Benelli Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, The RS has started the rear squeal on light rear brake applications, is there a easy fix or should I drop in new rear pads/, theirs still heaps of material left on the originals.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Rear brake....what's one of those....? never used it.... :D
noticed this on my 900 Tre during first ride on Sunday. Thinking of it, it was only when I used the rear brake?
Haven't checked the brakes yet, but the bike only has 2500 miles and state of tyres suggest previous owners have not been abusive.

Regards, Bob

·
keeft
70 Posts
My Tre-K's rear started squealing at 300miles and when using medium pressure over a medium breaking distance, its bloody annoying. The fronts started to let out a little squeal at 500miles again on light to medium pressure on slow downs for traffic lights.

Other Tre-K owner say their brakes, especially rear, squeal like a bunch of teenage schoolgirls reading a copy of Playgirl :doh:

Has the god :bow: Rusty-Russ have anything to add, such as "known issue" etc

·
northern member
2004 Tornado
623 Posts
Squealing Brakes

Kleft.

Took my Trek into the mighty Russ :bow: to have the front brakes looked at and when I got it back the brakes were better but after a good run they were as bad as ever, it apears to be that they glaze over with light to medium use, I have used heavy breaking to deglaze the pads and this seems to work for a short while. Im going to have new pads fitted before the start of the season next year to see if this make any difference. I'll have a word with Rusty at the NEC show to get his opinion on what to fit.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
The rear brake on my 2004 TNT squeals like a piggy on light use. If we think glazing is an issue, and I could certainly believe it, I might try some sintered pads on the rear.
I'm not sure if its legal to mix sintered on the rear with std fronts but that's not the most illegal aspect of my riding, Officer!

·
keeft
70 Posts
Well I'm not up to bombing around like a scalded cat and braking like a racer just to deglaze the pads. Considering the Tre-K is meant to be the "standard" of the family it should have more "standard" pad materials. I think that dumping the OE pads is the only way to go, not sure who makes the standard pads, but I bet its not any leading aftermarket brand.

I vote Pop's tests this theory first :D :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts