Benelli Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone interested in a kit to convert to a GP style shift pattern? My friend David who just got his Tornado is a long-time racer and he always uses GP shift, so he's set his up this way and was wondering if there's enough interest for him to make a kit available.

mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you dont mind me asking why do people use the 'GP' style race shift? I cant figure out why someone would want to shift up to go down a gear and vice versa. I've thought possibly for very slightly quicker gear changes going up the gears but thats it. I know Nial McKenzie, John Reynolds etc etc run the normal road setup as they came from a offroad/moto-cross background.

Excuse the ignorance im just more curious

Dean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know that some racers Deano like to use the GP method of shifting as it makes it easier for them to put the bike up into a higher gear when they're hanging off the thing. This is normally the case when they're going around big right hand turns. If I had that style of shifting method on my bike then I'd be screwed:eek I'd be up and down that gearbox like a fiddlers elbow trying to find the right gear:lol

Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All pro roadracers in the US use GP shift, and a large number of club racers like myself use it as well. Common reasons are:

1. It's much faster when you're blasting down a straight
while in a full tuck to just bang down with the toe for
your upshifts
2. Many times you're leaned over in a left-hand turn when
you need to upshift.

At one of the tracks I race, there is one particular turn where you're going balls-out right where you need to shift from 5th to 6th. When I go through there, my knee is on the pavement, and I can't get my toe under the shifter. So without GP shift, I'd have to short-shift right before I lean into that turn, losing some of my power.

Just my $.02 worth....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually felt the need to do reverse pattern during my last few mx moto. I've installed thumb operated rear brake half a year back... and especially during a right turn, with the clutch pull thumb push down shift, I was thinking a reverse pattern would work better bodyenglish-wise. And yes, it'd be much faster to upshift stomping down with a big ass mx boot.

question, couldn't you just re connect the linkage to above the rod to reverse the pattern?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Everyone.

It's all Mark and Toby's fault, that I own a Tornado.:D

I've been riding and racing with a reverse shift pattern (GP Shift) since 1994. The first thing I did with my new bike was spend a 1/2 hour changing things over to be able to use a reverse shift pattern. Below are pictures of what I have done so far.

The stock shift rod is threaded the same on both ends so to adjust the angle of the shift lever you have to disconnect one end to spin the heim joint rod end in or out to achieve the desired lever angle. Cheap alternative to manufacturing it the right way, which is with one end having a reverse thread in the rod and using a reverse thread heim joint rod end. With what I have done, I can adjust the shift lever angle by just rotating the rod between my fingers and then tightening the lock nuts up. Real simple and it only takes a few moments to do.

So what I have done is dug through all of my race spares to come up with something that works for now. I used a stainless steel rod with one end having reverse threads, two heim joint rod ends with lock nuts, and a button head screw to mount the one heim joint rod end onto the transmission shift shaft arm. The smaller diameter stainless steel shift rod just barely clears the rearset bracket at the mount bolt location. By using the button head screw, it just barely clears the bodywork when the transmission shift shaft lever is moved back and forth.

This is my quick fix for the moment. I intend to come up with a better set-up in the future. I am hoping to come up with a complete kit that compensates for manufacturing tolerances so anyone can change over to the reverse shift pattern.

Enjoy the pics.

hometown.aol.com/calducat...lli/R1.JPG
hometown.aol.com/calducat...lli/R2.JPG
hometown.aol.com/calducat...lli/R3.JPG

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Reverse shift

85GSXR, thanks heaps. I've stolen this and put it on my website for posterity. I'll start playing in a week or 2.
Cheers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts