Benelli Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

this is a slightly strange one. I have tried to remove the number plate holder and the two screws under the tail turn and click and turn and click, but never come loose.

Any ideas ?

thanks
Dave

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Yip, this a common issue. the threaded inserts that the bolts screw into end up just turning in the plastic and they can be a right bugger to get out. However, if you completely dismantle the rear section including the fan housing you can access the end of the threaded inserts from inside the tail section and you may have a better chance of preventing them from turning when you remove the bolts.

Remember to slap on some corrosion block on the bolt threads or grease them well up before you reassemble to help prevent it from happening again.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I have just replaced mine with a CF one and the screws I reckon you are talking about fit into an threded insert cast into the underside - the fact they are spinning makes me think something may have snapped off :bawl: .
Fingers crossed it hasnt :( - You may have to strip the rear plastics down to get to it properly

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Hi Guys,

thanks for that - never stripped that area down before. something to look forward to.
After dropping it on a track day I now remove everything that may get damaged that I don't need. one wing mirror is £115 new these days.

Tommorrow is Brands GP curcuit - it will just have to stay on for that one !

Cheers
Dave

·
No good with spanners....
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,415 Posts
Hi guys

this is a slightly strange one. I have tried to remove the number plate holder and the two screws under the tail turn and click and turn and click, but never come loose.

Any ideas ?

thanks
Dave
Large Hammer?:doh:

like it says,no good with spanners.............

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I have the same problem with mine, I have tried to grip the plastic with long nosed mole grips with tape on to protect it and stop the nut from spinning, with no success. Ironicly the two unused blank bolts, forward of those come out easy !! So Im going to strip it out at next service to do it.
By the way, if you want to replace the panel, its PART NO R21023731A RAD COWLING, back order from Italy at £40 each, Steve.

·
5,928 Posts
Happened to me a year or so ago. The inserts are only hexagons, & that's not real smart in that type of plastic. Not enough to grip to.
I eventually removed the screw with the insert attached, and after separating them, silver soldered a small bar across the back of the insert. Then glued / melted the insert back into position. Now there's heaps for the plastic to grip to, & haven't had a problem since.

·
1,231 Posts
Carbon

MIne are sealed in the LE but they can still come loose and spin. Solution: A drop of crazy glue in each one to seal the metal ferral against the plastic. That should keep them from spinning!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts