Benelli Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
I did the same to my TNT and Tornado during pre-ride prep. The Tornado is easy, just a flip of the arm on the selector shaft. But check the clearance at the fairing like Errol says, can be close. The TNT requires the shaft to be "S" shaped.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mmmmm ... sorry ... can someone explain the benefits of 'reverse - shift' & is it worth doing ? What do you gain from it ?:confused:
Ta very much
Mark

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Mmmmm ... sorry ... can someone explain the benefits of 'reverse - shift' & is it worth doing ? What do you gain from it ?:confused:
Ta very much
Mark
I think the idea is that, in a racing situation, it is quicker to change up a gear by pressing the shifter peddle down than having to hook it up. Y'see, the old Brit bikes had something right, then along came the Japs and turned it upside down :rolling:
Downside is, you could be flat stick in 4th, forget you've changed the pattern, and 'upshift' into 3rd :doh: Thank heavens then for a slipper clutch :clap:
On the road, though, not much advantage, I wouldn't have thought.
I'm sure others will have a different view, though;)

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
When going through a left hand turn in racing with the narrower power bands the rider needs to hook the next gear. All he does is push down from third to fourth for example.
With the normal way round he will not get his foot under the lever to select the gear as it is so close to the ground. I have experienced this on my CR on the street.

Paul

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
When going through a left hand turn in racing with the narrower power bands the rider needs to hook the next gear. All he does is push down from third to fourth for example.
With the normal way round he will not get his foot under the lever to select the gear as it is so close to the ground. I have experienced this on my CR on the street.

Paul
Tut tut, Paul, I thought the speed limit in California was 55mph :rolling: . Dunno what you were up to on the street to get in that situation - with the fat torque spread of the CR you must have been in the wrong gear to start with, I reckon :doh: :D - only jokin' ;) .
I'll stick with my view that it's not much advantage on the road, esp. with our torquey Nellis, but, having said that, track day fiends may find it helpful :clap: . Except, that English tracks don't have enough left-handers to worry about - Mallory Park, Thruxton, Snetterton, Castle Coombe......:confused: :D

·
Registered
864 Posts
Reverse pattern is used in a racing situation as you are far less likely to miss an gear on the upshift if you are stepping on the pedal rather than hooking it up the way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All the above listed reasons are correct..in addition..when accelerating hard it is logical to want to be pushing down rathar than lifting up..better to have weight pressing down on your tires than lifting up your foot/leg. Only useful for the track imho..

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
T - with the fat torque spread of the CR you must have been in the wrong gear to start with, I reckon :doh: :D - only jokin'
I'll stick with my view that it's not much advantage on the road, esp. with our torquey Nellis, but, having said that, track day fiends may find it helpful :clap: . Except, that English tracks don't have enough left-handers to worry about - Mallory Park, Thruxton, Snetterton, Castle Coombe......:confused: :D
You are 100% right there. Wrong gear for the bend it was a hairpin180 on the mountain. I am still trying to learn the road. (remember which bend comes up next and how sharp it is.
I do not need GP style change though for the street, but would do it for the track.

Paul

·
Registered
136 Posts
Blimey .... you lot are full of knowledge re various biking bits ain't ya !!!! :clap:

Many thanks for all the replies re ' reverse shift ' .... they say you learn something new every day no matter how old you are ... how true they are ! :rolling:

Cheers all
Mark :)

·
5,934 Posts
Mate, I changed mine to reverse shift about 2 years ago. Only now is it becoming instinctive. When under pressure, I found myself going the wrong way, realising my error as I started to engage the clutch, then re-selecting.

Of course, I'm an old dog. Learning a new trick took me a while.

I changed it because I've been in left handers, unable to power out because I needed the next gear, but couldn't get my toe between the road & the lever. (You don't have the same problem entering a left hander, with reverse shift, because you select the lower gear before you tip in.)

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I think it's a lot to do with how, and where, we ride. For a rider who does a lot of mixed urban/town/country riding, I think that the standard 'up for up' pattern is better. I can't imagine that pretty well every motorcycle manufacturer over the last 35 years has got this wrong. However, for those fortunate enough to have lots of big open roads to ride, and, as has previously been said, for trackdays, the reverse shift is probably better.
So, in answer to the questions, 'what are the benefits? - is it worth doing? - what do you gain from it? -, I guess you have to evaluate your own riding and make your own judgment based on that, and what has been said previously, given that we all have different circumstances.
Cheers.
Ian

·
Registered
254 Posts
Mate, I changed mine to reverse shift about 2 years ago. Only now is it becoming instinctive. When under pressure, I found myself going the wrong way, realising my error as I started to engage the clutch, then re-selecting.

Of course, I'm an old dog. Learning a new trick took me a while.

I changed it because I've been in left handers, unable to power out because I needed the next gear, but couldn't get my toe between the road & the lever. (You don't have the same problem entering a left hander, with reverse shift, because you select the lower gear before you tip in.)
Everything I've owned since 1983 has been set up for reverse shifting. It comes from 5 years of racing. I have the opposite problem you have Errol. I have to think when I ride someone elses bike. People have been shifting that way(Racing) since the 60's. Back in the day of no ground clearance, it was essential. Today, they replaced the no ground clearance problem with extreme lean angles. If I remember right, Kevin Schwantz is the ONLY rider to win a world championship with the standard girly street shift patern:bow:
The bottom line is, use what works for you. There are far fewer missed upshifts even on the street pushing down to select the next gear though. The reality is, we shouldn't be riding that hard on the street to NEED the reverse shifting, but if thats what you like or are used to, use it. It's strange, but when I ride my four wheeler or a dirtbike, I instinctively shift in the standard pattern.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts