Benelli Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having recieved an email from Mr Technical himself, Errol :bow: , it has got me thinking about safety, having survived a "Big Off" myself, I'm wondering what part my safety gear played ?

When I wrote my first Tornado off :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: , I walked away with just some bruising, which I felt very lucky about, however, my mate broke his collar bone and severley bruised his ribs, although in fairness I landed in soft undergrowth whereas my mate landed on tarmac !

My leathers were untouched and only a slight mark on my helmet, my mates jacket, which was made of Cordura and was totally Shagged !

So what safety gear would you Not do without ! I've never worn a back protector but this may inspire me to invest in one now !

Here's a copy of Errol's email from the guy who had the accident ~

Remember, the tree actually hit him, Not the other way round,

"Hey guys. Some of you may have heard about my bike accident a couple of weeks ago just out of Strathalbyn, SA. Unlucky for me (and my Blade), a 20m gum tree was blown down across the road and directly on top of me while I was riding past in a group at about 80km/hr. I only ended up with some deep bone bruising to my legs and some possible ligament and tendon damage, but otherwise there was nothing broken and my skin is intact. My helmet was pretty smashed up but managed to save my noggin, my leathers saved my skin and my back protector was broken but did it's job. The doctors said that I probably wouldn't be able to walk if I wasn't wearing it and my back was the only part that wasn't bruised! So a big thumbs up for all safety gear..... Not only have I had the worst luck in the world by being hit by a tree while riding and not the other way around, but I also just fitted some brand new Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's 2 days before. Doh! So all in all, I am doing well and I'm thrilled to be back at work today. I would like to thank everyone for their well wishes and also highly recommend to all riders that protective gear works. In the end it's your choice, but I would be a whole lot worse off without it. Now I'm just waiting for my insurance money to come through and then it's a bike shopping extravaganza. Attached are just some of the pictures of the accident. (There are a lot). "I mean really, hit by a tree?????" I no longer recycle because why save the trees if they are out to get me? TIC Heath."

P.S. I hope you don't mind me using these Errol, :D

www.engenia.com.au

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
No good with spanners....
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,418 Posts
OMFG!!!!!!

I never ride in jeans,only full leathers and boots for me.Dont use a back protector though,suppose i should but does that mean you need a bigger size of leathers to fit it in?:confused:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
No jeans for me, only full leathers, or a 2 piece textile suit in the wet/cold. I don't know how the latter would stand up to a crash, though. I've been off a few times on track, and the leathers always did their job.
I do recommend a back protector. In my skirmish with Silverstone tarmac recently, I would have broken my back without it. As it was, I fractured my cocxyx, which soon healed - minor, in comparison. I used to just wear the back protector on track, (I don't mean I went on track naked except for a back protector,:doh: you know what I mean:rolling: ), but now I use it all the time.
Shouldn't need to go up a size on your leathers. It can make it a bit tight when you first put it on, but it then tends to mould to your shape. I use a Knox - Highly recommended. There are hard shell types as well, although I have no experience of them.

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
319 Posts
Same with me. NEVER ride in jeans or some textile. If I ride, I wear leather one piece suit with seperate back protector inside.

I only have this one life and don´t want to spend my life in a wheelchair.

But for us, it´s easy to say. If you live in southern Florida or in Australia or other countried with temps around 35°C and up, I guess it´s a safety risk to wear leather gear as you will sweat a lot and lose your concentration as your body have to cope with it. For me, with the correct underwear, I don´t mind to ride my leather at 32°C. But it´s easy for me to stand high temps. Others might be a bit more sensitive.

Regards
Dirk

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Jezzarse

Was that tree from Lord of the Rings or Harry potter???:confused:

I wear a Knox hard skeletal back protector £90, and full amoured leathers in ALL weather, with the speed hump thingy on the back to help prevent my helmet going back in an accident.:D

Never come off. Thank god.;)

Glad he's okay!! :clap::clap: :clap:

·
Registered
885 Posts
I have to agree with all of the above, but the one most important piece which I see regularly missing around town especially is GLOVES, if you come off whilst nipping down to shop at end of the street without them the first thing you do is put your hands out to save the fall and then ouch! and for the next 3 weeks or more you aint gonna be able to take a piss or wipe your own butt!(or other activities which I wont add):bawl:
Funny story whilst up north with big al a young kid on a scooter pulled alongside us at traffic lights and had no gloves on and I told him the error of his ways and about the butt wiping thing, about 10 minutes later when we had stopped in town the same kid passed us wearing gloves:rolling:
Also proper boots with ankle protection
Dont want to even start about the t-shirt and shorts in summer.
I know a guy who fell off whilst wearing jeans and starfished his way down the road on his front and now his C**K is no more round shapen but semi circular nearly died from injuries!

·
Still trying!
490 Posts
Got to agree with Kiddy on this .. have broken my fingers twice in bike crashes -- hate to think what would have happened with no gloves. I started wearing a back protector all the time about 5 years ago and only know that in my one road crash and several track spills since my back has always been ok. The other really important thing is good boots. Might not be very comfortable but compared with broken ankles ....... . Sadly a couple of my racing pals opted for comfort this year rather than safety and used touring boots .. they are both immobile at the moment. No joke if you are self employed and not in the first flush of youth!! (both are granddads). Believe it hurts like hell too.

On that cheerful note I am heading for the garage to start prepping the bike for the last race of the season.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
What a lot of wimps.............you can't beat a good set of trainers, track suit bottoms and a short sleeved t-shirt for a good ride out during the Summer. :clap:

Here is a pic of someone in what I call 'good riding gear' :doh:

·
T900 TRE is the plate!
434 Posts
Although I agree with you all on leathers and protection I must mention something that happened to my mate Andy Hayhurst's brother duting a race on the Isle of Man.

His brother parted company with his 125 and slid past a marshal on his back. The marshal remarked that he was smiling through his visor. Next thing he went over a kerb and the back protector pushed up and pushed the back of the helmet forward snapping his neck killing him outright. The day was rounded off by Andy's missus rushing round to tell father about the accident and she lost contorl and crashed into one of the lakes in Cumbria. She drowned whilst anglers fought to get her out of the car. Evidently the central locking was immobilised by the water and she was not concious.

Andy buried his brother and missus in the same week, both died due to protection failing.

Andy ended up marrying his brothers wife - united in grief. They celebrate their 6th wedding aniversary soon.

Protection occasionally causes the problem, thankfully very rarely though.
Dave

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
its each to there own but from my own experience ,you know the one i did not see him officer type of off .If i had not had on my gear i would probably be dead .2 years on and still recovering but i am still here and riding .I cringe at the kids on those scooters no gloves with just a t shirt and shorts on .

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
That's a hell of a story, Dave:doh: . I'll still go for the protection, though.
If the poor chap hadn't been wearing a helmet, back protector etc, he probably would have been dead before he reached the curb.
Tragic, nonetheless.

Cheers,
Ian

·
5,934 Posts
Protection of a different kind, takes the life it was meant to save

...Protection occasionally causes the problem, thankfully very rarely though.
A bloke in the next suburb to me lost his life this morning, due to a "safety" fence.
He ran over a roo that had been left on the road after being hit by a truck (probably). He parted company with his bike (the 3 wheeled scooter in the background) and smashed his helmet into the support post of a wire rope "safety" fence.
No explanation as to why he didn't see the roo, but running over it shouldn't have resulted in his death. The blame sits firmly on the shoulders of the local government body that erected the lethal fence.
Almost out of shot, on the right, is the rope fence. The cops have marked the path to his demise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts