Benelli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you guys know of a sort of plug on the engine which is there to "pop out" in case of too much pressure on the cooling circuit, which can corrode and pop out spontaneously when using water instead of coolant? Just wondering how fast I should change them. My bike has been using water instead of coolant since july last year (track use only, so no coolant allowed). I ve never heard of anything like this on a bike.

Please enlighten me :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Ir-fuel..

I only had 26 mile on the clock of my Tornado when I stopped at Traffic Lights and erupted in steam. It had dumped all its radiator contents at the time unexplainably.

Liuckily it was 2 minutes from the dealer so took it there. When the fairings came off it was noticed that one of the core plugs had a hole in. On removal you could see it was badly corroded.. Not impressed with only 26 mile on..

Anyway refitted and so far no further problems..

·
Super Moderator
7,770 Posts
Hi Joris,

This is a very common problem and there was a post about it recently:- http://www.benelliforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1373

Some of the plugs that have been fitted were made of steel and they corrode quickly. Have a look at yours if they are silver in colour I would change them now to be on the safe side as you get no warning before they 'let go'. If they are a light gold (brass) colour you should be OK.

Due to the position of the one on the rear of the engine, you may need to use a small inspection mirror to get a better look at it

The location of the 'Core Plugs' can be seen in the attached pic.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have received 2 new ones they ordered from Benelli from the dealer just in case mine start corroding, so I can replace them when they get punctured, but they are also silver (same color as the engine basically). Where can i get those non-corroding ones?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool

Gonna order me some ASAP. Leaving for Almeria next week so i'll just take em along just in case, and will have them replaced anyway after that trackday.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The "problem" prolly is that i have to drain the coolant (or in my case, water) before doing this, and i hate filling up the bike with coolant/water, its cumbersome :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Doh :(

Pulled up outside a mates house today for a spin....he just got himself a Falco and is a happy bunny.
I've just fitted Pirelli Super Corsa 3's so was looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about.

He looks down and asks me why my bike is spitting coolant at him?

DOH!

I left the bike there so I could come back home and check up on the mine of experience here :)

A few questions if I may....
The bike is in warranty, but it's doubtful the bike shop will arrange collection as its on the other side of the country. Should he ? Afaik its a parts and labour warranty...I imagine its up to the dealer to cover collection at his discretion ?
It's the Left hand rear core plug.... the tricky one by what i've read. It's leaking a steady dribble....what are people's thoughts on applying sealant to it and riding it? I imagine me changing it would void the warranty...
If I was advised by the dealer that changing it wouldnt void the warranty, is removing it as easy as people say? My fear would be that drilling it, or tapping in a screw would damage it further if its corroded, and make it impossible to remove.

All help appreciated :)

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
See all the thread just before your post on here as it gives all the answers you could want. Its not a hard job to do and its a 16mm core plug that should be available from all good motor factors or even a ducati dealer if you cant get a Benelli one sent out in the post quick enough . (i'd ring Motogb direct and explain your predicament and get their parts guy to send one) . Follow all on the removal and i wouldnt try and apply a sealant as it wont last for long its better to just change it .

·
Registered
297 Posts
See all the thread just before your post on here as it gives all the answers you could want. Its not a hard job to do and its a 16mm core plug that should be available from all good motor factors or even a ducati dealer if you cant get a Benelli one sent out in the post quick enough . (i'd ring Motogb direct and explain your predicament and get their parts guy to send one) . Follow all on the removal and i wouldnt try and apply a sealant as it wont last for long its better to just change it .
Cheers for that...what I meant was sealing it to ride to the dealer :)
I rang the AA since posting that, and they'll probably cover moving it to Dublin, so I might just let the shop take care of it. The whole keeping a valid warranty thing :)

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
Hi Mate, my core plug went after my 1st real trip out, i nearly Sh+t myself because a spanner symbol came up at the same time (coincedience) i got it replaced as well as the other one at Red Dogs (Cheers Lloyd:bow: ) remember to put your finger over the over flow hole inside the filler when you put the coolent or you will fill up the displacement tank at the same time. (its a little pin hole that you can see when you remove the Radiator cap. Good luck mate. :ele:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hi Mate, my core plug went after my 1st real trip out, i nearly Sh+t myself because a spanner symbol came up at the same time (coincedience) i got it replaced as well as the other one at Red Dogs (Cheers Lloyd:bow: ) remember to put your finger over the over flow hole inside the filler when you put the coolent or you will fill up the displacement tank at the same time. (its a little pin hole that you can see when you remove the Radiator cap. Good luck mate. :ele:
Cheers Lee....Its in the back of a van now being taken to the dealer by the AA.
Which is fantastic value btw....I've already had one long tow with them this year(suzuki), a free hire car for two days, and 2 home starts (toyota corolla).
If nothing else I've certainly gotten my money's worth.

Hope to have it back for the wend, but wont hold my breath :(

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
Cheers Lee....Its in the back of a van now being taken to the dealer by the AA.
Which is fantastic value btw....I've already had one long tow with them this year(suzuki), a free hire car for two days, and 2 home starts (toyota corolla).
If nothing else I've certainly gotten my money's worth.

Hope to have it back for the wend, but wont hold my breath :(
Gotta get your Moneys worth mate :clap: :clap: All the best :) :) :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Thanks to benelliforum :)

Folks,
Heard back from the dealer today....
I sent up the bike, with an envelope containing the printouts of all the threads from here on core plugs....he had a look through it, saw the pictures of the corroded ones, and decided to replace them all and save me any bother in the future.

Just wanted to post up a quick thanks to everyone who has gone to the trouble of sharing that info here.... will no doubt save me a breakdown in the future- Cheers! :clap:

·
Registered
297 Posts
:(

Gah.....it's gone again.......

"I dont....."

Went all around the houses hoping someone would have a core plug...32mm was the smallest available. Living near the atlantic it would seem nothing is ever available. "Frost plugs" I discovered is the local term for them. One available in bike shop in Dublin....have mate meeting me halfway on Sunday with it in his pocket. Must get spares.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Info

Just got an interesting reply from an ebay seller of cadmium plated 16mm core plugs...I had asked if they were mild steel:

"Hi James
Thank you for your enquiry.
These are mild steel cadmium plated.

Because of electrolises caused by an engines motion, it deteriorates from the poorest quality metalic component similar to chrome plating.
If you replace core plugs with brass, they do not deteriorate, but the block casting, water pump impellor or shaft will.
No engine manufacturer fits brass because of this.
Fitted correctly, filled with anti corrosive additives the standard core plugs will last 10 - 15 - 20 years.
"

Anyone any thoughts on it? Bs? Sound advice?

·
5,899 Posts
These are mild steel cadmium plated.
Because of electrolises caused by an engines motion, it deteriorates from the poorest quality metalic component similar to chrome plating.
If you replace core plugs with brass, they do not deteriorate, but the block casting, water pump impellor or shaft will.
No engine manufacturer fits brass because of this.
Fitted correctly, filled with anti corrosive additives the standard core plugs will last 10 - 15 - 20 years.
My Chemistry lectures happened an eon ago, but here goes ... (feel free to correct me)

He has a point, but ....

If you consider standard electrode potentials alone, the more negative metal will deteriorate due to galvanic action.
Aluminium -1.66 V
Zinc -0.76 V
Iron -0.44 V
Cadmium -0.4 V
Copper +0.34 V

Brass is a mixture of 63% Copper & 37% Zinc

So, you can see, that if you connect any of these metals with Aluminium, the Ally loses out. Less so with zinc, iron & cadmium, than with copper, by a good margin. But there's a lot of aluminium in the block, so it'll take centuries to corrode due to galvanic action.

There's less steel in contact with the coolant, so the galvanic action with the copper in the brass plug, will be more localised, and therefore more pronounced. But again, there's a lot more steel than copper in contact with the coolant, so the galvanic corrosion of the steel will be minimal.
The zinc, in the brass, will act to protect the steel, as it will be the sacrificial partner. So we have a stalemate.

The reason cadmium works to protect the steel, in a plug, is that it rapidly oxidises on contact with air. It's the cadmium oxide, that protects the steel from corrosion, not the cadmium itself. The problem with cad plating, is that it is expensive. A thick plating will work better & be more costly, a thin plating is more easily damaged, but cheaper.

Once the Cd plating is damaged, the steel is exposed, and corrosion can begin, at a rapid rate. This is galvanic, but occurs due to the different phases of the metal adjacent to each other.

So, good quality Cd plated steel plugs are effectively inert to galvanic action with all metals in the engine, because of the oxide layer. But manufacturers don't necessarily use the highest quality due to cost constraints.

Brass plugs will cause galvanic action, but at very slow rates. There's a much higher potential for steel to corrode due to it's own structure, than the effect of it's electrical connection to brass.

(Feel free to shoot me down :) )

·
Fyule
697 Posts
erroll, I seem to remember this from the past - would this be 'sacrificial protection/sacrificial corrosion' ?

·
5,899 Posts
erroll, I seem to remember this from the past - would this be 'sacrificial protection/sacrificial corrosion' ?
Same equation, different application. The reason you don't moor a steel boat next to an aluminium one. One of them will eventually sink.

·
Registered
297 Posts
gah

Mate arrived today with core plug-it's steel. I'm not fitting it only to have another failure in 9months.

Is anyone able to source me a handful of brass ones as I cant for the life of me find one here?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts