Benelli Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
After reading johnny o's comments regarding the clocks i decided to do a basic test of my own. It would seem, (on my RS anyway) that when the ignition is turned on if the display is alternating between 0 and oil that my trip and clock will hold their memory. However if the display is also flashing the word bat then they reset, i have deliberately ran the battery down by leaving the lights on and have achieved the same results several times. It will probably have no bearing on the other clock and gauge faults, i know that this is not very scientific or conclusive but may suggest that the use of a battery conditioner may eliminate this particular annoyance.
Perhaps somebody else would care to corroborate my theory. Also any advice on how to stop my idle speed from raising to 2200rpm then taking some while to drop, normally happens after some hard riding then slowing or stopping quickly

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Battery conditioner

Keith,
A battery conditioner is the answer....I had an RSV Mille before buying the Tornado and that used to use a lot of juice turning the bike over and on occasion the clocks reset. After buying an Optimate III and leaving it connected to the bike in the garage when not in use the problem never happened again. I have connected the Optimate to the Tornado and so far no problems...;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Resetting Clocks

The original (Rev.A) instrument circuit will reset at 4.0 Volts if the main switch is OFF, and 6.0 Volts if it is ON. The problem is much more than changing a capacitor on the board. The manufacturer of the board has had 4 (as far as I can tell) shots at getting it right. My Rev. D instrument has never reset (yet), but I suspect that it will if the battery voltage gets low enough (probably 4.0 volts) - Mikethemitch's use of a battery conditioner will help, but probably not for the Rev.A instrument.
The bike?
I've talked to more strangers in the 6 months I've had the bike, than I have in the 6 years before I got it. It is stunning. If I wanted to race, maybe I would have an R1. If I wanted to be the fastest, maybe a 'Busa. I just want to ride in places like the Bonang Highway, Mansfield, the Reefton Spur .... bliss on a Tre!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
resetting clocks

i agree with engenia w r t a battery conditioner not helping.i have one connected to my tre and even use a multimeter to check voltage is ok (which it is ) even so when i disconnect and start bike if (1 in 4-6 starts) it stutters the clock/trip reset
if the clocks can`t be sorted how about the stutter???

regards colin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
resetting clocks

Colin, the "stutter" you refer to is the tendancy for the engine to hesitate - and maybe stop - when you're cranking it (just before it fires). When it does this, the starter draws a huge current, which drags down the battery terminal voltage. If it gets down to 6V, the (Rev.A) clocks will reset.
You can't help the "stutter" - you need a bigger/better battery, and there's no room for it.
The clock reset can be improved. I've got my Rev.A clock working down to 4V on the bench, which is probably enough. I'm waiting on parts so that I can test it on the bike. When I'm satisfied with it, I'll let you all know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: resetting clocks

Thanks Engenia,

That information would be most helpful when available.

It would be nice to eventually have a trip meter that works but most of all it is the clock that I miss the most.

BTW: Did we meet at the Italian Motorshow in CBR?

cheers
Tax

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Only way to know for sure is to open it up. It is printed on the circuit board.
You could perhaps get an idea of the revision from the serial number printed on the rear of the case. The serial number of my Rev.A is 0306201200042. That of my Rev.D is 0409031200086.
My guess is that the Rev.A was completed on the 20th June, 2003, and the Rev.D, 3rd September, 2004. So if yours starts with 0409, chances are it's a Rev.D, and resetting shouldn't be a problem - Please let me know if it is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Does anyone know where I can find a plug which will fit the Tre dash?
A discarded section of that part of the loom would suffice.

It would make it much easier to test a dash after fitting my reset correction circuit. I've looked in all the usual places, but can't find it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
resetting clocks

enginia i`m afraid i can`t help with a spare section of loom but i would be more than happy to try your mod and if nescessary? take the clocks off and put back on until the cows come home.i have no warranty on bike so i`ll have a go at most things that need sorting.i have access to electronics dept at work so should be able to follow diagram/instructions using your/their help.

regards colin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Colin, I retrofitted my old instrument last week, but have not tested it enough yet.
If it doesn't reset by the end of July, I'll release the mod to 2 others - that's all the parts I have at present. Yours can be one of them, and I'll do it for cost.
Bear in mind though - the unmodified instrument resets at 6V, my mod lowers this to about 4. But there is a time constant. If the circuit is left to stabilise (5-10 secs), the reset will happen at 4.6V. There is a storage capacitor on the main board trying to hold it up. Generally, though, the voltage doesn't dip for more that a second (true?).
If it does, I'll have to look a little deeper!

Damn! It failed last night. Dipped for less than a second, but must have gone below 4V.
Round 3 ...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
resetting clocks

enginia,what a shame the mod you done didn`t work how have things been progressing??
do you know if there is a battery on market that has a higher crancking amp than the original battery for the same given size?
if i can get rid of 'stutter'this i beleive, will stop clocks resetting.

regards colin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Colin, getting rid of the stutter will solve the problem, but I reckon you'll be hard pressed to do it. I don't know of a battery that will fit in the space, that will be powerful enough.

One thing that would help, is to run the starter motor current seperately from the rest of the bike power. Currently, on mine, anyway, there is one positive wire which goes from the battery to the solenoid, and the power is distributed from there. A better way would be to pick off the bike power from the battery terminal, rather than the solenoid terminal. That way you don't get the additional voltage drop on the starter wire. I haven't tried it though, preferring a complete solution.

I'm progressing with the instruments. The next step is to provide temporary power to them. This can be done outside the unit, so will be easier to fit. It will mean breaking into the loom just before the instrument, picking up +, - & the main switch wire. If this works, and I can see no reason why not, then you could disconnect the battery for several minutes, and the instruments would keep their settings.

I have the parts to do it, just need the time. I'll keep you posted.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Any news on this? I have the stutter too, once out of every 5-6 starts, and every time it resets the clock/trip. I also have an Aprilia RSV100R that used to do the same thing but as long as I keep it on the Battery Tender it doesn't happen. With the Tre, that doesn't seem to help.
thanks -
mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Haven't been able to get back to this yet. One dilema is the way to connect into the loom. It would be simplest to use the same connectors as are in the loom and instrument cluster. Unfortunately, I can't find out who makes them.

--- Any ideas who makes them?

Alternatively, I could break into the loom and add a standard connector, and use only the wires necessary.

--- Are you guys happy to go cutting wires?

I also thought, while I'm breaking into the loom, I could pick up the signal to the speedo and add a circuit which would correct the speedo inacurracy. Mine reads 10% high. Part of this due to the rear wheel - I can't get the specified profile (190/55), and suspect no one else can either. It came with a 190/50, so it's rotating faster, to go the same speed, hence the error.

--- Is this a worthwhile addition?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Its worth going the plug in route. People will buy a part that allows the bike to go back to its original state. Only a few pluck up the courage to hack their pride and joy about.

My brother and I raced Laverda's for a while and needed to create a new harness, so I baught the crimp tool and a he baught a bunch of connectors.

We made a patch lead that allowed laverda's to start properly (cutting out a relay that kept turning off the ECU). We made a few and placed them for sale, and we sold so many that we made our money back on the crimp tool and the connectors.

In a previous thread I saw someone post a picture of the connector. Unfortunately at the time I could not find it. If someone has a set of clocks appart and can find a makers mark or serial number we may have more luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I have my old set still. John O has kindly allowed me to use it for testing.

The plug is marked A20FW on the front. The instruments themselves, are made by Facomsa.

Is anyone able to give me any leads on the connector manufacturer?

In the meantime, I'll go the easy route, and cut into the loom. It will go back to almost original, since the connectors will plug into each other - parting to include the extra circuit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts