Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Fyule
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I'm new to the forum, but it seems great, loads of useful hints and tips. I'm currently looking at an RS, this would not just be my first Tornado, but my first Benelli full stop. Do they all tend to sound like a bag of spanners when stone cold? I remember the road tests in Bike etc saying they were a bit rough, it doesn't seem to have a noisy clutch though, just general mechanincal noise.

I'm looking to trade up from a Ducati 748 and simply will not entertain a sportsbike from outside Italy, I think you'll all understand this!! How is the parts situation on Benelli these days, has the Chinese input helped? Any advice welcomed, I'm keen to get the bike but not if I'm making a potential mistake.

regards, Fraser

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Hi fraser, you will not look back buying a Benelli of any variety. I started with a normal Tre in green/silver and now have a red RS . engine can sound mechanically busy (noisy) but once revved it transforms into a wonderful noise . Must say if you buy a Benelli and its private at some time get it given the once over by Bennetts of Barnsley (russ) as it'll be money well spent .The RS i believe had a smaller range of issues than the Tre but whatever you buy you wont regret and it'll make a change from just a ducati !. best thing to do is get a look at a couple of RS's and Tre's to compare . Check on here for more assistance as its the best place to get advice/tips etc .:)

·
Bald tattooed member
1,257 Posts
hi fraser, get an rs bought you wont regret it i've got a new one had it just over 2 months & i love it!!!!!!!:ele: :ele:
i know what you mean about it been noisey on tick over it seemed strange at first coming off a quiet gixxer but now i don't even notice it when i'm stationary & now i've put a race can on it sound awsome when you give it a twist off the right hand
the only problem i've had is my clocks reset themselves now & again but russ @ bennets is sorting it me out under warranty :bow: :bow:
& i've not been on this forum that long but what i've read on here so far all the people seem like great guy's & really helpfull too :clap: :clap: :clap:

ade

·
president
1,009 Posts
hi fraser............yes they do sound like a bag of spanners...........which is handy..........as to own a benelli........you need a few screws loose.......but thats the way we like it.......:) :) :)

p.s you will never ever come across a nicer set of people as those on here:clap: :bow: :bow:

·
1,231 Posts
Rs

I vote for the LE...all the tasty carbon bits you can handle thrown in with a smattering of magnesium and titanium to taste....ummmm, ummm...you odnt' get better than that.

Of course, I could be a slight bit biased as I have owned, and still own one.

:clap:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Welcome, Fraser. I just rode my bag of spanners, an '06 green and silver Tre, up the motorway and back this morning just for the hell of it. 225 miles in 3 hours, including two fill-ups and a pee (yes, they are a bit thirsty:D ). Actually it was a practice for the '2009 Highland Fling' in May, to see what she is like in touring mode. Very capable and even reasonably comfortable she is, too. But wait 'til you get her on the twisties:clap: Go and buy one, heed Angus's words about getting her checked over, and you won't look back.

cheers:D
Ian

·
1,841 Posts
Hi Fraser, I bought my RS new and it sounded like a bag of nails when it had 1 mile on the clock. One reason I went for the RS was I heard it did not have clutch problems like the TRE. The TRE problem was known as failure of the middle gear and updated ones and RS models have a wider middle gear.
The clutch on my RS had a different fault in that the shock absorber springs were loose and wore out some of the housing and caused increasing vibration. I had a new clutch under warrenty at about 5000 miles and my engine is definatly Quieter than it was when new,but is still noisy compared to jap bikes etc..
My advice if buying is ask if clutch has been changed,if not ask for clutch to be stripped and inspected,if you shake it and it sounds like a pair of castanets its knackered.Or ask for price of a new clutch to be Knocked off.
I am not sure if all RS clutches will fail,but I know of several that have.
Colin.
ps read Engenias web page for good info.

·
1,841 Posts
Actually ther are 3 pairs of different rate springs, so I should have said....
If it sounds like an orchestra of castenets its knackered !:rolling: :rolling:
Happy Xmas Sharkey,you crack me up !!!!!!!:clap:

·
Fyule
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi All

Thanks for the replies, Guess I'll be buying a Benelli then, I know I've got some screws loose, I know this from the Guzzi I've just restored! Best wait for the bike shop to open, I'll keep you posted though.

Cheers, Fraser

·
Fyule
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The RS is mine!

Well, I did it, I saw the nice man at the bike shop who took some money and my 748, but gave me a nice shiny RS in return. :D :D :D

Should be delivered this week, SORNED at the moment, so will wait for slightly better conditions before taking out for a decent run, don't want the salty roads here nibbling away at her. Is there anyone near the scottish borders who's out regularly?

Happy new year to all when it comes.

cheers, Fraser

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase Fraser. Nice one matey.:clap: Where are you getting her from?

I sometimes have a wee run down the 701 to Moffat then up road that takes you past the Grey mare's tail and then on past St. Mary's loch......... but not until the weather improves a bit. :bawl:

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hi Fraser

Congrats on the new bike!
Im out regularly in the Borders on my bike. Mike (GrayVTWIN) also lives in East Lothian.
All in all in all there are a few Benelli's in and around the Borders!
Cheers
Neil

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hi Fraser,

so, it was you who bought the beautiful bike from Ian?

I already booked my flight from germany to Edinburgh to buy the bike... Unfortunately, obviously you were quicker than me.

Be assured that I am so jealous.

So, I have to continue my search for a red RS with Marchesinis in a good condition.

·
1,841 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase of the RS, did they give you confirmation the clutch etc is good ? While you are unable to ride (due to cold) if you are bored it may be worth checking the engine mounts are tight (lots are loose).
Remember to read Errols (Engenia) website.
colin..

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Congratulations in getting what has to be one of the best bikes undiscovered by so many (lucky us) the Tornado ticks all the boxes for me and i'm happy to put up with its foibles - look forward to seeing you on your bike (guess it came from those two available in Edinburgh (yellow one still available for that chap in germany ?). Guess theres going to be some polishing going on in your garage :) .

·
Fyule
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi All

Thanks for the messages, I'm really chuffed with the bike. Hang Loose, er sorry, yes it was me who was in at Ian Murray's bike shop actually writing out the cheque when you called from Germany, are you sure you don't want to entertain a yellow one? Ian will be getting this one into the shop in a couple of weeks.

I live just off the A701 in Lochmaben, anyone out for a run, please feel free to drop in, our house always seems to have a biker or 2 popping in. I'll try getting out on the RS when the weather gets better really don't want to take it out in all the salt.

And yes there will be alot of polishing going on when the bike arrives, just spent the morning polishing the poor wee 748 for Ian collecting it, just waiting for the phone call!

As for the clutch I'm assured it's fine and the bike has all the mods required. I trust Ian Murray as I've known him since uni days - he's one of the best guys selling bikes today. He's also got a nice TNT 1130 in the shop, not my kettle of fish but if anyone is looking for one, it's well worth a look.

Hope to see you all out in the borders at some point soon.

Cheers, Fraser

1 - 20 of 20 Posts