Benelli Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I bought myself a Benelli TNT 1130. My first motorcycle. Before I start learning to ride, I decided to change all the technical fluids. Using the video manual and PDF manual, I changed the coolant. I unscrewed the bolt on the water pump and on the engine in the cylinder area, poured out the old fluid. But from the tank that shows the level of the liquid did not merge. I pressed the tubes, tilted the motorcycle, but the liquid did not drain from the reservoir. I decided to pump it out of there with a syringe, through the cap on this tank. Then I started pouring new coolant. Filled with about three liters, to the brim. But there was no liquid in the tank. I pressed the tubes and tilted the motorcycle, but no new fluid appeared in the reservoir. I started the engine and warmed up the bike to operating temperature. But there was no new coolant in the reservoir. Tell me what am I doing wrong? Why is new fluid not getting into the tank? At the same time, the liquid level in the neck near the right radiator does not decrease.

·
Super Moderator
7,883 Posts
I bought myself a Benelli TNT 1130. My first motorcycle. Before I start learning to ride
First of all, big respect. TNT 1130 for your first bike. Take it easy till you get used to it.

The bottle is an expansion tank and it only fills if and when the bike gets really hot. Just make sure you have all the air out of the system by squeezing the rubber hoses and then topping up the reservoir each time until you can get no more coolant in. Forget about the expansion bottle, it will take care of itself.

·
6,173 Posts
Exactly, instead of "expansion" it should be called "excess" as liquid it this bottle will never get back into cooling cycle
Mine does. As the coolant heats up, it expands and pressure increases to the point when the cap discharges into the expansion tank and the pressure drops. When the engine cools, the coolant contracts, creating a slight vacuum, which open the cap return valve, sucking the coolant from the expansion tank back into the radiator.
If the return isn't happening, the vacuum is sucking air back into the system from a leak, possibly a rotten Welch plug. If so, your fluid level will be slowly falling over time. You might not even notice the coolant leak when hot as it will evaporate when it hits the air. (Speaking from experience)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks everyone. Yesterday I studied how the cooling system works in this motorcycle and came to the same conclusion. But I think that it was not in vain that the manufacturer created the minimum and maximum marks on the tank. If during expansion 30-50 grams of liquid gets into an empty tank, then the system will no longer be able to pick it up when cooled. Since 30 grams of liquid on the entire area of the bottom of the tank will be too low. I think to rule this out, there should be coolant in the tank between the minimum and maximum marks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
thanks everyone. Yesterday I studied how the cooling system works in this motorcycle and came to the same conclusion. But I think that it was not in vain that the manufacturer created the minimum and maximum marks on the tank. If during expansion 30-50 grams of liquid gets into an empty tank, then the system will no longer be able to pick it up when cooled. Since 30 grams of liquid on the entire area of the bottom of the tank will be too low. I think to rule this out, there should be coolant in the tank between the minimum and maximum marks.
Welcome the the world of Benelli, I am like you, I like to see coolant in the overflow tank. So I lift the cap and using a plastic tube, syringe coolant into it. Nigel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts