Benelli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could somebody inform me of any manufacturers recalls on any parts associated with the 2004 Tornado. I may require guidance regarding frame number identification on ascertaining which parts are effected on my bike.
Illene B.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Welcome to the forum Illene.
A list of Aussie bikes that needed the clutch recall can be found HERE
Your frame number can be found in your VIN, an explanation of which can be found HERE.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Engenia/JohnnyO,
my vin 213 and engine number 2251 are on the recall list for the clutch baskets. Where would I take my bike for the basket to be replaced?( under warranty I would imagine)This would also explain the rattly engine...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Louis, you need to get that Tre to a dealer ASAP. A1 in Ringwood used to deal in Benelli, but maybe not any more? The importer, SCPS, in Moss Vale, NSW, can be reached at 02 4868 3933. Their contact details can be found at SCPS Contacts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Louis, As Eugenia already mentioned get your TRE asap to a dealer. Don't drive it anymore not even for one feet. If the engine noise become from the basket, pray for the best.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tornado updates

I doubt very much that the rattle that you hearing is a broken clutch basket, when it goes it is the most awesome sounding banging you have ever heard, to my knowledge, I am the only Tornado rider that has broken a clutch basket gear in Australia.

Tornado & TnT engines are just noisy. If you have an abnormal rattle, I would say that it relates to the first ever Tornado update, the 'generator coupling bolt lock washer'. If the generator coupling bolt comes loose, and the early ones could because they were only loctited in, the generator driven gear rattles on the generator drive gear on the back of the clutch basket (the same one that brakes) and wears the teeth real bad.

This problem has only ever happened to me and Tax in Australia, and Tax it happened twice, firstly beacuse Benelli did not have Tax's frame number on the original update listing, and secondly, because the idiot repairer reassembled the engine without the lockwasher! (Scot Walker Motorcycles).

The affect frame numbers for Australia are:-

ZBNTB00003P100016 (NZ)
ZBNTB00003P100017 my Tornado
ZBNTB00003P100027
ZBNTB00003P100028
ZBNTB00003P100033
ZBNTB00003P100058
ZBNTB00003P100059
ZBNTB00003P100061*
ZBNTB00003P100077*
ZBNTB00003P100161*
ZBNTB00003P100213
ZBNTB00003P100214
ZBNTB00003P100215
ZBNTB00003P100220*
ZBNTB00003P100297 Tax's bike

The frame numbers with the asterisk after it might not have been done as I did not receive dealer confirmation of them doing it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
updates

Actually that problem didn't happen to my Tornado, only Tax's..... twice!

It is really quick & easy to check, just remove the generator (3 bolts) and see if the bolt in the centre of the damper rubbers has a lock washer or not. Use some gasket goo to hold the rubber dampers in place to refit the generator.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: updates

Thankfully Tax's bike has a brand spanking tornado RS engine in it now and Tax hopes for a trouble free riding experience.. yeah! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine's a 2006 model by the way..

My dealer is a bit vague to say the least when it comes to my Tornado...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you sure your bike is 2006 ? if you look back on this page it has a link to vin nos explanation, if 10 th digit is 6 it is 2006 apparently.
where did you buy your bike ? I have seen 2003 models advertised as 2006.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RS recalls

The RS had no recalls, the only problems I've seen with the RS is, one shagged balance shaft bearing (and it sounded real bad) and two failed fuel pumps.

The fuel pumps are the same from Tornado thru RS to TnT so it aint RS specific. The RS bottom end is the same as Tornado anyway, it must have just got a bit of @#%$ in it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: RS recalls

Just today I got new starter motor from my local dealer to my tre.
It should help start the engine and solve the resetting clock problem. Haven't not yet installed it, but I will let you all know if it works.
Is there some lights in the tunnel, or is it just a train coming 8o

W: Pekka

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: RS recalls

Checked my clutch basket and the alternator drive gear,middle on the clutch basket is definitely only 6mm, so I guess it has not yet been modified.
The good news is that it has not worn at all yet and actually looks in good condition. I spoke to Calvin at A1 and he said to bring it in when I get it back on the road and he will check it out for me. If he confirms it hasnt been done it should be covered by the factory recall.It looks like it should be ok to ride the 20 kms to A1 for the inspection.
Looks like the next problem to check is the alternator drive lock tab. JohnnyO, thanks for your description.
I should get the fairings back from MCR tomorrow and the bike will be going back together this week.

Then off to A1 for the valve clearances to be done, as they are all tight, the clutch basket, new tyres(any recommendations??? Dunlop qualifiers/Michelin Pilot powers???) RWC and on the road, finally. Fingers crossed!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
clutch gear

The narrow clutch gear does not 'wear', it develops cracks from the lightening holes to the gear teeth.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts