Benelli Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being only 5ft 8 with short 30" legs I find my Tornado seat height is to tall for complete comfort when manoeuvring the bike. Reducing the spring pre-load does nothing other than upset the handling. I am thinking about machining up some new shorter link arm to drop the rear suspension, I think from memory they are 150mm between centres hence I was going to make new ones 2 or 3 mm shorter.

Has anyone got any experience in doing this? Be grateful of any help or better still is there anyone selling such items?

Paul

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
I know there was a lass on here (I saw the bike being sold somewhere recently) who had the bike lowered but not sure how or where, somewhere up north I believe, perhahaps someone else can remember ?

I'm about 5'9" and sometimes struggled if I stopped where there was ever a dip or camber in the road !

I would imagine it would change the handling of the bike though ?

either way I hope you get sorted !

p.s. Of course my recent purchase of a Zephyr 550 means I can touch the floor now with my knees whilst the bikes stood up ! :rolleyes:

:rolling:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi mate I'm more or less the same height and inside leg as you and I also own a tornado and I understand fully what your experiencing,it is difficult for us shorties handling the tornado in certain situations like uturns or stopping at a junction on a steep hill to name but a few.But I think you just need to find ways to deal with those situations when I come to a stop I just slide one cheek off the saddle and get my foot down asap it just needs Little bit more planning and I never try and paddle the bike back I just get off and push the thing back and it's the same if you find yourself in a tight spot and you need to do a uturn I just get off and push it around,I know it's going to make you feel like a t*at but much better that,than being a t*at and dropping your bike:bawl:but above all try not to get hung up about it or It's going to make you more nervy and your much more likely to have a mini disaster :doh:

Kenny

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a set off shortened links and I did try them but it made the bike feel all wrong and it looked like it was going to fall of its stand. I believe they were a proper part. If I can find where they are I could give you the dimensions.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Max that would be a great help, how much did it reduce the height by? Guess I will have to shorten the side stand to prevent it falling over.

What ever it drops the rear down by I was going to drop the forks by the same amount to keep it the same overal.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that sounds good Max, just had a look on the link is stamped 136 looks like this refers to the link length. Max it would be a great help if you can measure your links.

·
5,934 Posts
Reducing the spring pre-load does nothing other than upset the handling.
True, you've got to drop the forks through as well to balance it up. I went a little further with mine, to sharpen it even more. It turns in quicker than the standard setup.
Being shorter, you're probably lighter as well, which means that your ride height is probably too high anyway.
You'll have to modify the side-stand angle so that it doesn't fall over.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
lowering tornado

Hi Paul, regards lowering the bike, we had my wifes Fazer lowered a few years back. We bought the kit over the phone from down south. The kit had two link arms for the rear shock and two small metal plates that had to welded to the side stand, as you had to cut 25mm of the lenght of it. I dont know how the Nellie stand would cope. I will try and find the intructions to get the name of the company. Gnome( 20 miles past the end of the earth)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi paul
i had the same problem with my treK, i made new link arms 5mm longer than the standard 136mm and it dropped the ride height by 25mm, then lowered forks through yolks by same amount,there is a thread about it in the treK section by lubmat.
simon

·
Registered
131 Posts
Right just measured mine, standard approx 135 mm center to center, the ones for lowering are approx 145mm center to center. Its taken me all day to find them :)
I still think the bike doesnt look right or feel right when ridden with them though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the info, I will have a go at machining some new longer links based on your info of 145mm and 136+5mm I will start with 142mm and go from there.

The bigger issue at the moment is sorting out the over heating problem, see my other post, steaming.

Thanks again

1 - 15 of 15 Posts