Benelli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to keep having problems with the clutch on my 900 tre (slipping in 3rd gear when fully accelerating on a sloped straight section), and even after the dealership replaced the clutch basket it still seems to happen. I m fed up with this and might consider replacing the entire thing altogether. Any suggestions? Maybe putting the dry clutch of the LE? And what would that cost?

·
5,891 Posts
clutch stuff

I've been collecting clutch info from this forum for a while now. You can find it HERE.
Much of it from JohnnyO.

You might also check the travel on the lever. If it's not fully released, it will slip. I had the opposite problem, which made finding neutral difficult.

Good luck.

·
903 Posts
Slipping clutch

:p

Not sure why you would change a clutch basket to cure a slipping clutch! I would have thought that it would either be weak springs, worn plates or faulty slipper.

·
1,841 Posts
clutch continued

Or the type of oil used, or incorrect clearance at the operating end (engine end) or at lever???????? A badly hammered basket can cause slip by hanging up the plates IYSWIM.......... and another posibility is a bent push rod or corroded etc.. or the same with the lever mech that pushes on the rod ????

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apparently the basket got hammered as you stated and they should have fixed this with a new basket? Well, i m no bike technician so no idea about how to solve this dough ....

·
3,081 Posts
yep

STM do a wet slipper for Benelli, both tornado and tnt, they used to have it listed on there web site, but not now i think

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
Slipper clutches were fitted as standard to my first TRE and also my current TRE.

Are you sure that you don't have one fitted as standard too?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Apparently they removed them from the 2004 model?
The 2003 i did a test with had one, the 2004 i bought did not :confused:
At least that's what the dealer told me and what i feel when riding. Either there is none, or there is one and it is badly set-up. I m not going to try what it does by downshifting like an idiot and releasing the clutch without touching the accelerator ;)

I found STM indeed sell a slipperclutch for the Tornado.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Slipper Clutch

I have a 2005 Tre and it definitely has a slipper clutch. If you look in the repair manual you will see the construction of the cluch supports this, there is a ramp actuator at the base whose function is to unload the clutch under a reverse loading situation - when you downshift without blipping the throttle.

If you have a Tre and have ever upshifted at part throttle from higher rpms (say 7000), you will feel an inconsistancy in the clutch lever from the slipper clutch, it will feel like a juddering through the lever as the slipper clutch unloads the pack to compensate for the mismatch in revs.

Dean

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
irfuel, both of my TRE's were 2004 models :confused:

Why don't you try 'bump' starting the engine when you are going down a steep hill, If you have a slipper clutch fitted, you will find that it is almost impossible to start the engine as the rear wheel will not turn the engine sufficiently due to the clutch slipping.

This begs the question as to what you should do if you are stranded with a flat battery somewhere!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
My 2004 Tre definately does not have a slipper clutch and is a lot better for it. None of that disconcerting clutch lever float you get when changing gear.

.. Oh and I can find neutral !

I came from a twins background so I like the ability to determine the slide. To me a slipper clutch is like ABS. A good idea for those who cant do it properly. :duel:

Aarron :D

·
903 Posts
Slipper clutch!

You won't be saying that when you are slamming down the gears comming into a chicaine on a race track!

I raced for six years in the late eighty's and wished I'd had had one then. At Misano the clutch never got time to rest and it was great fun leaving great big black lines everywhere!:)

·
Registered
213 Posts
clutch

Hi guys, I can confirm that ALL Tornados made were fitted with a slipper clutch fitted as standard, If for any reason your's is missing odd's are that it's been removed by a dealer or a person before you had the bike.
The train of thought was that this component was a factor which made finding neutral a problem!

By the way the slipper on the Tre/RS is great better in my opinion than other ones on the market;) ;)

PS those who can't ride and need a slipper clutch, V Rossi, J Toseland, G Lavilla to name a few;) ;) ;) yer right:D :D

Slipper clutches, If you ride fast you need one FACT;)

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
My tre has a slipper clutch and when I am a bit 'ham fisted' with the down changes then I am so glad it does.

I had a firestorm prior to the Nelli and I had a few moments when nearly outbraking and down shifting for tight corners and roundabouts - my mates behind said it looked great, but my pants didnt quite agree !!! :rolling:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi guys, I can confirm that ALL Tornados made were fitted with a slipper clutch fitted as standard, If for any reason your's is missing odd's are that it's been removed by a dealer or a person before you had the bike.
The train of thought was that this component was a factor which made finding neutral a problem!
Well, my dealer told me that from the 2004 model on they didnt provide the slipperclutch anymore because of too many complaints about it :doh: Maybe it depends on to which country the bike is shipped?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts