Benelli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my new RS from KJM (top blokes too... if they carry on as they are I'm sure they'll make a success of Benelli)... and I have to stick to 70mph/4000rpm till the first service... ouch!.... first impressions are good tho.. love the mechanical rattle the thing makes on tickover... and the induction noise is pretty sexy too... just need to get the mileage in... (Aren't Dunlops slippery when new :rolleyes )

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The running it in is the hardest part as you just want to gun it and go. But we all know what will end up happening if you do that. Just take it nice and easy bro and you'll be fine. I'll hopefully be picking my tre up from KJM at the weekend but I'll have to see what happens:D
Oh before I forget .... welcome to the club buddy:hat

Al8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The running it in is the hardest part as you just want to gun it and go. But we all know what will end up happening if you do that. Just take it nice and easy bro and you'll be fine. I'll hopefully be picking my tre up from KJM at the weekend but I'll have to see what happens:D
Oh before I forget .... welcome to the club buddy:hat

Al8)

I also wouldn't be suprised if KJM manages to get Benelli off the ground here after all the bad press they've had (Benelli not KJM:D ). They really do look after you ..... which is nice:lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Indeed mate.. they are excellent..! I work in the trade and so get to see the worst of it too... was a totally professional handover from start to finish..

Thanks for the welcome.. Im glad to be amongst you.. I did a lot of reading (lurking I suppose) of this forum before I decided to purchase.. so I owe it all to you guys!.. lol.. good job I don't know where any of you live for when it all goes pear-shaped.. !!..

I'm a V-Raptor owner so I'm prepared for the perils of owning an Italian bike.. but I'd still rather experience the highs and lows than the tedium of zzzzzzonda!..

Course I won't be saying this when the bloody thing won's start.. and as for trying to find neutral... hmmmmm :)

Do you guys get out for rideouts?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't baby it! (despite what Benelli says)

There has been heaps of discussion on this. There is also a website dedicated to running in bikes. The upshot though - if you treat it like a baby, you'll end up with a slow one. If you rev it over the full range (perhaps not constantly flat out!), the rings will bed in properly, the compression will be maximised, and you'll have a quick bike.

Have a look at past posts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Running in

Read the link above, I did it like this....only downside is the chain stretched. 10 mins of tinkering sorted it out again though.

If you read the manual it says that you should keep it

under 5000 for first 312 miles
under 7500 until 1st service (about 600 miles)
under 10500 until 1500 miles

This is from memory so actual figures maybe slightly different

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Running in

300 Miles.. mostly in the rain.. only once has it cut out when coasting up to a set of lights trying to find neutral!...

Really impressed with how sure-footed it feels.. obv cos its been wet not really had much chance to play but went really well over the Snake pass in horrible conditions and even though it was a bit squirmy it all felt in control (D208's... seem ok)...

Spose I'd best go and clean it :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Spose I'd best go and clean it :)
Yup:D Last thing you want is a filthy tre on the go:b You've certainly put in a few miles since your last post so it won't be long before your taking it in for it's first service. Better get those pennies saved up starting now:lol
How do you find the bike overall and can you find neutral from a stand still?

Al8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Hi all,

As you probably know, did I get a new engine. I choose to run it in the "hard" way. So i drive the engine till it's warm with max 4000 rpm. Then drive it "normally" with max 8000 rpm. After 600 km I changed the oil & filter.
Till now NO problem at all:D The performance is outstanding in compare with the old engine. I even can found my neutral without any problem:rollin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Excellent Saloe its good to hear your finally gettin things sorted. I take you've found running in the bike this way OK? I've always been a bit dubious but it does kinda make sense. I may have sourced a very new (less than 200 miles) RS engine. Ive been told its a straight swap and at the right sort of money Id be mad not too...watch this space

Dean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Hmm.. can I find neutral.. nope.. never ever.. only with the engine off.. then it pops in as sweet as... can do it coasting up to a set of lights for instance but have misjudged a few stop whilst fixated with the neutral light... So Im developing a very strong left hand ;)

Also seems that they take a while to warm up and until warm they dont really respond properly.. also had a few bangs against the tank from cold trying to find a throttle response that wasn't there.. now I start it first then put on my gear... !

but.. that induction noise... oh my god.. how sexy is that when it comes on the cam...

So.. Yeah I love it... and Im off out on it again later... then its off to the TT for practice week.. then I'm riding it to and around the Nurburgring from the 24th June before heading down to Italy for Raptorday.. so by july it should be time for a new set of tyres..!#

Anyone else meeting up at the Benelli meet at the TT?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Anyone else meeting up at the Benelli meet at the TT?
Yeah dude I leave this friday. Going from essex will be putting my bike and a mates R1 in a transit van. Will be back on the 9th.

I'm riding it to and around the Nurburgring from the 24th June
I wanna get myself down there too. Was gonna be going around July time too but may go a little earlier if another tre is on the circuit. Im a nurburgring (and Isle of Man) virgin so it should be a hoot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Hi Dean..

Ok well I'll probably see you at the Crosby.. and I'll expect to see you monowheeling past me across the mountain...!

As for the 'Ring.. I'll be there from the 24th thru to the 29th.. camping onsite...

... Anyone got any surefire starting tips.. or do they all take 3-4 cranks before they start?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Oh yeah.. and one more thing... is it normal for the dash to flash 'OIL'.. while the ignition is on but the engine not started (it disappears as soon as the engine IS started..)

I've checked the oil level (warm engine, oil halflway up the sight glass with the bike stood up?) and it seems ok...

TIA..

??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

yes thats normal, its an "oil pressure" warning, which comes on when there is not enough oil pressure. Ofcourse, when the engine isnt running, there is no oil pressure at all ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bolero

the reluctance by the tre and tnt to fire is mainly due to the thin wire of the battery loom fitted as standard, its about half as thick as the wire i had on my VTR, ,this thin wire has to much internal resistance, hence the poor starting and slow charging, Eugenia (errol) has a web site, (I dont have the link on me at present, I'm at uni, will post ASAP) where he added in another positive and negative wire of about 6mm diameter, So as Eugenia and other have done is they have two wires running to the stater motor and Eugenia runs another negative to a bolt on the rear of the engine, effectively this doubles the cross sectional size of the wire, apparently the bike starts much easier with this modification. The reason you cant just fit the whole battery loom with one thicker wire is the space behind the battery were the battery cables run wont allow it is because there isnt enough room for one big thick cacle, so you have to run two, I hope you understand, hopefully someone can post some pictures and the link again.
With the two wire you end up with two eyelets on the terminal of the battery, so you should have to get to slightly lonber bolts for the battery, as the stock ones are a little bit to short. I will do this mod as soon as i get the time, but everyone who has done it reports much improved starting. I seriously hope the bigger 1130cc Tornado's have thicker cables as standard :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: here ya go Bolero

What an excellent forum this is. Thanks everyone for for your help.. had a hard and fast ride last nite, first time out with other bikers.. jeez the Benelli is a handful, well in the sense that on fast bumpy B roads it takes some riding.. initial impressions are that everything is set way too hard, but then I come from a Raptor/VFR most recently owned, so maybe all sportsbikes are like this!.. back on smooth A's everything is fine but stuffing bumpy corners hard on the brakes certainly kept me concentrated... Im gonna check the tyre pressures and suspension settings tho, just for my own peace of mind..

412 Miles now. 2 cut-outs. and a stretched chain, anyone any tips for that as I dont have a paddock stand!

(does every other biker that looks at a Benelli have some generally unfunny explanation for the fans.. certainly that was the case last nite.. )

1 - 20 of 32 Posts