Benelli Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Got out for a decent ride today and after 20 miles noticed coolant leaking from the rad on the right hand side. First noticed this as the bike had just cut out in heavy traffic. Pullled over to restart and the bike sounded really rattly. To cut a long story short, got home and investigated the leak to find that a stone had at some point completely worn away the elements on the inside of the rad. This is the second time this has occured - the first instance resulting in a new rad on the other side, this also from stone damage. We've noticed wear appearing on the new rad and are beginning to wonder if this is a design fault due to the positioning of the scoop. Also, I think the earlier models do not have the protective grill. Being at our wits end a letter to Benelli is in order and think twice about removing the protective grill if you have it for now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Radiator

Thanks for that piece of info, I'd better check my TnT as it has been constantly used for nearly 2 years without the grate covering the fans.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rad protection

get some stainless steel mesh, usually available from industrial screening products suppliers, should be bugger all

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting, I have removed my grilles and without a doubt it has dramatically increased the airflow through the rads, which appears to have stopped the overheating problem.
Most vehicles suck the air through the rads where as the benelli TNT blows air through. (although the new TNT fans now suck through the rads) So it is possible that a stone could be picked up and flicked into the rads, but if you look at most bikes there rads are facing forward just behind the front wheel where stones and debris are constantly hitting them. Maybe Aussievtr’s idea of a coarse screen in front of the fans is a good idea? I think I will run unscreened for a while and monitor carefully.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
radiators

Hey Guy's, I just received a kit from Benelli to move my radiator fans to the outside of the radiators, it comes with those finned covers that are on the '06 models and a manual idle adjust cable and a new map that deactivates the air-correction stepper at idle rpm (over 1000 rpm). The only thing is, you need the Axone tool to download the map.

I think the wires are reversed on the fan plugs so they suck instead of blowing.

I think these kits will be supplied (not fitted) for free on request if the dealer submits a claim through correct channels.

I've fitted the idle adjust cable, not sure if I'll remount the radiators just yet; I'm too busy right now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: radiators

thanks for the replies gents, i had thought about putting a mesh on the rads but now Johnny has mentioned the rad mod i may try and push to get one of those from my dealer. Comparing those fans on the tnt to other bikes they do seem to be rather close to the filaments and as VtxBrit pointed out maybe the rotation of the fan makes the situation worse.
excuse my ignorance but what do the other bits of the update do ? air- correction thingy:eek:
cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hey johnny 0, were getting there!!!........................... Thanks for the update I will contact my dealer today and get the sp.
terry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

hi all
Kjm rang us today and they are sending out the rad kit tomorrow,they didnt know anything about the idle adjuster but the map is going to be downloaded at my local dealer, i will try and fit the rad conversion next week, once again thanks for the info Johnny O things seem to be on the up:)
BTW does anyone have the speedo read zero intermitantly when going along ?
cheers Rich

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Hector, how did you get on with KJM? we got the upgrade today. The letter that came with it stated that it was a free upgrade for 04/05 bikes and that you just had to notify your dealer to request one. I think Redog have them in stock for any southern based peeps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Hi Guys, does any one have the part number (and price in case you have to pay for them) for the rads upgrade, because here in Greece they don’t know s**t…. Thanx in advance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

hi all
did the rad mod yesterday fairly straight forward , getting the map done this week at reddog
the rads are very beaten up where the fans used to be (got pics but dont know how to put them up)

part number for the kit is cod:R300000177000

cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts