Benelli Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hate to be the harbinger of doom, fellas, but there's 2 issues with our Tornados that can kind of wreck your day. We've talked about them at length here, but I might just add some little points that may have been assumed, for no good reason.

1. The clutch basket. If you have an 8mm intermediate gear, you've got no problem. The original (6mm, I think) were too weak.

The common belief, is that all RS 900's, were upgraded at the factory, before they ever left it. Has anybody any proof of this? I certainly haven't. It's just been hearsay.

It may be that some have been upgraded, but, a word to the wise? Don't believe anyone, unless you've seen it for yourself, or can trust the mechanic who has seen it for himself, on your bike.

2. Starter drive shaft. You've all seen the pictures of the 1130's which have broken this shaft. The break happens at the weakest point - the transverse oil holes in the middle. The 1130 has higher compression, and needs to transmit more torque through it, than a 900. Hence, the problem showed up sooner on the 1130. But it's the same original shaft on both engines. There is absolutely NO reason why that shaft won't eventually break on a 900.

Now that I've put the fear of God into you, I'm going to order an upgraded shaft and leave it on my shelf. If I ever need it, it'll be on hand ...... not 3 months away.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
For maximum effect you should have posted this a couple of days ago on
FRIDAY the 13th....
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Dont just buy it until it goes :doh: :doh: think about the damage mine caused when it went. Take a look in my album for the proof if you dont believe me.
Buy it and fit it.
Dave

·
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dont just buy it until it goes :doh: :doh: think about the damage mine caused when it went. Take a look in my album for the proof if you dont believe me.
Buy it and fit it.
Good point Dave. You've convinced me.

By the way, did yours break at startup?

·
Registered
736 Posts
I wasn`t so lucky BUT on the other hand I was very lucky.
I was hooning down a road chasing down to boys after being held up behind a car and it went whilst I was averaging 100mph:doh:
When I pulled up at the next junction I heard a death rattle from the engine and killed it instantly. From the damage inside I was very lucky it didn`t lock up, now that would`ve been nasty.
Someone was looking down on me that day :bow: :bow: :bow:

·
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very strange. I would have thought it would break when you started it, not when it's running. Maybe the crack was getting worse every time you started up, and you were unlucky that it hung on for just that bit more.

I'd love to see the pieces. They would tell the story!

·
3,085 Posts
how much Errol

Ive just paid for a new gasket to have my RS basket inspected, but i may fit the uprated shaft at next major service :)

·
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive just paid for a new gasket to have my RS basket inspected, but i may fit the uprated shaft at next major service :)
Part number for the shaft & Z25 kit is apparently R300000081000.
I haven't got any prices yet.

When I get one, it won't be sitting on the shelf. Having seen Dave's pics, I'll be installing it asap.

To inspect the clutch basket, it will surely have to come off. You're 1/2 way there, so why not install the shaft then? As far as I can tell, the only other part to be removed is the alternator. Looks like the gearbox stays put.

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Part number for the shaft & Z25 kit is apparently R300000081000.
I haven't got any prices yet.
The price from an official Benelli dealer to supply the kit should be around £90/£100 Errol.

·
1,841 Posts
Sorry to but in, but Mr Benellidave was your broken shaft fitted with the smaller bolt that holds the alternator drive dog on ? or did tit have the 10mm large bolt ?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Hi
Ive bought a 2004 TNT 1130 would this problem apply or am i safe???????
Colin (northern Ireland)

You need to check with Benelli or the dealer that serviced the bike to find out if it has been done or not.
I must stress that NOT ALL 04 bikes will have this problem BUT they may well so it`s worth changing the shaft just in case. If this shaft fails at speed it will be a new engine (bits of metal getting pumped round the engine will be terminal!!) and it could well do some serious damage to the rider.
Along with the alternator shaft have you had the fan upgrade.
You will know if the fans are in pods on the outside of the rads. this is the mod. If not speak to a dealer or Benelli UK and you can do it yourself.

Colin, sorry I can`t remember but i`m sure Rusty will remember.
I`ve not heard of this on the tornado`s but it nay well be worth doing for the cost of the parts.

·
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I`ve not heard of this on the tornado`s but it may well be worth doing for the cost of the parts.
I have!
Best not said from where, but 900's are NOT immune.
Stands to reason really. If the part's weak on an 1130, it'll be weak on a 900 as well. It's only the lower compression that's reduced the incidence ... so far .....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts