Benelli Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Member - Avatar by MDIB
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went fro a spin for the first time over the Reefton Spur. I cant believe I have never done this before but im not sure my old rs125 would have loved it. The Nelli however ate it up.
I:clap: :clap: t was challenging but awesome to say the least, then went to lake mountain and down to Marysville. Met a heap of other riders on the way everyone in good cheer and must strongly recommend it to anyone who gets the chance. I expect it would be pretty busy at weekends but today it was unsurpassable. happy trails indeed.:)

·
5,928 Posts
Rates as one of my favourites. Oxley Hwy is up there as well.
They're both a day or more from me, but I ride them every chance I can get.
Best during the week though. I managed to have it all to myself once! (Helped to do it just after rain.)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Eugenia/Shogun,
I haven't travelled any of the roads you are describing - But your enthusiasm is infectious and wish I was there to enjoy the experience.:bow:

Guess a great biking road is a great biking road, whichever end of the globe we live!:)

Safe riding and Happy New Year.

Stephen R.

·
Member - Avatar by MDIB
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your right about the great biking road is a great biking road and I expect that it would be awfully cool also to ride from one country to another the way you guys can.

·
Member - Avatar by MDIB
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Errol
I will have to have a crack at Oxley Hwy as well, have you ridden the Macquarie Pass in NSW on the way down to the gong. Ive been in a car pre cycle ownership but I remember it would have been a good run also
Sean

·
5,928 Posts
OK you guys in Europe. I've had an idea bubbling away in the back of my brain for a while. If I ship the bike over to your neck of the woods, what itinerary do you suggest? I was thinking of maybe taking in a WSB & a MGP round. 3 weeks to do it?
What do you reckon?

·
1,231 Posts
Brands

Aug 1st thru the 3rd. Ship your bike to me. We can do the Brands round of WSB and then send you on your way to Scotland to meet up with the other guys. I can then send some of your stuff you don't need back to your house and you can drop your bike back by and/or I can drop it for shipment back to your house. Also, ship the rest of your stuff back then!!! My last year in england mate so I am going to make it a good one!!!

·
150 Posts
Mee too

Aug 1st thru the 3rd. Ship your bike to me. We can do the Brands round of WSB and then send you on your way to Scotland to meet up with the other guys. I can then send some of your stuff you don't need back to your house and you can drop your bike back by and/or I can drop it for shipment back to your house. Also, ship the rest of your stuff back then!!! My last year in england mate so I am going to make it a good one!!!
If Errol is coming to Europe, I will too. Oh, but I live in Europe, but too far north, you guys dont't have even maps from here :rolling:
Some day, I will come to see you there :)

W: Pekka from near polar circle. As you know, father xmas live near by me :bawl:

·
5,928 Posts
What are your favorite European roads?

Johnny, thanks for the offer mate. I may just take you up on it. I'm in negotiations with the missus at the moment. Probably won't bring Nelli over. Maybe I'll resurrect an old Honda. That way I could trash it & not bring it back!

Just need some good roads to ride on, but judging by the deafening silence, maybe you don't have any?

Surely you guys must have some favorites?

Where are they?

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
Johnny, thanks for the offer mate. I may just take you up on it. I'm in negotiations with the missus at the moment. Probably won't bring Nelli over. Maybe I'll resurrect an old Honda. That way I could trash it & not bring it back!

Just need some good roads to ride on, but judging by the deafening silence, maybe you don't have any?

Surely you guys must have some favorites?

Where are they?
I have a number of favorites, what countries do you want to ride in? One of the ones that stands out in my mind is 273 in southern Spain. Fantastic road with no traffic and lots of great turns. If I go digging through my maps from that trip I can give you more details. I have some nice routes in Spain, France, Austria, and Germany.

·
5,928 Posts
ducboy, aren't you based in San Fran?

Was thinking UK, France, Spain, maybe Italy, but I'm not fussed. Just want to string together a series of the best on offer.

Let's know what you've got.

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
ducboy, aren't you based in San Fran?

Was thinking UK, France, Spain, maybe Italy, but I'm not fussed. Just want to string together a series of the best on offer.

Let's know what you've got.
Yep, I'm near San Fran, across the bay in Oakland. I can send you some of the routes we rode in Spain on my Edelweiss MotoGP trips. I've done 3 of them in Spain, 2 starting/ending in Barcelona and going all through the Pyrennes into southern France, and 1 starting and ending in Malaga, going across the mountains to Jerez, then along the coast back to Malaga. Our routes stay off of the main roads as much as possible and go mostly on backroads. I'll have to dig up my trip logs and write up the routes that had the most fun riding.

·
5,928 Posts
Excellent, please do.

Judging by what I have seen on the Tour de France for the last few years, the south of France / Pyrennes area looks ideal.

On your "Edelweiss" trips, do you ship your own bike, or hire?

Are these something you organised yourself, or is it a commercial enterprise?

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
These tours are through Edelweiss Bike Travel out of Austria:
http://www.edelweissbiketravel.com
I've done 5 of them, all MotoGP tours (LeMans, Brno, Catalunya twice, and Jerez). They own a fleet of BMWs and for the GP tours, they also get a few Ducatis and Suzukis. The tour price includes the bike (prices vary based on which bike you request - the F650 is the cheapest). On my 5 trips I have ridden: BMW R1100S, BMW F650GS, Ducati ST4 (twice), and once when I asked for an SV650 they couldn't get enough of them and I ended up on a GSX750 Katana, which actually was surprisingly nice for touring.
They provide a chase van that carries all your luggage, you only need to carry what you want for the day on the bike (usually that will fit in a tank bag). Each evening when you arrive at the hotel, your bags are already in your room. And the hotels are always first-class. I'm planning on doing the Mugello MotoGP tour this year, it starts and ends in Munich. I was supposed to do that tour in 2006 but the broken leg killed that plan. 5 of my buddies went and had a great time.

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
Excellent, please do.

Judging by what I have seen on the Tour de France for the last few years, the south of France / Pyrennes area looks ideal.
Yes, we have actually ridden on some of the roads the Tour de France goes on, we even saw a lot of the chalk markings on the pavement left over from the Tour. Switchback city, some of those roads, but still fun as hell!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts