Benelli Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
ENGLAND FOREVER
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DO ANY OF YOU LOVELY FOLKS KNOW WHAT THE FACTORY SUSPENSION SETTINGS SHOULD BE FOR AN 04 RS, I HAVE NOTICED THAT EACH FORK LEG IS DIFFERANT ON MY BIKE SO I GET THE IMPRESSION THAT THE PREVIOUS OWNER HAS HAD A PLAY WITH THE SETTINGS :confused:

·
1,841 Posts
The front forks are 1.5 out from shut for comp and rebound.with preload set at 7 back from max.
the rear settings are... 7 open from closed on rebound and 6 back from closed for compression and 6 for the highspeed compression also.
The manual does contradict itself as it also gives 11 (from 7) and 8 (from6) for the reboun and lowspeed comp.
On the subject of suspension look at the rear damper as my bike had the nut securing the seal come loose !
This info is from the workshop manual.
Colin.
PS the standard setting for the rear preload is with a spring length of 141 mm,when i got my bike and others I have seen it was wound right in. This resultsin the seat height being very high. If you set the preload standard and you just want the ride height higher the damper is also adjustable for ride height.

·
ENGLAND FOREVER
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers

The front forks are 1.5 out from shut for comp and rebound.with preload set at 7 back from max.
the rear settings are... 7 open from closed on rebound and 6 back from closed for compression and 6 for the highspeed compression also.
The manual does contradict itself as it also gives 11 (from 7) and 8 (from6) for the reboun and lowspeed comp.
On the subject of suspension look at the rear damper as my bike had the nut securing the seal come loose !
This info is from the workshop manual.
Colin.
PS the standard setting for the rear preload is with a spring length of 141 mm,when i got my bike and others I have seen it was wound right in. This resultsin the seat height being very high. If you set the preload standard and you just want the ride height higher the damper is also adjustable for ride height.
THANKS FOR THE INFO MATE, YOUR ARE THE DADDY !!!!!:bow:

·
Registered
404 Posts
More Advice Please

Hi Mr Colin Tornado

can I ask what weight you are and if you know how much adjustment you should make depending on Weight

By the way I weigh 17st in the buff :doh:

Cheers
Dave

·
1,841 Posts
Hi Dave, i weigh about 15st, i cant remember what the length of my spring was to start (that is with the rear wheel with no weight on it) but it was tightened more than the spec in manual probably about 130mm. I loosened it only a bit, I think it is still less than 141mm. A small movement made quite a difference to the initial sag,ie it drops more as weight put on it and it feels softer on first bit of movement.It felt very hard before. There are methods for setting sag, but the more you go into it the more complex it can get!,try google ? Remember though the public road conditions vary so it will always be a compromise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts