Benelli Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick one folks.

I was having a look at the pics that people have posted of their bikes on this site and I've noticed that TobyChi's bike has what looks like a double bubble screen fitted to his. The screen on my bike is pants and is just for cosmetic purposes I'm sure:( but I'd really like to know where I can get a hold of one of these screens. Also, because the mirrors are pretty crap would anyone know if it would be against the law to ride without them over here in the UK?
Have a nice day people,

Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wouldnt mind knowing where to get these screens from (in the UK) as well. Havn't a clue myself. As for mirrors, as naff as they are - unless you 4ft 6in - I wouldnt run w/out them on UK roads anyways. Im pretty sure its illegal if the bike was originally fitted with them from the factory. I know you can get daytime MOT's for the lights etc but I dont think the mirrors are covered

Dean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got my double bubble screen fitted by 'Double Cross' at Three legged Cross, along witht he Carbon kit (Front mudguard, heel plates and rear hugger) as an optional extra. I don't know if they are available separately, but I can ask for you when I go to the dealers in Cologne, when I go to collect my tank protector. Strange thing was, last week 3X had a set of plastic mudguards, heel plates and rear hugger for sale on eBay, what the betting they were the buggers off my bike!

As for the Mirrors, they are not part of UK law, it is not a requirement for you to have mirrors fitted. Mind you, no one should rely on mirrors alone, life savers should be made all the time!

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got my D/B screen last year through KJM who had them in stock.

Clear cost around £112 + £3 postage
Smoked are a little more expensive

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
£112 for a bit of plastic:eek: :eek:

I never realised that when you bought one of these bikes you had to have 'take me for a mug' tattooed on your forehead:b

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mirrors

Al, as mentioned previously, the mirrors can be fixed for taller riders by bending up the upper fairing mount arms. This is a quick & easy mod. Don't bend them too far or the black inner panels won't sit quite right.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: mirrors

When John told me how to fix the mirrors a year ago, I almost went cross-eyed! When it came down to it though, it was fairly easy.

I took the fairing off to reveal the 2 aluminium upper fairing mount arms (from memory they are 16mm tubes). I measured the distance between a point on each mirror bracket, to a point on each of the fork caps. Then I fitted a steel tube over the arms and gently bent them back! After a couple of shots, I had moved them both back 10mm.

Refitting the fairing was not quite as easy as before, but still acceptable. The mirrors are now at the right angle to see what's behind me (not what's under me!)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

OH MY GOD!!!!

I am not sure that I could be brave enough to attempt that, I am sure you are quite competent and doing it did not faze you, but I would sh*t myself at the thought of damaging the bike, the repair costs would be astronomical if I cocked it up!

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Scary as it is what a great solution on the mirror positioning. I may give it a go on its next service while its stripped (so to speak). Didnt realise it was legal in UK to take mirrors off but hey you learn something everyday!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mirrors

Guy's, all of our demo Tornado's that I have modified, I did without removing any bodywork, I just put my hand under where the mirrors bolt on and reaf it up, it's a bit spooky hearing the plastics creak but never had one break yet. Maybe I have the magic touch :smokin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Al,

I thought my screen was the stock screen... It came standard from the showroom floor of Arthaworks (GP Star.) Perhaps you could contact them... in the US...

www.gpstar.net/contactus.html ask for yours truely Joel (who has just introduced himself here to the forum)

As for mirrors... bend it like beckham... :eek

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can't you do a pictorial demo doing this, it might insall a bit of confidence in me!!!!!!!!!

Andy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts