Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Wish my 2502c will give me some love,but amongst the clutch problem,i have started to install a powerdynamo kit to the bike,
but,there seems to be a problem with the wiring instructions,this being the bike is wired up to be positive earth and not negative earth
the instructions state conect the red wire from the rectifier to the pos side and the brown wire to earth or to the battery negative
but you can see there is a problem in that the rectifier will be wired both wires to earth?
they also state that the brown wire from the main unit must earth to the coil pack frame/mounting,again shorting it out
has anyone here fitted a powerdynamo kit to their 2502c on this forum,
i did wire up briefly as per instructions,not knowing that it was pos earth,and am concerned its damaged the kit somehow
i have contacted tola tools who supplied the kit ,and they said we only sell the kit ,and not make it
any help will be good here and hopefully help others out who want to fit a kit to their bike

·
Super Moderator
7,816 Posts
I will be fitting a Power Dynamo system to my 250 2c so I am also interested in the reply. Seems the PowerDynamo instructions are sadly lacking on the wiring front. :doh:

·
Registered
781 Posts
Hi
Wish my 2502c will give me some love,but amongst the clutch problem,i have started to install a powerdynamo kit to the bike,
but,there seems to be a problem with the wiring instructions,this being the bike is wired up to be positive earth and not negative earth
the instructions state conect the red wire from the rectifier to the pos side and the brown wire to earth or to the battery negative
but you can see there is a problem in that the rectifier will be wired both wires to earth?
they also state that the brown wire from the main unit must earth to the coil pack frame/mounting,again shorting it out
has anyone here fitted a powerdynamo kit to their 2502c on this forum,
i did wire up briefly as per instructions,not knowing that it was pos earth,and am concerned its damaged the kit somehow
i have contacted tola tools who supplied the kit ,and they said we only sell the kit ,and not make it
any help will be good here and hopefully help others out who want to fit a kit to their bike
We only sell the kit !!!! I'm looking into fitting some make of electronic upgrade,I won't be beating a path to power dynamos door !!

·
Super Moderator
7,816 Posts
We only sell the kit !!!! I'm looking into fitting some make of electronic upgrade,I won't be beating a path to power dynamos door !!
Think this was the response of the seller of the kit, which was not Power Dynamo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a shame as the ignition side of the kit installs easy,its the charging side that causes the problem,the 2 parts or sides of it are quite seperate,i am pleased with the ignition part,but if the bike was normal and negative earth it would be an easy install.
I am at the point of wanting to start bike up,which it can be,but i will have no lights or other items to ride on road
i have sent vape/powerdynamo an email but no reply yet,
i have tried to wire up the bike to be negative earth,but some wires get hot so there is obviously hidden things in the loom that prevent this happening
the next step will be get an auto electrician involved,but that negates the easy install that the kit states
wish i had never started it
any one got access to a good wiring diagram for this bike

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi
Ive tried emailing the factory twice about this problem,and guess what,no reply at all,it looks like i will have to get an auto sparks on the bike,i have tried lots of things to sort this out,
i thought just doing the electrics as negative earth would sort this out,but youve guessed it ,there seems to be something hidden in the loom that does not like being neg earth,causing the wiring to get hot at the battery
will keep you updated if i sucseed but dont look good at the mo
think i will just ride my paso 906 and suzy 380 instead

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally got a reply from powerdynamo,they are looking into the problem
as to the wiring,ive removed the complete loom,pulled it apart and tried to find why its saying positive earth,as i dont think its wired that way
been thro it with a multi meter and i believe the ignition switch is causing many problems
as the powerdynamo supplies the ignition direct and not thro switch,ive removed it from the loom,it only seems to earth out the ignition side stopping sparks from working,might be wrong but its gone
going to fit the loom again next week and see what happens to it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
update on the powerdynamo wiring probs
got all the electrics working 12v now off the new battery,the difference is amazing,its like a modern bike now,lights bright,indicators flashing nice and brightly
not had engine running yet due to wait for the clutch plates from italy to cure the drag problems
confident the bike will be totally transformed from how it was,dim lights and rubbish starting
roll on spring/summer for some decent rides

·
Super Moderator
7,816 Posts
Good work. :clap::clap::clap:

You will need to do a write up after you get the bike running regarding the Power Dynamo install. :ele:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi
just a further update on the benelli install/clutch probs
the plates arrived and fitted to bike,bike started up 4th kick after approx 3yrs idle and non running,she sounds fantastic and idles perfect
lights/indicators ect are bright and work so much nicer than when 6v
charging at approx 13.4 volts
clutch still bit sticky ,but when left to run and get oil warmed up she now selects gears better and very little drag,so guess after a run should be fine.
so if any one wants help with powerdyno install i will be happy to offer advice,the actuall install is quite easy and timing up engine is very easy with the right cheap to buy bits
cant wait for decent weather and covid reductions to get out and ride a bike ive waited approx 44 yrs to ride,since seeing one for sale in putney bridge rd bike shop,it was new in approx 1974,i could not afford it ,so ended up with a yam yds7 secondhand,
i did end up owning 2 750 sei though but never the benelli that i wanted,most prob best i never owned it at 17yrs old ,i guess it would of lasted only a short time,due to abuse and lack of garage to stop her rusting

·
Super Moderator
7,816 Posts
Well done!!! :clap: I'd certainly appreciate a write-up regarding the PowerDynamo install. :ele::bow::ele:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I am new to the forum, this is my first post.
i have recently purchase a 1980 Benelli 250 2c which has an incomplete Vape / powerdynamo12V conversion.
The main mechanical parts have been fitted and the bike runs.
However I would like to improve the mounting of the rectifer/regulator and the ignition coils and the route of the wiring loom.
Has anyone else on the forum carried out the same modification and would like to share their recommendations?
I think I can help with the wiring side of things as I am modifying a copy of the wiring diagram from the manual to incorporate the 12V system but maintaining the original loom.
I will add this when I am happy with it.
The main issue I came across is the strange switching of the negative, which means the battery is only earthed when the ignition switch is on. It means the negative brown wires need to be earthed and not connected directly to the battery as showed on in the instructions.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Its a shame as the ignition side of the kit installs easy,its the charging side that causes the problem,the 2 parts or sides of it are quite seperate,i am pleased with the ignition part,but if the bike was normal and negative earth it would be an easy install.
I am at the point of wanting to start bike up,which it can be,but i will have no lights or other items to ride on road
i have sent vape/powerdynamo an email but no reply yet,
i have tried to wire up the bike to be negative earth,but some wires get hot so there is obviously hidden things in the loom that prevent this happening
the next step will be get an auto electrician involved,but that negates the easy install that the kit states
wish i had never started it
any one got access to a good wiring diagram for this bike
I have produced this if it is any help. It is a negative earth system, but the battery negative is only earthed when the ignition switch is on. The rectifier / regulator brown wire needs to be earthed but not connected to the battery negative otherwise it bypasses the ignition switch and is effectively “on” all the time.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts