Benelli Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
re: engine temp gauge reading?

Hello and sorry to be asking so soon but did the core plug thing and refilled the coolant(could only get 2.5ltrs in) and tried removing air in pipes etc. When running my bike seems to go from 80 to 100 on the temp and up and down like a fiddlers elbow - fans cut in at 90 and other time doesnt cut in till 100 so i'm all confused ! i thought air in the system so thought i might try taking radiator cap off and running engine on stand to see if air will purge through system . Any help on this matter appreciated as i'm enjoying the bike just worried over overheating it. honda sp1 used to do similar until bled thoroughly. Sorry to ask so soon and sure someone will have an answer. Thanks .

·
Registered
108 Posts
Would the above proceedure apply to an '07 TNT sport?
Are the refill necks in the same position?

Wouldn't leaning the bike all the way over with the rad cap off result in coolant spilling all over the body work?

thanks

·
5,963 Posts
The TNT radiators are on the sides, unlike the Tornado, which has it under the seat. Don't know where the TNT filler cap is, but the Tornado has it under the pillion seat. The bleeding procedure is probably different. But maybe not? Try it - or some variant of it.
The filler cap is quite high on the Tornado, and coolant doesn't flow out when you lean it right over.

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
re ; bleeding

thanks for the quick response :bow: and i'll do it as per stated, think i'm on original clocks as i have full service history and it only talks about replacement upper fairing,tacho resetting mod,replace kill switch new bolt on bike somewhere and latest tune all in march 2004 at 3,000 miles ,bikes only got 5,000 on it now. i talked to a sales guy in kjm friday whilst getting the core plugs and he said any upgrades probaly wouldnt be honoured by new benelli owners but i think i'll give brian of parts a ring monday who seems to be the guy who may help me out.Missus is seriously asking why did i sell the mille for this hassle but guess she's the one that see's me throw a wobbler too often!.Was so happy to do core plug and once i get over this all will be better i'm sure:rolleyes: .

·
5,963 Posts
The original dash mode switch operated differently to the current one. The original changed mode after 3 secs of holding the mode switch on, while it was still held on. The latest one will only change mode when the switch is released, after holding it on for at least 3 secs.
If you haven't got the latest, you need it, 'cos the original is hopelessly unreliable. Temp gauge is all over the shop, and the clock & trip meter resets too often.

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bugger !!!! it changes after pressing for 3 seconds !!!, guess i will see how i go on,bled air out and got another .5 ltr in , right time to get in touch with benelli uk and cap in hand see what they can do for me :bawl:. Just finished bleeding air and wife now has me changing brake pads on shogun . Thnx and if i get a result i'll let you know .

·
Super Moderator
7,779 Posts
Just tried your link Errol, and it goes to an astrophysics website, Nellis are getting complicated. :doh:
Ha Ha, This is where it should have taken you to Steve ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi guys, kinda on the same topic. I got stuck in traffic a few weeks back and the nelli dropped some coolant. I topped back up (didnt seem to take much) but ever since Im having problems with it running hot in holiday traffic and dropping coolant again. Drained the coolant and it was clean (not oily or anything) and replaced with a new coolant mix. Could only get about 2 and a bit litres in despite trying to get the bike as low as I could left and right. When the bike sits there idling it goes from 90-95 degrees with the fan coming on and off as it should and it doesnt overheat. Took it out for a run on a warm summer early eve in town traffic. When I pulled over it started overheating again and dropped some coolant :-( The seal on the rad cap looks iffy and may be the old size 22mm. When bled properly does it take the 2.5- 3 litres it should hold? Would a combination of air in the system and bad rad cap cause it to overheat like it is? Missing all the sun at the moment :-( Please help :bow:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Assuming you are talking about a Tre, hopefully you arent trying to fill to the mark as defined in the manual.

It isnt a reservoir, its just an overflow catch tank. The maximum fill level is the pressure cap. Anything after this is just to stop you dropping too much on the road. It first goes into the catch tank, and then 2nd ends up on the back of your engine, then 3rd end up on the floor (or a puff of steam).

Temperature and pressure are proportional. If one goes up so with the other. So if the pressure cap isnt working then it will just keep spurting fluid into the catch tank rather than pressurising the system and getting the radiators working harder.

Second issue. The boiling point of a fluid increases with the pressure it is under, so the pressure is needed to keep it liquid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts