc

Had to wait 1 fucking hour in the cold before i could be collected, meanwhile my mates are freaking out as id forgotten my phone, they cant get hold of me and they heard of a 3 bike accident on the mountain.

Get it home, check it over, oil is full , turn it on start it and no warning lights, no oil warning on dash, but sounds really crap and rough, stpped it immediately , sounds like a broken ducati

Waiting for bennets to open to call them and find out what they intend to do about it.

Im really starting to regret getting this bike even tho it is gorgeous, i know they can be temperamental but two breakdowns in less that a week is ridiculous

totally sick of it , no doubt this is gonna wreck my plans for the whole of TT :doh:

·
Registered
403 Posts
yes, we know

I understand your pain, had it myself at 1800 kms ( timing wheel came off), how I have solved the issue, is inform the AA, ( auto assoiciation) to have a unit on standby on the saturdays that I ride. It is likely a reason i dont push it hard either, who wants the engine to kaput while doing and endo.

I feel your pain, honistly

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems Angelus:(
How long have you owned the bike? Do you know its history? Is there any warranty still left on it?

Al:(

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got it from bennetts on wed, wed even the battery went and it left me stranged 25 minutes pushing it to make the ferry

today it breaks down again .. sooooooooooooooooooooo pissed off

its broken down more in 5 days than any of all of my jap bikes together ever in 15 years:doh:

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
I got it from bennetts on wed, wed even the battery went and it left me stranged 25 minutes pushing it to make the ferry

today it breaks down again .. sooooooooooooooooooooo pissed off

its broken down more in 5 days than any of all of my jap bikes together ever in 15 years:doh:
Jeez that's not good matey. My last Benelli constantly broke down on me but I still went out and bought another after I wrote it off. A tiny part of me still thinks it was a bad idea. I had a GSXR6 which never missed a beat. Not once. Zilcho. It sat in the garage for two years (maybe more) without turning a wheel, replaced the battery and she fired up. You should still have at least some warranty on the bike if you've only just purchased it mate (even if it's only a 30 day jobbie) but you seriously need to ask yourself whether or not it's worth the risk of owning it if problems continue. Bennetts seem to have a good reputation and I'm sure they'll sort it for you buddy.
Ask if they know what modifications have been done to the bike and see if you can find out when they were done too bud.

Keep us posted on here on the progress and hang on in there.

Al;)

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
sure Bennetts will have you sorted there Angelus and in no way am i going to say you should of bought mine after all seeing as its reliable , gorgeous etc etc - stop angus help now would be nicer !;)

Read my Pm and if you need any help ring me on 07500877024 later today. i have a few ideas for you in my pm regarding getting it seen to as quickly as possible .

Good Luck with it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
im currently fuming, this fucking RS has left me stranded twice in 4 days.
I understand your pain, had it myself at 1800 kms ( timing wheel came off)
Jeez that's not good matey. My last Benelli constantly broke down on me but I still went out and bought another after I wrote it off.

Hmmmm these stories are not helping me convince myself not to sell my RS...

I bought it last august but only done about 1000 miles on it cos of knee probs and the girlfriend having a baby.
Don't get me wrong it's agorgeous bike and goes so well but I don't get to ride that often and want something that's not going to let me down :(

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mate, gutted for you and I can sense the frustration in your post.

I got a new one a couple of months ago and have only done a couple of hundred miles and your tale of woe is making me want to clock some up just to make sure it is OK. And it really shouldnt be like that!

Hope you get it sorted fella, either way!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah not even gone through my second tank of fuel yet :((

it sounds really rough my dads exact words when we got it back to the house and started it to see if it would run "turn it off now, theres something terminal with that" and "sounds like a bag of wet spanners"

The engine is seriously noisy and rough

Does the coil stick issue make it sound so mechanically rough with only firing on two cylinders??? At the moment i dont wanna start it and leave it running for a couple of minutes to do the wd40 test on the exhaust headers due to how it sounds.

:doh: Well its totally hated at present.. Ive had 100.00 bikes more reliable than this piece of junk. Totally sour taste in my mouth right now. Basically gonna ruin my whole week, im over to ride a bike with my mates .

My mates got well stressed out as I forgot my phone and when i didnt show up 5 minutes later and the police closed the roads due to a 3 bike accident, and they couldnt get hold of me, they feared the worst. :doh:

Contacted bennetts but still waiting to hear back from them , so guess thatll be tomorrow now :mad:

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Angelus,

It doesn't sound like a coil stick going by what you've wrote. I'm hoping it's not the clutch basket. The old WD40 trick would be one way of telling if a coil has gone tits up but like you've already stated, you don't want to make it worse by leaving it running.
You need to decide what you want to do with the bike matey. It's a love hate relationship with these bikes and you either stick with them and decide to ride it out or call it a day and see about getting yourself another bike.
There are some guys on here though who seem to be blessed with having 'good uns' straight from the crate and others (like myself in the past) had complete and utter nightmares with them. I've stuck with Benelli because I love the bike but am I completely confident in the reliability of the bike? Nope.
The strange thing is, if someone asked me if they should buy one I'd be very tempted to put them off of the idea and get them to stick to something more reliable because I would hate for them to have the hassle that I had with my last one. On the other hand, you know you're on something special when you're on one. It's just a shame that that special feeling can't be complimented by japanese reliability otherwise Benelli wouldn't be able to make their bikes quick enough to get them out of the factory to eager customers.
Sit back and chill tonight matey and give Bennetts a call first thing tomorrow. I know you're pissed off bud but just try and not let it get to you until you find out what the state of play is with your bike tomorrow.
keep us posted matey,

Al;)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Angelus,
sorry to hear about your troubles, If anyone can sort it out for you, bennetts are the best.
If you do decide to stick with it and the bike overcomes what is hopefully its only problem, Im sure you will be rewarded by the sheer enjoyment of the Tornado, riding, owning and exculsivity !!

The strange thing is, if someone asked me if they should buy one I'd be very tempted to put them off of the idea and get them to stick to something more reliable because I would hate for them to have the hassle that I had with my last one. On the other hand, you know you're on something special when you're on one. It's just a shame that that special feeling can't be complimented by japanese reliability otherwise Benelli wouldn't be able to make their bikes quick enough to get them out of the factory to eager customers.
Dead right this bit, I suppose if they were that reliable and good they'd eventually beat the japs out of the market, then would we want one , food for thought !

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
On my first Tornado I had a coil stick go and it just seemed to run rough no other fault signs of any sorts, that was a centre coil stick, however, when I had a coil stick go on my present bike (after travelling through torrent rain ! :bawl: ) the engine management light came on and it run like a cross between a Ducati & a Bag of Shite (Some would argue they are the same :rolleyes: ) and that was a LH coil stick ! So finers crossed thats what your problem is. I personally would at least try the down pipe test ! :confused:

Good luck either way as I know it can be frustrating especially when you're out on a trip like you are and believe me, I've had my fair share of tornado problems, but I adore them so stick with it !

:clap:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Fyule
697 Posts
HI Angelus

Firstly, I'm really sorry to hear about your probs there, As others have said, chill out tonight and see what Bennets say in the morning. I was only just admiring that bike in Bennets the other week, utterly gorgeous! I appreciate why your bought it.

Secondly, I was as pissed off as you were when my RS had a 'wee issue' but people on this forum managed to keep my spirits up and encourgae me to get it sorted. You will be able to get it sorted under warranty, whereas I was not quite so lucky and it is just the enthusiasm and passion that everyone here has that made sorting mine a possibility. In fact just back from a very short blast on it and I realise again why I LOVE THIS BIKE, much more than any others I've owned (except maybe my beloved Guzzi Cafe Racer, which was a labour of love). So chin up and enjoy being on the Island, I wish I was able to go over for the races.

Incidentally, can you describe the noise that the bike was making, from what you've said and others have mentioned could well just be the coil stick.

ANyway good luck with the call in the morning.
Cheers, Fraser

·
Still trying!
490 Posts
Hi Angelus,

Sorry to hear of your woes and hope Bennets have you on the road again soon. My Nelli never missed a beat until I wrote it off!:doh: Loved it .. but like the guys are saying it is a love/hate thing for lots of folk.

Hope the weather is improving on the Island .. could hear the rain lashing of my daughters' tent when I spoke to her yesterday .. didn't get any sense from her at all today .. something to do with a gigantic hangover I suspect! Must have been a good party in the paddock last night.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Yep, can understand why you're seriously hacked off but just to put forward a balanced view, I've had 3 Tornados and never had a serious problem with any of them and any minor issues have always been fixed under warranty no problem.

Hope the problem is quickly put right, whatever it is, and you start to regain some confidence in the bike again real soon.

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
As per my Pm i will help in whatever way needed , if the bike has to come back to Bennetts i'm more than happy to help collection through any means -
thankfully your on the best site ever and we can all help you .:)

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
I've had 3 Tornados and never had a serious problem with any of them and any minor issues have always been fixed under warranty no problem
See what I mean about the jammy buggers getting the 'good uns' straight out of the crate;)

Al:D

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well it sounds very mechanically noisy like metal slapping about on metal, very much like piston slap i had on a old ducati but much worse, hence why i dont wanna run it at all.

Anyhow gonna speak to bennets in the morning and see if we can sort something out. in the meantime im stuck driving round a 1litre yaris which is about as much fun as no fun.. but at least we managed to go see the purple helmets and steve colley (who is excellent) tonite.

thanks for all the chinups guys

·
5,933 Posts
..the warning light comes on and the dash oil starts flashing, so i pull in the clutch coast the side as the engine died. no .il spilage anywhere, no leaks etc.

Get it home, check it over, oil is full , turn it on start it and no warning lights, no oil warning on dash, but sounds really crap and rough, stopped it immediately , sounds like a broken ducati
If the dash flashes oil, you've lost all oil pressure (it'll be under 5psi), or the wiring to the sensor is disconnected. If either happens, the ECU will shut of the engine - for good reason. You can always start it with low/no oil pressure, but the ECU should stop it again if the problem persists.

When you started it, the pressure was probably still low, but above the sensor threshold. If you put an oil pressure gauge on it, you'll confirm either way. But with low oil pressure, the engine will be tearing itself apart.

Without a gauge, you can check the oil flow by removing the oil feed to the head, then manually cranking the engine (direct connection to the starter). You should see a healthy oil stream.

(You could install a temporary oil pressure gauge by modifying that top banjo bolt)

Good luck with it. If you persist, you'll learn a lot about your bike, and get the rewards so justly due. If you give up - sell it to me;)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts