Benelli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear brake makes a horrible screech when braking, i have removed them, cleaned them and the disc, greased between the pistons and pads etc, then they are ok for a little while then they do it again!! has any one else had the same thing ? I cant think of anything else to do apart from new pads.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
7,770 Posts
Hi Colin,

I had the exact same problem on my first Tornado and it bugged the living daylights out of me. Done all the same things you have tried and it only fixed it for a little while then the old screeching was back again.:bawl:

Ended up changing the pads to fix it and after a little while it bloody started doing it again. Ended up changing the bike for another new one after that and strangely enough, this one has never done it once :)

So there's where you are going wrong buddy...........trade-in your current bike for a new one and you should be fine :rolling:

·
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Laurence,I might end up doing that !!!!! ive tried about 6 times and it is "cracking me up":mad: I might try making some shims to go between the pads and the pistons.

·
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have removed my rear pads again, the metal plate looks like it is not dead flat, so i stuck a bit of duct tape on the rear where the piston pushes and so far they have not screeched since !!!!!!
If they start again I might take Laurence's advice and buy a new bike !!!;)

·
president
1,009 Posts
New Benelli Helpline

god(admin) and president sharky have decided to set up a helpline for distressed benelli owners......and are also in discussions for a free counciling service only availible for tornado owners( BIG BAD AL to have own special counciler on 24 hour call out ):rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

COLIN please ring 0800 itoldunottobuyayellerone.com.......and reverse the charges as you must be skint as u havnt bought me my cup of tea yet......

·
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cup of tea !

Sharky I should have saved enough cash to buy you the cup of tea in about 3 weeks ;) There may also be a small packet of custard creams on the cards !!!! :)

·
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IR, I tried copper grease , i even tried BREMBO special grease ! I thought I had it cured with a bit of tape between pads and pistons , but you guessed it is doing it again !!! aaarrrrrrggggggggg !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:doh:
The pads seem to have a lot of metal sinter, Ill have to get new pads or a new bike.....:bawl:

·
Super Moderator
7,770 Posts
It would stop the squeal if he put it on the pad surface!:eek: :bump: :blur: :bawl: :mad: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
It might stop the brake squeal Lloyd but he probably wouldn't hear it anyway over the squealing he would be doing :rolling:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Does anybody know (Laurence/Errol) what kind of bolts I should use to fix the rear brake disc to the wheel?

Should they be special benelli, or would any kind do. Type? Strength?

I've got forged Machesini's and the disc needs to be attached. The wheel and disc came separate without the bolts.

Any idea on tighning torque. (i thought 22nm)

·
Super Moderator
7,770 Posts
You're pretty close, the bolts are M8 and they should be tightened to 25nm.
Errol will probably keeep you right with the exact type but I guess stainless steel would do the job.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Re: brake squeel!

Hi just read your thread and the problem your having with your rear brake,
I think the problem you have is that your rear disc is way too smooth and shinny have a look! if it is you will need to rough that mother up on both sides with some real course sand paper not too much mind you! and just rub the pads over a bit just make sure you do this on a flat surface.Have used this method on squeaky car disc brakes and it's solved the problem every time.

·
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did eventually find the real reason for my squeeky rear disc,(I think I have said in another thread) and the cause was one of the pistons sticking, I removed the caliper and pumped the pistons in with a spacer between to stop the pistons popping right out,then cleaned the pistons with a bit of rag and a very small amount of brake fluid. When checked after clean the pistons moved both together and it has not squeeked since.:)
colin.

·
Registered
417 Posts
You're pretty close, the bolts are M8 and they should be tightened to 25nm.
Errol will probably keeep you right with the exact type but I guess stainless steel would do the job.
ducatisuperbike55 - download the RS workshop manual... all in there.

Although workshop manual tables at the front say M8/25Nm (as per Lawrence's reply), the actual chapter on re-assmbling rear-wheel says 22Nm! (both on greased thread). This is quite normal I am finding for Benelli related info :doh:

·
349 Posts
Both of my Nellies have occasionally squealed from the rear brake but only just on the last few revolutions of the wheel as i pull up.Not when braking hard at speed,so i just dont use the rear brake at very low speeds.:)

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts

·
northern member
2004 Tornado
623 Posts
STOPPING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolling:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts