Benelli Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Saddle Bag instal ?? - RESOLVED

So after 4 months I have finally received my saddle bags for the TNT. - RESOLVED

Has anyone fitted them?

0f course they came with no instructions.
Even a sketch would be useful.

All I can tell is the mounting bracket attaches at one point to the upper most bolt that holds the passenger foot rest.

There is a strange looking triangular piece which I have no idea what to do with.

I'm guessing that the rear subframe has to come off to instal the bracket so instructions on how to that would be helpful as well.

Help as I don't want to mess it up.

·
Registered
332 Posts
saddle bags

Hi

If you mean the TNT branded ones, I've fitted them. You don't need to take the subframe off, and they don't fit on the footrest mounts. Sit on the ground and look for mounting holes on the INSIDE of the subframe, and to the rear of the footpeg mounts. You'll see they line up with the mounts. It's just 2 bolts per side.

The part that inserts in the bag itself is a bit easier to work out. Undo the velcro, slide them in, do up the velcro. They only fit in one way.

With mine, I've found that the bag frame doesn't stay all that well in the part that mounts on the bike, on one side at least. They are very neat, but good for light items only - carrying a lot of luggage isn't really what the TNT's about.

I can take some pictures and email them if you like - I've not worked out how to load pictures up on the Gallery.

Good luck

Robin

PS I've got a Ventura system on my Tuono - now that really is good for carrying weight. Might try to adapt it to the TNT one day...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Which luggage system have you got?

The older soft bags were simple to fit but the bags in the latest Benelli catalogue look completely different.

These are the original soft bags fitted to my bike. Fitting these is pretty simple - removing the muffler makes the job easier.

Cheers!

Mike

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

I have the newer TNT branded ones.

I see the two holes on the inside of the subframe, but still am clueless.

As to "two bolts" ummm I don't think so, this appears to be a different system.

Off to the garage to get some pics.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the hardware

It looks like to me you use the spacer to go between the bottom of the pasenger peg and the lower mounting hole on the bracket.

The small studs - you only use two of them and they attach the top of the mounting bracket to one of the holes on the inside of the subframe.

The top rear mounting hole on the footpeg is used to mount the upper most point of the mounting bracket.

This gives three points of contact.

But what is the odd shaped triangle piece for?
And why do I have so many extra bolts?

This appears to be a different system than what you guys may have seen before.

Thanks for continued input. Any more ideas?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Those are different. That triangular piece almost looks like it has something to do with the number plate bracket. it could be that it is some sort of replacement for the base TNT and sports which have a plastic mount. Just a thought. :) :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does kind of look like that but it is too wide.

I'm thinking it is somehow supposed to attach the right side to the left side by bridging across the top of the hugger. But that doesn't explain the 5 holes in the center of the piece.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Arrgh!!!!! it gets worse

So after tearing apart the back end I find that the saddlebags are not going to fit as the turn signals are in the way.

I can't see any other way for the brackets to mount.

As you can see in the photo the lower mount that attaches to the lower part of the footpeg doesn't quite line up. I'm sure I could persuade it to fit but there is no point as the signals interfere with the bags.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you take a look at the benelli catalogue, you can see on the "drawing" of the saddlebags that these must be fit in the position where we can see "benelli officine" very close of the tank ! Is it like that you've mounted yours ?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, that is the way I'm trying to mount them.

The bags are fairly symetrical so I have tried both ways.

The sketch shows the position of the bag relative to the seat and it appears to be riding much higher and further foreward than what I am experiencing.

There is no way the bracket supplied can attach to anything that will give the same position as in the sketch.

I am fairly confident I know where the bracket is supposed to go.

If I don't figure it out soon, I know I can "modify" the existing hardware and make it work. Point is I shouldn't have to. plus I'm stuborn.

I wish they showed a sketch of the mounting hardware.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I use the foreword most bolt on the pasenger footpeg mount, this pic shows that the bags are now positioned to clear the turn signals in the back.

problem is none of the bolts will line up except the one on the inside of the subframe. The remaining mounting point I will have to fabricate.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well after much pondering, I think I have it figured out.

In case anyone else buys these bags this at least provides a solution.

-the mounts get installed with the front two mounting points attaching to the passenger pegs.
- the top mounting point attaches to a stud that is installed in a mounting hole on the inside of the subframe.
-with this set up the bags will not fit due to the interference from the rear turn signals.
-the triangluar piece shown above is to relocate them to a lower position.
-this bracket gets mounted behind the plate holder.
Then there is no interference from the turn signals.

The overall effect is ugly to say the least. Imagine what the back looks like with the turn signals located opposite the bottom of the plate. Plus you are left with the holes where you removed the turn signals.

My solution was to move the brackets forward. There is a second mounting hole on the inside of the subframe that allows the whole assembly to move forward so that the 2 front mounting points are now in front of the passenger pegs. This means you have to fabricate your own bracket. I used 1/8 platesteel and secured it to the two passenger peg mounting holes..
You lose the use of the passenger pegs which is no big deal for me since I removed them before I ever rode the bike.
With this method you also can remove the brackets in 5 min.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts