Benelli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi got my rs a few months ago so not had chance to ride it much yet. but got a problem with engine cutting out when clutch in changing down 2nd-1st. also if left to idle it will cut out or slowly peta out after a while!
been in touch with KJM who think it is a stepper motor problem. waiting for a fix from factory.

has anyone else got this problem ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
mine too

only the cut out when downchanging from 2 to 1st and releasing the clutch, sometimes it cuts out with a closed throttle, keep me posted on your progress

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
same problem

I just went out for my first ride and it cut out in town twice in one mile - same parameters: 2 to 1 with the clutch in. I calle dKJM and they gave me the same poop. I think i am goin to put a few miles on then take it in for a service oil change and get it sorted then. Got a woppin 9 miles on the LE now and 128 on the biposto.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cutting out

Sorry guy's, 90% of Tornado's & TnT's do it, I am working on it, you just gotta put up with it for now.

I open the 'stepper' (done with the Axone tool) in the Tornado to raise the idle a touch to reduce the cutting out.

The TnT's are about to receive a new fuel map and an idle adjust cable so the idle rpm can be adjusted manually.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: cutting out

I had a TLR that used to do the same thing occassionally. I'm no techical bod but it seemed to occur when the fuel was low and I was braking hard. On blipping the throttle on downchanges the thing would misfire and scare the crap from me !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hi Johnny O,
I agree that the Benelli maps need sorting, but interestingly during my recent modifications to the TNT I noticed that the air sensor was positioned in the corner of the air box just above the cyl head. now I think I’m right in saying these sensors are thermistors which work on temp differential.... the faster the air moves across the sensor the colder it gets, there by giving a variable signal to the ECU this signal as well as the throttle sensor controls fuel management. The problem is when the bike is moving slowly or is stationary the sensor is heated rapidly by the glowing power house (the engine) just below it therefore fooling the management system into immediately modifying the fuel/air mix (incorrectly)……………I have repositioned and shielded my sensor to see if this theory is right will let you know the results.
Vtxbrit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cutting out

I think you are partly right in your explanation of the airbox sensor but I don't see it being heated by the engine, none of the sensor read-outs on the Axone tool show it, even after over heating the engine in the workshop without any air circulation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Johhny O,

This has been happening to me since yesterday,

Happened twice this morning on the way to work and then refused to start for a while.

Battery is fully charged as I had it on trickle charger overnight.

Do you reckon it could be the cold weather again?

Now hoping that she strats up so I can get home from work this arvo:rolleyes

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cutting out

I was going to add 100rpm to all my idle settings and cold start settings via the tuneboy software to she how this went and fettle her from their. sadly uni got in the way yet again, wil try over easter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Interesting theory about the ais sensor, had the same problem with my hayabusa which turned out to be a standard mod to move the air intake sensor to the ram air tube to stop it getting false readings from getting heated by the engine..
It tended to be more after a small run when you had the engine turned off for an hour though.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
air sensor

Hmmmmm (scratches head), you may be on to something guys, I was having a problem with my TnT race bike in the garage last night, the Axone was showing the air temp (via the bikes airbox sensor) at 50 degrees C when it was only 20 degrees C in the workshop, the bike was hesitating & mis-firing like it was lean.

If the on-board computer thinks that it is a hot day, it will lean out the mixture BUT funny enough, the CO exhaust analyzer that I had connected did not show it to be lean. I'll keep searching.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
air temp sensor

Ok, today I'll move the airbox air temp sensor away from the engine and see what happens...... stay tuned

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
misfire

Okay vtxbrit, I think you have steered me down the right path, I repositioned the air sensor (well I just hung it out the front of the bike for the purpose of the test), my misfiring stopped, I played around with the Axone and leaned out the mixture and could induce the previous misfire.

As I said earlier, if the air sensor is getting warm (or the air around it), the ECU will lean out the mixture because it thinks it is a hot day, I guess this phenomena would be more extreme on a cold day?

At low rpm, the lean spit-back through an intake port would be enough to stall the engine.

I think I will mount the sensor in the front fairing, the temperature of the air in there would be much more exemplary of the air being inducted.... I think only for Australia though as we rarely get temperatures under 10 C degrees.

I think for the Tornado, you could mount the air sensor in either the airbox or radiator intake ducting but make a sheild so that incoming debris doesn't damage it.

It's still early days yet, I'll do more testing this weekend, I will also send my thoughts to the factory to see what they think.

I think this cutting-out problem that we (Tornado & TnT owners) have all been enduring could be over?..... stay tuned!

(Don't know if you can tell, but I'm a little excited about this)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: misfire

It is getting a tad cold in the Blue Mountains, NSW Australia (Johnny O you haven't been around here in winter when it is 2-3 degrees, must be less for Engenia) and the bike has been refusing to start after a short ride as in when you pull up at a service station to refuel or check tyre pressure etc. I was thinking that it may be the battery but it looks like it could be said "Air Sensor" recording a false read and then the battery inflicting its own vengence on me;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: misfire

JohnnyO - Canberra was 6C this morning when I wheeled the bike out. It'll be below 0 in a month or so! In July it's not uncommon to have a max below 10C.

The guys in Cooma & Jindabyne will be a little cooler.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oz temps

Ha! you suckers :eek

Better keep your air sensors in the cool draft to get the correct readings then ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: air temp sensor

Johnny 0,
See my TNT topic first ride since mods, very very happy it seems all the starting and low end fuelling problems have almost gone I am getting it on the dyno next week then I have one more theory concerning the ignition set up and the way the stock ECU interprets information (or not as the case maybe).
Hey, how much do we charge Benelli for R&D work???:lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: air temp sensor

Hey guys,

I've been battling this issue since I got my bike and I've learned a few things that I thought I'd share.

This past weekend, I rode about 350 miles.

RIDE 1:
Saturday, 85 degrees, twisties, zero cut-outs

RIDE 2:
Sunday, 85 degrees, twisties, 12+ cut-outs

This makes me think that it wasn't the temperature sensor at all.

Also, once it happened when I was in 4th gear getting off the freeway. All I did was pull in the clutch and it died. I hadn't even downshifted yet. However, most of the time is from 2nd to 1st.

I started pulling in the clutch only 1/2 way to downshift and that seems to help. I have a hydrolic clutch from Evoluzione and I'm going to have it installed later this week to try to see if that helps the issue.

Anyway, I love the bike, but I need to live to ride it. Let's fix this deal.

-BULL

1 - 20 of 35 Posts