Benelli Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all was out today on trek did 200 miles or so but i had the bike die on me 4 times at junctions when i tried to restart the bike would barely turn over turn the key off and on again and it would be just enough to kick her in as she was warm when i got back i plugged the trickle charger in and it showed the battery to be virtually full 15 mins later it was i do have it on a trickle all the time any suggestions on the fault greatly recieved thanx again :confused: :confused:

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
This is the hot start problem we have on the TNT's. Dealer says starter motor. others say meshing of Alternator shaft/gears.
Any way both need to be replaced on certain models of TNT's.
If my CR cuts out when hot, just when fans come on it will do the same thing as described. My dealer has a new starter for me.
It is not the batery.
If you let it stand for a couple of minutes it will start fine.
I have asked my dealer to look into the Aussie fixit list.
Paul

·
5,934 Posts
This is the hot start problem we have on the TNT's. Dealer says starter motor. others say meshing of Alternator shaft/gears.
Any way both need to be replaced on certain models of TNT's.
If it's the alternator drive shaft/Z25 gear, and the shaft eventually breaks due to constant flexing, you'll be in a world of pain.
Don't wait. Get it replaced - now.

·
northern member
2004 Tornado
623 Posts
Ferret had te same on my treK baffled me too but it ended up being a faulty battery, changed under warrenty amd no probs since.

Try this easy option first it may help

·
Registered
71 Posts
If it's the alternator drive shaft/Z25 gear, and the shaft eventually breaks due to constant flexing, you'll be in a world of pain.
Don't wait. Get it replaced - now.
Ferret, if you have the old type of alternator drive shaft and Z25 gear that fail get them replaced whether they are the cause of your starting problem or not. The consequences of it breaking aren't worth thinking about:blowup:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes thats true how do you tell if its old or new type if we can`t tell then how `s the dealer going to lol im praying this ain`t the start of troubles .i have eliminated the battery as the fault thats all ok.

·
Registered
71 Posts
yes thats true how do you tell if its old or new type if we can`t tell then how `s the dealer going to lol im praying this ain`t the start of troubles .i have eliminated the battery as the fault thats all ok.
The revised shaft and gear are distinguished from the old type by an arrow etched on the shaft and gear (see pic courtesy of Engenia). The clutch cover needs to be removed for a visual check, see page 61 of the maintenance manual for a pic showing the shaft and gear, shaft and gear detailed at 1 o'clock position behind clutch.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanx again lad`s the trek`s going in next week to be stripped to have a look
benelli told us they suspect the starter motor not the alternator shaft /gear so i will pass your info to the mechanic so he can check the said parts if there the old one`s then they need replacing at the same time benelli told my dealer 1 week for the part`s it better be and i`m having the neutral light switch changed at the same time due to it intermittently being on all the time then flashing then not working at all .any extra info pic`s etc all appreciated

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Lads Just To Let You Know Bike All Fixed In 1 Week New Neutral Switch And A New Starter Apparently Mine Did Not Have The Old Alternator Gear Fitted So No Need To Change It, Well Done Benelli Well Pleased With That Turnaround For Parts And Many Thanks To My Dealer For There Always Outstanding Service .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts