Benelli Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally have my RS back from the importer ! Only trouble is that the run fault still exists. Still it only took 6 weeks
My screen and seat with cosmetic faults have been replaced after only 17 weeks. Oh and i think they have changed my water pump.
Now for the good news......when i went for a ride today i remembered why i am willing to put up with some grief, apart from being the best looking bike i have ever owned,there is something about the benelli that makes you feel good when you ride it,the handling,the brakes,the growl, if you have ridden one you know what i mean!!:b
I will eventually sort the run problem and i will let people know what it is when i sort it...8o

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: colinnotornado no more

colin,
glad to here you got your pride and joy back......who replaced your screen and seat ...was it kjm or taz ??????? hope we can meet up soon so our rs's can get aquainted again.......nearly choked on my bagel when reading the letters in this weeks MCN that someone thought TAZ were 1st class and customers could expect 5 star treatment......mind you it was signed Chez.....what do you think.....still waiting for my screen and switch gear....but not quite 17 weeks yet.
What do you intend to do about your running problem........maybe a trip to mitch at red dog or dave at aye gee in welling.......at least they have the right equipment and should be able to sort out your problem........good luck...hope to see you soon.....maybe you could fit that sidecar for lloyd now:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: colinnotornado no more

Hi johnny and sharky, the run fault is actually noticed in 3 different ways, 1) after you shut the throttle as the revs fall when it drops to 2800rpm the engine fires back in, almost as if you had turned the ignition off then on again at 2800rpm.
It actually surges as if the throttle has opened on its own.
2) when you are riding fast up to a tight bend as you blip the throttle to change down there is a delay. I sort of adapted to this but when lloyd rode mine he found it bad.
3)When i stop with the clutch in but in gear the engine holds at 2200rpm if you put the bike into neutral the revs drop to normal idle 1350rpm. if you then put back in gear it will stay at 1350 until you open the throttle then it will stay at 2200rpm until you put it back in neutral... note... it is not sticking cables.

The importer told me the tps and stepper settings were wrong but after adjusting, it was still wrong, then they said they changed parts, dont know what parts, then they spoke to head tech man in italy, then sent back to me but dont tell me any more just let me think they have done it . They seem to have givern up ! It is wierd, but there must be a reason !!
I am considering a few options, the owner of ayegee motorcycles (L E) owner, or red dog. Also I am talking to a triumph biker who is interested in the fault (same ecu on some triumphs)
Taz changed screen and seat on saturday.
any comments greatly appriciated.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rough running

I'd put my money on it needing synchronization of the butterflies.

A quick way of telling if the butterflies need adjustment is to look at the exhaust header pipes when reving the bike in neutral at night. A butterfly that is open more than another will run leaner (all injectors supply the same amount of fuel) and hotter so the header will glow more.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Rough running

Thanks johnny, i will do your test when i get time.
Before I took my bike back to the supplier I had a look at the bodies.Number one butterfly was open slightly with the bypass screw completly shut, number 2 butterfly was open a bit less and the bypass open 2 turns and number 3 looked shut and the bypass was open 3 turns. This to me looks like the butterflys were not set equally, but the vac was probably balanced at idle going by the settings of the bypass screws.
I get different opinions as to where the butterflys should be with the throttle shut.
Should they be completely shut ? , or should they be open slightly ? Obviously they should all be equal. I suppose i could set 2 and 3 to match 1 then balance the vac with the bypasses. but if i move no1 i would have to reset the tps
so i would need an axone or tuneboy.
I will look at the bodies now i have it back and see if they have altered them from how they were.
Your answer to the where the butterflies should be will help if i do set them myself.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Colin, another way you can check the synchronisation is to listen to each trumpet in turn. Use some plastic hose like a stethoscope, 1 end in your ear, the other at the edge of a trumpet. If they're synchronised the loudness of the air rushing past will be the same.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Yes Engenia, i wonder if somone will come up with a computer program where you can use a microphone reading the sound waves? I think it could be possible and easier than vac gauges.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RS COMES HOME,BUT IT WIILL HAVE TO GO BACK !

I have just found a serious fault on my RS I would advise every one to have a look at the rear damper unit.
The ring nut that appears to locate the seal holder to the cartridge has fell off,and is floating on top of the rubber stop !
I would guess that if I had not noticed it, it may have resulted in oil squirted over the rear tyre !

CLICK HERE TO SEE MY DAMPER

1 - 9 of 9 Posts