Benelli Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was out riding the other day and the bike stalled at the roundabout for no apprent reason .it would only turn over very slowly on the starter but failed to fire. i left it for afew mins then tried again it fired 1st time ,the bikes done this a few times i thought because it seemed lazy the battery was suspect but that checked ok it will also cut out if you back off quick but this is very intermitent but can catch you out so has anyone any thoughts or simalar happenings thanx for any info

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
My CR sometimes turns over slowly if it is very hot and the fans kick in. I leave it a few minutes and all ok. Just a quirk that I can live with. Might be fixed by a doubled up power cable to the starter motor so it can carry the amps.
It does not bother me though.

Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hot Start Fix

There is a new starter gear and shaft that you can install. Benelli had a problem with the starter gears meshing to tight when the bike gets hot..Go to your Dealer and have them order the up-Dated shaft and gear. That will fix your problem..We have had to do this several times too 2007 models. 2008 models will not have this problem.

·
5,934 Posts
My CR sometimes turns over slowly if it is very hot and the fans kick in. I leave it a few minutes and all ok. Just a quirk that I can live with. .. It does not bother me though.
Paul
:( Paul, WORRY.:(
What PERFORMANCE BENELLI said, I've heard elsewhere.

Think about it. The hot start problem is partly due to binding between the clutch intermediate gear and the Z25, alternator/starter gear. Binding means that there's NO clearance left between the gears, at some point in their rotation.

Adding heat makes it worse .... that's why the starter struggles. NO clearance, has become NEGATIVE clearance. Something's got to give.

Have a guess what will "give" when the binding is extreme?

Not the gearbox primary shaft.
Not the Intermediate gear.
Not the Z25 gear.
Not the bearings.
Not the crankcase.

Only 1 thing left - the alternator drive shaft.

Break that, and there's a few 1130's that have, and you're off the road for a very long time, looking for a replacement engine.

The alternator drive shaft is a hardened piece. It will bend a little, but, if asked to move too many times, too far, it will crack.

The new shaft and gear are a matched pair, designed to minimise runout, and retain clearance with the intermediate gear.

Paul, YOU NEED this new shaft and gear.

·
5,934 Posts
Put THAT out there rather forcefully, didn't I.:eek:

There IS another reason for the Hot Start Problem. As I understand it, some 1130's can tighten up in the gearbox primary shaft. It's an end float thing apparently. What should happen, is the clutch case should spin freely on the shaft, when the clutch is disengaged. It doesn't when hot, because it runs out of end float. If you can imagine a washer spinning freely on a bolt, as you tighten a nut up, eventually it will grip the washer, and drag on it, making it harder and harder to spin. The tightening nut is analagous to expansion due to heat.

If that's your problem, Paul, it's potentially not as disastrous as binding gears. The trick is working out which problem you have. Personally, I'd try to fix both.

(Why do I get the sneaking suspicion, that there's even more to this hot start problem?)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts