Benelli Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I wanted to polish up the alloy bits on my TRE, such as footpegs, stand, bars, swingarm, etc. Am having trouble stripping the finish off the footpegs (which seems to be the same finish as the bars and stand). I've tried several things to get it off but nothing has worked (Nitromors paint stripper, ChromeFX anodize stripper, ChromeFX paint stripper, Mr Muscle oven cleaner, 2 drain cleaners.) Has anyone had any luck doing this, or have any ideas how to strip off the silver paint coating? It sands off pretty easy, but the fiddley bits would be soooo much easier to polish up if I could strip this paint off!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The finish on the Ali is usually chromadized; this is a hard wearing anodised finish. The only real way of removing it is with 1000 grit wet and dry, and then good old hard work, chemical dipping to remove is possible but often does damage to the item. Once polished you should get it lacquered or be prepared to have to polish on a regular basis I have polished wheels on other bikes and have put several applications of autoglym resin polish to protect them but they still need maintenance.
Good luck.
vtxbrit

1 - 2 of 2 Posts