Benelli Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about getting some pod filters from Ebay. What do you guys think?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-Ai...m14QQhashZitem330280490837QQitemZ330280490837

I would basically just get these filters and put them on the TBs and then just put a smaller filter on the crank pressure valve. I don't know if that'll be a problem or not. The other option would be to hook the air box (with the entire front ripped off) and put these filters where the volocity stacks are rather than using a stock or DNA filter. Sorry, but $130.00 for an Air filter is a bit much in my opinion.

·
Registered
784 Posts

I don't think the hassle is worth it.

The bike will run very lean, too much air.

The hassel of having to remove the tank everytime you need to clean all 3 filters.

Trust us when we say the DNA filter is worth every penny. :doh: Sorry is worth 13,000 pennies.

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
You need the velocity stacks for optimum performance. The airbox was designed around these. Go for the DNA or leave the stock one in. The stock unit does not seal that well.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think the hassle is worth it.

The bike will run very lean, too much air.

The hassel of having to remove the tank everytime you need to clean all 3 filters.

Trust us when we say the DNA filter is worth every penny. :doh: Sorry is worth 13,000 pennies.

Too much air? I don't think that's possible for these bikes, as running lean doesn't seem to be a thing they do very often, if at all. My bike, for some reason, seems to run rich again. I changed the plugs and cleaned the stock filter and it ran great for 1 1/2 tanks. Then it just got worse and worse and it's back down to about 27MPG and runs so rich I have to shut the bike off at every light or I'll choke myself.
As far as "the hassel" of removing the tank every time I need to clean the filters. I don't see how that's any different than what would have to happen if I had a DNA or stock filter. The tank still has to come off, or at least be lifted. The same thing if I decide to use Pod filters. The DNA isn't worth $130.00 in my book. A K&N filter for ANY and every bike is usually around $40.00. There's no filter that's worth more than tripple the cost of a K&N other than those with a monopoly on the market.
As far as the bike "needing" the volocity stacks. I'm pretty sure that's so the air moves to the top of the airbox and flows down into the V-stacks on the TBs, not because of much else. I would guess that a pod filter in the air box would be just as effective as air would flow down and into the pods, but the filters would still keep plenty of dirt and debris out of the TB. I would guess that would be another advantage of having the V-stack in there, is that the dirt that passes the crap filter goes into the airbox and has a hard time making it to the top of the airbox to get into the V-stack.
I think I'm going to just take my chances and get these and let you guys know how they work, since I'm guessing no one else has them on their bikes.
If they don't work well, then I'll just use them on my Honda CM450e...

·
Registered
864 Posts
+1 for the DNA. Agreed, they are not cheap! but will last for the lifetime of your bike if maintained. The stock foam filter is pretty crap.
A worthwhile investment for your bike.

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
T
you're right you can never have to much air. Just to little gas. But in Benelli case it is too much gas.
As far as the bike "needing" the volocity stacks. I'm pretty sure that's so the air moves to the top of the airbox and flows down into the V-stacks on the TBs, not because of much else.
I think I'm going to just take my chances and get these and let you guys know how they work, since I'm guessing no one else has them on their bikes.
If they don't work well, then I'll just use them on my Honda CM450e...
Velocity stacks are designed as a tuned length intake tract. The Yamaha R6 and R1 now have dual velocity stack that changes length with RPM. They have nothing to do with the Airbox. Except that the airbox is designed around (given the space) the stacks to create the best volume of air around the trumpets.
Don't be pennywise pound foolish.
To fix the fueling remap it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Velocity stacks are designed as a tuned length intake tract. The Yamaha R6 and R1 now have dual velocity stack that changes length with RPM. They have nothing to do with the Airbox. Except that the airbox is designed around (given the space) the stacks to create the best volume of air around the trumpets.
Don't be pennywise pound foolish.
To fix the fueling remap it.
Ahh, now I know..
Anyway, like I said, the cost of the pod filters isn't really a big deal, since i can just toss them on my Honda. As far as remapping to fix the fueling issue. I just don't uderstand this. I had it mapped, it seemed fine. I changed the plugs and the bike can't even be ridden in the "economy" mode and now the "TNT" mode is just as bad as it was before the plugs and mapping were done. It's almost as if it's slowly recalibrating itself to run crappy. Is it possible something is loose, like the TPS or something?

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
Something does not sound good here. I forgot how you mapped it. Was it a dealer or Tuneboy. The TPS could be a possibility. Or maybe one of the other sensors thinking the bike is cold, causing the ECU to richen up. Can you get the bike onto a Dyno where you are. They will be able to see whether you have lost HP and see your AF ratio. If you have lost hp it could be bad compression (rings or valves) Maybe electronics.
Have you played with throttle body settings, and TPS? I will look at the manual and see how to check the sensors.

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
looked at one of your other posts and you state you have only changed the Map 2. Have you disabled or removed your O2 sensor. This might be causing problem as well.
I would suggest you try BenelliDaves Map and disable O2 sensor. 07 original Map is extremely rich.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
looked at one of your other posts and you state you have only changed the Map 2. Have you disabled or removed your O2 sensor. This might be causing problem as well.
I would suggest you try BenelliDaves Map and disable O2 sensor. 07 original Map is extremely rich.
I didn't know I had an O2 sensor. I removed the cat's guts, that's about all.
The dealer did the map on the bike using the Axone and the CO2 tester. I haven't messed with the TPS at all. Perhaps you're right and it's a sensor of some sort. I'll keep looking. The bike is under warranty for another year, so I might just bring it back in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts