Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My bike says it needs a service, which I've done, but how do I get the "service" to disappear from the dash? Is it some clever mix of presses on the starter, or do I need the dealer to do it with his box of tricks? With the Service thing on, I have to move it on to clock and trip each time I start the bike.

thanks

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Hey robin
just hold in the starter button in for at least 10 seconds and it should go away

Won't you be turning the bike over for ten seconds then?

If I remember right, turn on the ignition, set the display onto 'clock' mode then hold the button in for about ten seconds (the display change button, not ingition start button.

If it isn't in 'clock' mode, it is one of the three modes!

Andy

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
my dealer told me that he needs a password from benelli for the axone box to reset the service message !
Anyway: TORNADOTRE : the display change button, not ingition start button.

Sorry but there is an other button that the ignition one to change display ?
Err, possibly not, just noticed you lot are on a TnT, I didn't notice and as referring to the Tornado method, so it could be different on your steeds!

Apologies, my bad!

Andy

·
Registered
123 Posts
my dealer told me that he needs a password from benelli for the axone box to reset the service message !
Anyway: TORNADOTRE : the display change button, not ingition start button.

Sorry but there is an other button that the ignition one to change display ?
Even though I don't have much experience with Benellis, I very much doubt that claim. After all, the same service message is a common feature in most modern bikes with lcd displays and the purpose of that message is just to remind about the scheduled service, nothing else. The trickery needed to reset it (usually one or two different buttons pressed for a given time) may vary between different dashboards and brands, but the functionality and logig are usually the same. The buttons and time intervals should be found in the owner's manual.

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
To reset the service reminder start the engine then hold the starter button in for 20 secs ...............you are now reset
vtxbrit

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yup... that actually sounds pretty counter-intuitive thing to do, and would nornally make one feel wary about the health of the sprang clutch or starter motor but, that's what the manual is telling. That is, the downloadable TnT manual right here in this forum. My command in Italian is not that strong, so feel free to correct possible flaws in translation. I did this search just to satisfy my own curiosity.

Questo dispositivo consente l’avviamento del motore con leva frizione schiacciata, se usato dopo 3 secondi dall’av-
viamento motore permette l’utilizzo delle funzioni sul display.
Which should read something like "This device will start the engine with the clutch lever engaged, if used after 3 seconds after the engine starts it allows the functions on the display."

Per azzerare la spia Service tenere premeuto il pulsante START per almeno dieci secondi fino allo spegnersi della
spia.
Roughly translated that would read "In order to reset the Service message press and hold the START button for at least ten seconds until the message clears itself from the dashboard."

That sounds just like in Aprilias, the only differerence is the button to be pressed and held for ten seconds, while engine off. I for one would feel a bit more comfortable with another button to push and hold...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes, it is extremely counterintuitive, but it is the starter button.

It took me awhile to gather up the nerve to try it.

I have the manual in English and I kept thinking it was a typo error.

Your starter motor won't engage while the motor is running

Good luck

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I'm also bothered about hitting the starter button to reset the trip when doing the ton in Lane 3 of the M25. I particularly don't like the fact that you can hear a large relay kick in when you do it, which suggests a lazy design

A quick look at the wiring diagram suggests that if I put a switch between pin 13 and 16 of the display connector, it should control the display and leave the starter to, well, starting. If anyone has already done this, I'd be interested, otherwise I'll be the guinea pig. Probably won't get around to it for a couple of weeks but will post the results.
Now where did I put that fire extinguisher?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
service reset worked thanks

Hi

I got it to reset in 10 (or so) seconds, but it only seemed to work once I was on the 'total miles and trip' mode of the speedo. By the way, as mentioned elsewhere, I have the upgraded starter, and that spins any time you have the clutch in, whether you're doing 80 or stationary, so remember to only change the functions with the clutch out. Yes, very lazy design.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi

You could try this.

Without the ignition on, hold down the button on the trip meter. When the service indicator appears with numbers underneath, switch on the ignition, still holding down the button. You may find this will remove it. It may not, but it is worth a go. At no point press the starter button.

Regards.

·
Registered
108 Posts
CorsicaStunt has a '07 TNT there is no trip button to hold down. It's all electronic. I was told it can only be done with the service tool for an '07 TNT.

Gary

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm losing the will to live....

I thought TNT clocks can only be amended by using the starter button, but making sure you only press it after the engine has started and a few seconds have elapsed otherwise you will hear the starter motor. The translation is a bit awry in the handbook, it suggests this should all take place by pressing the starter WITHIN three seconds - this is bad

Me thinks the service spanner symbol can be reset by using button depressions

and for Python fans

only press the button AFTER you've hung your coat on the lower peg, having done prep, written your letter home etc etc:rolling:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I just found this thread again after a year because my 04 TNT has just displayed the service icon.

For the record, my cunning plan of putting a push button on the dash connected to pins ? and ? (whichever ones I said in previous post) works like a charm.

Now to see if it also works for resetting the service light too.

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
I reset my 05 TNT on about 4 services, always had engine running and pushed starter button in for about 15 secs never any problem always reset spanner symbol.....also if you keep it in for about 25secs it allows you to choose Fahrenheit or centigrade, mph or kph, 12hr or 24hr clock
terry

·
442 Posts
Just had the 21,000k service done on my Nelli and the service spanner came up.pressed and held the starter button for 10 to 15 seconds and it went away.no prob's:D

·
Banned
572 Posts
also if you keep it in for about 25secs it allows you to choose Fahrenheit or centigrade, mph or kph, 12hr or 24hr clock
terry
Is there any way to set the time on the clock? I've never quite figured that out... :eek:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Most manufacturers use 2 buttons to set all these functions. Good ole Benelli thought that 1 would do (and to make the starter button double up is a particularly brilliant lunacy).

Attached is a text doc on how to set everything. Its a renamed ".txt" file because I wasn't allowed to upload a 24kB word doc!

If you can't open it, here's the Relevant bit

a) To move from “Total/Trip” to the “Chrono/Lap” press Start for more than 2s.
b) To move from “Chrono/Lap” to the “Clock/Trip” press Start for more than 2s (when the chronometer is switched off).
c) To return to “Total/Trip”, press Start for less than 2s.

3) Set “Clock/Trip”
To set the time, push START for at least two 2s. The first number should start flashing.
Hold START until you reach the correct number. Repeat for the second hour number, the first and the second minute numbers.
Press START for at least 3s to accept the setting.

·
Banned
572 Posts
Thanks a lot Pike! :bow:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
3) Set “Clock/Trip”
To set the time, push START for at least two 2s. The first number should start flashing.
Hold START until you reach the correct number. Repeat for the second hour number, the first and the second minute numbers.
Press START for at least 3s to accept the setting.
Set mine up ok, but went out on it next day and found it had advanced itself by 3.5 hours? :confused:

As a rule of thumb, is there a default start up on the clocks? as I had left mine showing both the time and trip mileage, however when I restart the bike, say after refuel or at the start of the day, it always shows the total mileage and the trip mileage :doh:

Also the trip mileage has a nasty habit of resetting itself when the bike is turned on, so mental maths is the order of the day to work out how far I can go before running out of petrol.....that said, after a refuel...the bloody:doh: :doh: trip meter refuse to reset for about 2 miles :mad: :rolling:

Italian electics eh :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts